All reviews chef gregor solar power the main house mother nature perfect summer stand up paddle boarding fabulous experience finnish sauna tranquil setting other guests full moon vegan options studio cabin winter retreat power lines organic food grid
Reviewed October 4, 2013

we had an excellent guide in Kieran, who did a great job of balancing a wide age range of vistors and getting them engaged. The gear provided was top-notch for kayaking, canoeing, paddleboarding, biking, and canoeing. The property was beautiful and well maintained. the food provided was outstanding. The hosts were gracious.
I would highly recommend this to any fellow Canadians, but especially to foreign tourists to experience a truly "Canadian" experience.

The best part about it was being completely unplugged and offline. My partner and I spent a wonderful weekend together with no electronic distractions. We didn't even have access to a tv to watch the Leafs. Instead, we laid on the dock and looked for satellites and talked.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2015

Thank you.
We know it's a stretch to go unplugged for a few days.
There are few places one can travel in North America and truly unplug. We like to think of the Edge as an oasis of sorts from technology.

Thank you for appreciating that aspect of a stay at Northern Edge.

Cheers,

Reviewed September 12, 2013

On behalf of 437 (T) SQN from the Canadian Forces, we would like to express our utmost gratitude for the absolutely challenging, cohesive, outstanding and truly enjoyable team-building experience that we were proud to be part of at Northern Edge Algonquin Park.

First off, we all agree to the fact that the guides were very professional, fun, approachable, down-to-earth and cognizant. They were more than just a guide, they were part of the group and spent time getting to know us throughout our late-night bonfires.
We asked for a challenge and they gave us one; Portage and Canoeing combined, we have completed approximately 45 kilometers in 26 hours; pretty impressive!

Everything we saw, from scenery to nature was absolutely breathtaking! The water was so very calm and all was so quiet, the weather couldn't have been any more perfect! We were thankful that the guides took the extra time to show us one of their favorite spots, the waterfalls!

All the food that was supplied was top-of-line; all high-quality ingredients, meat, bread, granola bars; the guides ensured that we were never hungry throughout our adventure and there was never a meal that was missed.

All the equipment provided was also top-of-the-line and in great shape; new tents, sleeping bags, good quality rucksacks, foam pads, canoes, etc... Nobody had any problems with a leaky tent, all equipment was fully serviceable.

After our exhausting but incredibly rewarding adventure, each individual from the group was assigned to a small insulated cabin / lodge where a comfortable bed awaited them. Which is appreciated and relaxing way to spend the last night so that each person has an equal opportunity to catch up on a full night's rest and have a very comfortable sleep.

Before heading to sleep, we were all treated to a mouthwatering home-cooked pasta Supper that filled out bellies with delight. The meal was also served with beer that was provided by "Highlander Brewery" which we all very much loved.

The experience overall was exactly what we were looking for at our SQN and without a doubt, we will love to be able to do something similar to this once again at some point in the future. Thank you for the excellent adventure and experience!

Highly recommended to everyone of all ages! Doesn't matter if you're looking for an adventure or just coming to relax, you will enjoy it either way!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2015

Hi Jordan,
Thank you for requesting an over-the-top adventure in Algonquin Park. Our team of guides appreciate the opportunity to push themselves from time to time and help our guests test their edges. We are happy your team of Forces members got the adventure they were seeking.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I will keep going back for sure. Quiet peaceful place, friendly staff and amazing food. Clean, comfortable accommodations had me sleeping like a baby. When I close my eyes I can hear the water dripping from my paddle as it gently lifts from the water and the loons calling in that unique way that they do. I can smell the fragrant cooking and the way that my mouth starts salivate in preparation. I feel the soft quiet breeze on my face as I sit on the dock and stare out at the lake. I can see the vivid colours of the sunrise on the misty lake. Truly a place of deep peace with incredible people.
Now those are memories I will hang on to...

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Peace-believer

As relaxed as melted butter! You might have spent a bit too much time in the sauna. Be sure to jump in the lake and bring your core temperature back down. We wouldn't want you to have an oily mess to clean in your car when it's time to head home.

Thank you for sharing how your visit helped you slow down and appreciate nature.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I went to the Edge for the Explorer's Cabin and had a great time! It was so lovely to get back to nature, there's nothing like looking at the stars so far away from the light pollution of the city. (How romantic!) The facilities were well kept, the staff was very friendly and helpful and knowledgeable about everything I asked them. The food was great too! (Thanks Greg) I love how they try to use local food and think it's great they use solar power. All around great experience and looking forward to booking my next trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jillian G

Thank you for your review Gillian. The Explorer's Cabin experience is a nice way to experience Algonquin Park with a bit more comfort than an overnight canoe adventure.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Did the Labor Day Weekend Wolf Howl Canoe trip. Excellent guides (Kim and Jeff). Extrememly knowledgeable of canoeing, camping, animals, plants, stars, etc. Relaxed trip were participants decided how much or little we wanted to do (including cooking and clean up). Spent the weekend on the lake with no other crew within sight or sound. Wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask Jeff to do one of his animal calls. Take advantage of the wonderful sauna.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2015

Thank you!
Some times of the year are great for exploring Algonquin Park without a lot of other folks around. Even when the park is busy it seems quite remote and special. In the fall, it's quiet and it seems we have thousands of square miles all to ourselves . . . aside from the wildlife of course.

cheers,