All reviews chef gregor solar power the main house mother nature perfect summer stand up paddle boarding finnish sauna natural beauty yoga retreat vegan options tranquil setting other guests beautiful lake full moon studio cabin winter retreat power lines
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I go back for a pizza party at Northern Edge with my family every year. We have been going now for nine years and it just keeps getting better and better. We love the warm welcome. What a truly amazing group of people. The pizza oven rocks. It is a wonderful way to share a meal together. I love making the pizza as a group as do my kids. It is such a joy. The surroundings are beautiful and the pizza is amazing. We always feel welcome. Lesley Gilbert, Spain (1995 - 2013 )

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Hi Lesley, Can't wait to fire up the pizza oven again soon! Gregor and the team treasure opportunities to share the experience with folks from all over the world who enjoy the creations that come out of the magical bake oven in the forest . . . ~ Todd.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

A repeat trecker, I thoroughly enjoy my trips up here. So fresh, clean, peaceful and friendly. Always astonished about the clean water and big sky. Northern Lights blow me away! Learned how to roll a kayak in Kawawaymog Lake - very cool.
PDTArchitect

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2015

Thank you for sharing your story.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have been blessed to participate in so many adventures in this exquisite location and with a most dedicated and caring group of people. Our family has joined Northern Edge on many great experiences and have fallen in love with the people behind this most gracious group... They are dedicated to bring a soulfull experience to all that show up and pay attention to all the details which make for a first class show... Thank you Northern Edge for many years of great adventures, fabulous food Gregor and a down right spirited joy... a life everafter... cheers ger..

Room tip: Many options for that optimal experience..
Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write!
Sorry it took so long to respond.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Upon seeing photos of ice hockey on the late at Northern Edge, I couldn't have anticipated what the journey would really be like. My 10 year old son had never been in such a natural setting in the winter time, so the two of us set out for a three day trip. Arriving after dinner the first of a two night stay, we were able to cozy up inside the main lodge where Todd and Martha maintain a library alongside the dining area that would be a treat to explore had we the time.

With only one full day to enjoy from sun up to sun down, we had a nourishing warm breakfast in the main lodge, before being coaxed to join in a snowshoe adventure. While I wasn't surprised to see many wild animal tracks, I was surprised that we were able to follow the tracks through the woods for more than a few hundred metres. We were spoiled by perfect footing with our snowshoes only breaking a few inches into the crisp snow. Although my camera wouldn't shoot in the cold, the hour-long hike was my highlight experience. My animal-loving son's mid-hike quote "This is better than Disney World!"

Our hockey experience was unlike any even most Canadians can attest to. The echo of pucks and skates and sticks is something my son will always remember. Later that night, he insisted on skating solo under the spotlight marking the cleared ice, and truth be told, he would have been happy if that was all we experienced.

Beyond that, we drew super large faces on the surface of the lake by snowshoeing patterns; we did some tandem kick-sledding; we fed seeds to a variety of birds (and squirrels no doubt). And thankfully, we also took time to just sit inside, enjoying the view and the quiet, and friendly conversation with other guests. Just sitting in the lodge to play a board game was a different experience without the digital distractions that absorb our attention at home.

We'll be back... maybe for a fall weekend next time.

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2015

Thank you for your winter wonderland story. I think it's my favourite season. :)

Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

The place was total BAIT AND SWITCH. Their website presents a lovely long weekend scenario but we were presented with a student hostel setup.

Their website had described local fare and that they take pride in eating seasonally. We were served Thai chicken with rice the first night! With two-bite brownies from the grocery store as dessert!

The cafe setup they described is not a cafe AT ALL! We are offered a kettle and various boxes of teas and a coffee-for-one maker... prepackaged granola bars and oranges.

If you like to enjoy wine with dinner or any alcoholic cocktails - don't even think about it! They have a dry policy just cause. They offer wine one night for an hour. It's very strange.

They had an international youth working as as unpaid labourer when we where there. And, they couldn't seem to explain the education or other value he was receiving other then food and a spot for his tent in the woods.

We were told to stay away from the main house which is where the owners and family stay. The main house is right in the middle of the whole camp so you feel you have to tip toe around the master's house.

I can go on...but, the total misrepresentation of this place is so under-handed...it makes you feel so cheated.

Please find another spot to enjoy yourselves on a long weekend where you won't feel cheated.

Date of stay: May 2013
3  Thank Naturelover0000
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Hi NatureLover0000,
I live in the mainhouse at the Edge and enjoy meeting a wide variety of travelers who come from all over the world for our Explorer's Log Cabin experiences, retreats and wilderness adventures. I am sorry we did not get to meet during your visit.

Thank you for taking the time to share your reflections on your stay with us at the Edge. Indeed the Edge is quite different from a hotel or conference centre. I'm sorry your experience was not what you were looking for. Our food pages clearly describe the international style of our foods you refer to. "Cooking at the Edge focuses on balancing globally far-flung tastes with provincially produced foods. While seasonal menus are inspired by flavors from afar, we seek to prepare our meals with ingredients raised closer to home." Local farmers did indeed raise your chicken and some of the food on your plate came fresh from our garden. All of our food is prepared with care an attention.

Our Points North Cafe carries Algonquin Tea company teas as well as many others, and we provide organic fair trade coffee - all of it hand poured by our staff and available at no charge throughout the day.

Our Welcome book faq's describe how our solar-powered property and Algonquin Park trails have natural uneven footing and are not well lit at night. For everyone's safety and enjoyment, "Guests at the Edge are not permitted to bring their own alcohol because it would interfere with our ability to deliver safe, memorable experiences which can take place at all times of the day." Complimentary servings of locally brewed Highlander Ales and Ontario Viewpointe Estates wine is presented by Edge staff as an accent to experiences at mealtime. We hope you appreciated the taste of some of Ontario's best beer and wine as our gift.

Once again thank you for your review. We will continue to do our best to ensure our guests have the best of care.

Please call me directly if you wish to discuss your experience further 888.535.7510.

~ Todd Lucier