All reviews chef gregor solar power the main house mother nature perfect summer stand up paddle boarding finnish sauna natural beauty yoga retreat vegan options tranquil setting other guests beautiful lake full moon studio cabin winter retreat power lines
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic and well organised setup and operation is managed by all staff. Kim and Jeff's warm welcome and knowledge of the great outdoors. Our son loved Jeff's fireside stories and I heard him relay the story to a friend later in our holiday.
Greg the chef - boy the man can cook. The food at the retreat and during our camping experience was extremely tasty. Having eaten at some gourmet restaurants I can say hand on heart that the food Greg turned out was of equal quality.
Our guide Tom was fantastic with us and our children. He was an inspiration to our son and sympathetic to our daughter when she needed reassurance. His knowledge, patience, maturity, professionalism and attentiveness were demonstrated in bucket fulls. His removal of his shirt was truly appreciated by my wife and daughter along with the female members of the other camp.
Mother Nature was extremely kind to us and we felt blessed to have shared the experience with her and all the natural beauty that surrounded us.
All the staff were very well appointed and incredible at putting everyone at ease where any apprehension was felt.
Kieran (the other guide) was a complete contrast to to Tom and they were both well matched to their respective groups. When Tom and Kieran were together they had a great rapport which shone through and helped the fun of the camps.
If you're considering going on a similar adventure I would certainly advise you go and do it. It will be challenging but extremely satisfying and a great achievement.

Date of stay: August 2014
2  Thank martinbevt
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Thank you for writing about your canoe adventure with Tom. Our guides certainly do their best to provide a memorable Algonquin Park experience . . . although not always with their shirts off!

We hope you can visit again soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

This l text box doesn't seem to be enough to express the outstanding experience we had with Kieran and Tom on the Wildlife Safari Wolf Howl. Not only were we surrounded in beauty, but Kieran and Tom's professionalism, expertise, encouragement, patience, endurance and adventurous personalities are what really made this experience a one-of-a-kind. Because the trip is really "roughing it" and you're quite far removed from civilization, having confidence in your guide is essential to enjoying this type of experience – and that we did!

This trip is a quest for beauty, for peace, and for solitude, but you do all that with a small group of people who have the power to make or break the experience. I really believe the leaders/tour guides have the power to set the tone for a trip like this, and with our group, we spent most of the time in belly laughter or admiring the park in silence. They catered our trip based on our requests and dealt with any hurdles with such professionalism and ease (so impressed!).

Meal time was one of my favourite times, as we all would come together like a little community to watch Chef Kieran put together a great little meal from the barrels using odds'n'ends from the backpacks. The fact that the meals were adjusted to accommodate all types of diets demonstrated how well planned the trip was. That said, I can't pick a single favourite moment because there were too many!

I would also like to acknowledge the warm welcomes we received when we first arrived to Northern Edge, and when we arrived back from the trek. Kim and Jeff have it down to a fine art! They made me feel at home instantly, and had taken the time to get to know each of us individually prior to arrival. By the time we left Northern Edge, I actually wanted to quit my job, and turn the car around to beg for a job at the Edge.

In the end, I really can't say enough about Northern Edge, this Wolf Howl adventure, our group, and Kieran and Tom. If you are considering this type of retreat, I highly encourage you to JUST DO IT and go into it with an open heart and an expectation that no matter what happens, you'll find your inner peace while on this trip.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Cassie R

Hi Cassie,
Thank you for taking the time to share the story of your memorable adventure at Algonquin Park with the team at Northern Edge Algonquin. It really means a lot to each of us that you took the time to compliment them on their contributions to your stay.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Myself, my wife, my son & daughter (age 11 & 15) did the Tea with Moose explorers cabin package. We went canoeing up the Amable river, mountain biking and paddle boarding. We stayed in the cabins which were very comfortable. Chef Gregs food was outstanding but the best part was our guides, Jeff and Kim, who were great teachers and great friends. We had a superb time. If going in July just remember your Mozzie repellent!

Trip type: Travelled with family
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2015

Thank you for sharing your story of the Morning Tea with Moose experience! While many folks visit Canada and experience the landmark attractions, for many, Algonquin Park is sometimes the most memorable part of the journey.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We were part of a group of 18 people that just returned from the 4 day/3 night explorers cabin experience at the Northern edge. It was excellent! We did know 2 other people in the group, but we did not know the others. You can choose to do whichever activities you want, but there would always be some others participating along side, and we all got along so well. The place is peaceful, beautiful, calming. I enjoyed learning to be a paddleboarder. Our CEO's Jeff and Kim are the best. They provided expert guidance, knowledge and teaching as needed. Chef Gregor was equally talented - ensuring that we had fresh and tasty food! He is a world class chef and we were not disappointed. I cannot say enough good things about our experience. If you are considering this adventure, I would highly recommend it - go for it! Brenda

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi Brenda,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your review of your experience at the Edge this summer. I really want to express my gratitude on behalf of our team for taking a moment to share your appreciation of the care you received.

We hope you can visit again in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

the setting is idyllic, the staff are warm, knowledgeable and excellent teachers. the food was extraordinarily good..interesting, creative recipes and just too much of everything! the activities were varied:kayaking, hiking, paddle boarding (easy and fun) canoeing etc. wonderful library to borrow from and read (if there's time), rec centre for snacks, cards etc and a sauna for after excursions. U WILL LOVE IT!
paulette handelsman (toronto)

Room tip: separate cottages..pine floors, fresh and clean, ample heating for cold nights
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hi Paulette,
Thank you for sharing your story. I love the headline you chose. It captures the essence of what we are trying to deliver for every guest.

~ Todd