All reviews chef gregor solar power the main house mother nature perfect summer stand up paddle boarding finnish sauna natural beauty yoga retreat vegan options tranquil setting other guests beautiful lake full moon studio cabin winter retreat power lines
Reviewed September 20, 2014

I am a 21 year old girl and really want to reach out to the younger population when I say do not overlook this amazing place! This place is beautiful, spiritual, fun as all hell and just so homey. I adore this place. I experienced stand up paddle boarding for the first time and canoed on the most gorgeous lake! The areas in which you eat and do yoga in are so beautiful and the food is to die for! Take the time to enjoy this place and jump in with both feet. The staff will not disappoint you they are the kindest and most welcoming people!

Date of stay: September 2014
2  Thank RobinG1365
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2015

Hi Robin,
Thank you for writing to encourage younger people to consider a visit to Northern Edge Algonquin. We host a number of young folks throughout the year and some of them are inspired to take on a career in outdoor adventure, ecotourism or go into environmental careers.

We hope your visit still brings up good memories. We hope you come and visit us again some time in the future.

All the best,
Todd.

Reviewed September 14, 2014

We keep coming back to Northern Edge because we can count on a wonderful experience with guides that graciously go up and beyond!

Thanks to the expertise, work ethic and flexibility of our guides our trip was an amazing experience. This year our guides Kieran and Tom brought their skill and kindness to some major challenges from our group of 7 and the weather! Despite the difficulties they faced, both were always positive, professional and adaptable. I am so thankful that we had such a full experience- canoeing, hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, mountain biking and more!

Last year, along with another group, I go to experience the joy of a Canoeing and Camping trip with Chris and Kieran as the guides. They ensured that our trip was fun and meaningful! We chose an island in the park to camp on, shared stories and songs around the camp fire, and witnessed a beautiful sunrise, and stooped from some adventurers on our canoe ride back!

The entire Northern Edge Algonquin team is wonderful! Each trip the food prepared by the chef was delicious fuel - with dietary restrictions were carefully accommodated so that no one missed out. The accommodations are just what I would want, beautifully simple, clean, and well maintained. I particularly appreciate that they use solar power and other green technologies.

Working for a non-for-profit that helps "at risk youth", I particularly appreciate the level of accommodation and genuine kindness from staff. Thanks Northern Edge for making sure the groups we bring always get the most out of their Algonquin Park experience!

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2015

Hey Mary, Thank you for sharing the story of your Algonquin Park adventure by canoe. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

~ Todd.

Reviewed September 7, 2014

The details of our weekend excursion lead us to believe that we were headed on a high class journey into the Algonquin wilderness. Oh, we did head on a journey into the Algonquin wilderness, but certainly not high class. I believe that this company over charges their guests for what is included in the packages, and leads guests to believe completely different from what will actually be taking place. We love the wilderness, we love adventure, and we love getting our hands dirty. However, we walked into that weekend thinking that a relaxing paddle across some lakes is just what we needed to unwind, having gourmet "chef" cooked food, accessories and living accommodations being provided and carried for us as well as a cool portage or two to stay fit. NOPE. We ended up needing a vacation from our vacation. Packs weighing in at 85 lbs. We were not warned as to what footwear to be wearing or even the basics of what to expect. Sorry. I could go on and on.

Basically, I loved the experience, I just wish that the company didn't charge so much considering we did all of the work, cook, clean, set up and take down. I also wish that this company would provide correct information, detailed information and accurate information to its' clients prior to their trip so that there is no miscommunication.

Room tip: Choose one by the lake or with a double bed. Otherwise you will get bunk beds.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Canaussie17
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2014

Thank you for providing a review of your canoe trip experience. Our team provides a full welcome package of information for all of our experiences. Our Algonquin Park adventures are experiential journeys where our guests learn hands-on how to travel overnight in canoes and camp in Algonquin Park. Our guests help us choose a level of adventure that is based on their desires - giving them experiences off-the-beaten track, sometimes with a bit more portaging when requested. Our lodge-based stays offer days of adventure with more creature comforts including sleeping in a bed under a feather duvet. Choosing the most appropriate adventure or lodge-based experience is a shared decision-making process. We hope your Algonquin Park adventure provided the experience you were looking for.

Reviewed September 4, 2014

Well this place is pretty much as advertised, if you stay at the centre expect a mixture of glamping and a spiritual retreat. I stayed here one night before setting off on a 3 day canoe trip in a small group with one of the guides. The food was very good and the regime similar to a youth hostel - if you like your mod-cons then don't go. The cabins which you stay in are scattered through the woods surrounding the main building - they are well appointed for what they are but do suffer from the damp atmosphere and no electric lighting seems to be a pointless and inconvenient ommission.

The canoe trip was quite good and the guide pleasant, hard working and competent but it didn't live up to my expectations. I think the key things to understand about these trips are:

If the wind gets up it will limit your ability to range across some of the larger lakes.
The wildlife is almost impossible to spot because the area is densely wooded.
There is a wide range of abilities in the groups which will limit what you can do to the least capable. I for example ended up in a small group with a 6 year old girl on board on her first trip and it was really just too much for her.
The flies and mosquitos are vicious if they are active, I tried non DEET repellants as requested but still got bitten a lot (but not badly enough to spoil the holiday). It's probably best to bring both types and break out the DEET if it becomes intolerable.

Good enough I suppose but I would have liked to range much further and do more.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank David H

Hi David.
Thank you for taking the time to share your story.
While most of our cabins have solar-powered electrical lights our forest canvas cabins do not yet feature electrical service. Most guests staying in these cabins are going on an overnight camping canoe trip, so we've never really thought about adding electrical lights to these spaces.

Recent availability of LED lighting has made it possible to add lights to these cabins. In fact, in late 2014 we renovated the entire facility adding LED lights throughout. The amount of power we're saving now makes adding lights to these cabins a real possibility. Stay tuned!

We encourage guests to do things here that they might not be able to do anywhere else, so we ask our guests to leave their technology at home and connect with our Algonquin Park forest. Despite the lack of visible technology, there are quite a few technological marvels behind the scenes - making power from the sun the most obvious. Most guests are surprised at the level of care we provide despite being off-the-grid so far from the big city. The only modern convenience we ask guests to leave at home is blow dryers which use a tremendous amount of power and would damage our electrical system.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful Explorers weekend. We slept in a cozy, canvas-roofed cottage. The bed was warm and comfortable with our duvet despite the rainy weather. The food that was prepared for us by Gregor and Alistair was delicious. I have celiac disease and the chefs made sure that I always had alternatives. Be prepared to gain weight. Jeff, Kim, and Kieran were excellent guides. We had a canoe/kayak trip into Algonquin Park with a picnic lunch. We also went paddle-boarding and then had a delightful afternoon in the wood-fired sauna and swimming. The facilities were beautiful and very clean. Overall, a wonderful experience and we will certainly be returning.

Room tip: If you aren't a camper, you might prefer a more traditional cabin. If you like tenting, try the canvas covered cabins.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Thank you for sharing the story of your stay with us at the Edge. Our team appreciates you mentioning their contributions.
We hope you can visit us again soon.

Todd.