Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews chef gregor retreat algonquin winter campfire lake cabin
Selected filters
Reviewed July 12, 2018

Northern Edge Algonquin exceeded our expectations. It was a fabulous place to spend 3 nights in such a peaceful, beautiful setting on Lake Kawawaymog. My husband and I enjoyed the entire UP NORTH experience. We were there on a perfect summer weekend, and spent our time swimming, biking, hiking, paddle boarding, canoeing, relaxing and meeting/enjoying other guests. Courtney, our group leader was so instrumental in keeping the group of 14 engaged for the weekend. She was a great teacher for the water sports and her main concern was that everyone enjoyed the experience and was meeting the guests’ expectations. She never pressured anyone to participate. There was ample time to spend on your own or join in with the group. It truly was an unplugged weekend, with no cell phone or internet access, but in a good healthy way. The only thing I truly missed was Google and sharing my wonderful experience instantly with my friends on FB.
The food, 3 hearty meals daily, was nutritious and delicious. I have never been away for 4 days and had such consistently awesome food and beverages. Greg the chef is a master in the kitchen, and you can tell he loves what he does. Loved the trifle!!!
The accommodations are perfect. We spent 3 nights in a studio cabin, with a compost toilet and running cold water. It was very comfortable, clean and in a tranquil setting in the bush, yet close to the main buildings and the lakefront.
The main area, which includes a large building that houses a common area for meeting and lounging, an upper area for yoga, meditation and reflexology, also has very nice, clean showers and washrooms.
The dining area is in the main house, and overlooks the lake. It is set up perfectly to have the opportunity to talk with other guests. Guests chip in and wash and dry the dinner dishes (not the preparation pots and pans).
The entire place runs off the grid, with a backup generator. That proved to be very beneficial for the weekend we were there, as the entire surrounding area was without power for about 3 days, caused by a major storm on our first night, that took down a lot of trees and power lines nearby. If we had not been told about the power issue at other places, we would have been oblivious to the situation, as Northern Edge ran so very smoothly all weekend.
My husband and I agree it was a fabulous experience and we would love to return. Thanks to all who made our weekend such a pleasant experience!!!

Room tip: Studio cabins have a composting toilet and running water. Worth the upgrade.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank Karen_1960
Todd L, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2018

Karen!
Thank you for sharing the story of your visit. It can be hard to express how special these guest experiences can be, especially when we get to meet such wonderful visitors from around the world. We hope you can visit us again.

Todd

Reviewed July 11, 2018

The weekend experience was amazing! Mother nature flexed her muscle with quite the lightning storm. Solar power trumps power lines down nearby! Gregor is SO amazing with mouthwatering dishes every meal. Stories about ingredients and recipes.
Our weekend facilitator, Courtney was a cheerful, positive, delight, and got us up on standup paddleboards! The group there was such a wonderful mix- two young women from Belgium, Francis with his telescope showing us jupiter and Saturn! S'mores at fireside, two Masters international soccer players, an artist from Australia, and her 70+Mom who is more adventurous than most of us! A wonderful session with Jill, releasing our inner artist, and enjoying Tom Thompson's story. Too many wonderful experiences. SO hoping to come again. Thank you Todd, Marsha, and Tim, for opening your home

Room tip: A Canvas sided cabin was perfect, reminiscent of camp, comfortable even in the heat, as in treed area
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank T3558QCanneb

It was indeed a wonderful time sharing experiences with our guests. It was wonderful to be in the dining room and on the hive deck with an inspiring group of travels appreciating our home in nature.

Thank you for writing about it.

Todd

Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Meals were outstanding. Hosts were very warm and inviting. Facilities were beautiful and made it easy to enjoy nature. Would recommend to anyone looking for quiet, nature and to unplug- there is no internet service or phones-Can't wait to come back!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Todd L, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2018

Thank you for appreciated our unplugged nature.

Reviewed February 21, 2018

We went with some friends for an enjoyable escape from work into the outdoors and we were not let down! It was a wonderful facility and the staff were so kind and welcoming. Our cabin was rustic and it felt like a genuine lakeside experience! We will definitely be going back again in the summer! Or maybe we will try a winter retreat. Who knows :)

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Erik M

Hi Erik,
Thank you for joining us at the Edge. We look forward to your next visit.
Todd.

Reviewed February 17, 2018 via mobile

It is hard to describe in words how much I love the Edge. Felling beyond grateful for an experience filled with awe and wonder. Far more fulfilling than a week down south and has restored my childhood love of the winter! Every person, place and thing at the Edge contributed to an experience that left me replenished, whole and happier than I had been in months. Arriving depleted, frustrated and unhealthy, staff at the Edge helped me figure out how to help myself. Leaving me able to replenish myself in my regular crazy and hectic life!! Thank you Martha, Gwyneth, Eric and Gregor! And everyone else!!!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo

Hi Joanne,
Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you could appreciate slowing down and joining us for an unplugged retreat.
Todd.