“Fabulous Restaurant/Pub with a Real Country Feel”
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Burcombe
Price range: US$9 - US$21
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Healthy, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Following reopening the pub has now been restored to its former glory of many years ago before closure. A complete and thorough tasteful refurbishment inside and out retaining the original character of the building and returning it to its rightful place as the village pub. The wonderfull but neglected garden is now a delight for all featuring fabulous flower displays, a well stocked waterfall fed pond leading down to the mill stream at the bottom of the garden. A quintessential english pub with local beers, renowned wines and spirits and of course food produced from fresh local produce and all prepared to order - a rarity in todays world.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I ate here with a group of 8 family members including children between 13 and 3. We ordered the fish and chips, steak and ale pie, chicken, shared roast and all of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. There is no kids menu but you can choose anything from the adults menu to downsize.
I shared the roast with my husband and I have to say, it was the tastiest roast I have ever had (and too large to finish)! My young children (6 & 3) enjoyed their chicken meal despite being very fussy eaters.
As we entered the pub we were met by the subtle smell of a open fire roaring in the corner, a dog sleeping underfoot and just generally a lovely homely atmosphere.
Staff were attentive, informative and friendly.
There is a small outdoor garden also.
A real secret gem hidden away!

1  Thank Annabel M

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Well,that’s it really! We’ve been before for quiz nights and in hot weather we have eaten in the lovely garden . Today was our anniversary....so no expense spared....we had Sunday lunch! It was warm with log fire. Lynn behind the bar and doing three peoples work was super efficient and very personable. Such a pleasure these days!
Lunch was huge...lots of tasty rare beef with 7 different vegs and Yorkshire pud and horseradish and gravy and really hot plates.
Lots of locals. Busy ,clean with good ale. The chef thanked personally as she deserved it! All in all ,a pleasing experience in all aspects. We will go again before our next anniversary!!

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Visited for Sunday lunch. Nice friendly and helpful staff. Sunday roast excellent, Fish and Chips very tasty, desserts again very good. But why oh why on a cold winter's day would you not light the fire? It was chilly where we were sat. A member of staff did switch on a small electric heater but to a little effect. I see from a previous review that they made a similar comment. What a shame can't fault the food but will wear thermals next time!

3  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 18 January 2018

We received a warm welcome but the temperature inside the pub was decidedly cool, with a draught across my legs.
The selection of malts was poor but the rose wine was acceptable.
I ordered salmon and cod pie that was well flavoured and piping hot that arrived in good time.

2  Thank paulF5692MX
Reviewed 14 January 2018

Visited The Ship this evening and was pleasantly surprised at the warm friendly welcome. The atmosphere throughout was the same. Spotlessly clean, varied menu that suited both my husband, son and myself. My son chose a Steak burger,husband roast Beef and myself roast Lamb. Daniel the host was very friendly and attentive without being pushy or overbearing. We noted someone else food being brought out it smelt so lovely I hoped when ours arrived we would not be disappointed.
I felt we did not have too long a wait for our meal and oh boy was it worth the wait!!! We were delighted with presentation and above all it was freshly cooked and HOT!! The roast Lamb was the best I have ever tasted in a VERY long time. My Husband said the same about the roast Beef. We didn't hear a great deal from our son he was too busy eating which was an excellent sign. The food was more than plentiful and I was unable to eat anything else however my husband and son both had deserts, one being lemon and lime cheesecake and the other toffee nut crunch which they both agreed were absolutely delicious. Very reasonably priced really lovely evening. Our thanks to the staff; Daniel, Nicky, Karen, Iveta. I would very highly recommend a visit and hope it will not be too long before we visit again.

4  Thank Marie E