Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews every morning beach chairs poke bowl the entire staff croissants beach service floor rooms have pool is small but nice nespresso machine unforgettable vacation beachside restaurant beautiful hotel moment you arrive feel right at home every employee well equipped kitchenette toes in the sand
Selected filters
Reviewed October 24, 2022

Our first visit to St. Martin was made to be so relaxing and serene thanks to our stay at La Playa Orient Bay. My husband and I spent 5 nights at La Playa and we gladly would have stayed 5 more!

Our typical day started by opening the "blackout" shades from our patio, opening up to a breathtaking view of the beach and Orient Bay. Our Junior Deluxe Suite was well-appointed, including a large kitchenette, rain shower head, couch (with pull-out bed), and a comfortable king-sized mattress.

With the beach right outside the door, most of our day was spent lounging. There are beach chairs reserved for hotel guests, so you never have to worry. Julian and Alex were our attentive waitstaff, ensuring we stayed hydrated and shaded.

You could eat your lunch on the beach (same menu), but we often opted to sit at the beach restaurant. Mariale, our waitress, was one of our favorites, but the entire staff was extremely kind. There is a focus on fresh seafood and sushi, but we also enjoyed other seasonal faves such as the watermelon feta salad.

Perhaps it was because we came in the early season, but the beach service and restaurant both closed at 5pm. If you need to continue swimming, the hotel's pool stays open until 8:30pm. And, while La Playa isn't a "resort", there are plenty of things within walking distance, that it feels like you don't have to travel far. Just next door to La Playa includes Yellow Sub, La Piment, a small grocery store, just to name a few.

If you do need to leave the hotel, the staff has you covered and can either help rent a car for you (on-site), or arrange taxi services. This level of hospitality was such a lovely experience thanks to Katy and her team. In fact, their hospitality came through months earlier-- we has to last--minute cancel our initial trip in February due to a family emergency. Katy was so accommodating and helped us re-arrange our trip. She had zero obligation to provide this to us, so we are so impressed and thankful.

All in all, if you are looking for a tranquil and relaxing visit to St. Martin, you cannot go wrong with La Playa. We are already planning to visit again next year for my birthday!

1  Thank bbance
Reviewed October 21, 2022

Every employee is genuinely kind and hospitable. Food for breakfast and lunch on the bunch (French cuisine) was always remarkable. Atmosphere was great all around. Highly recommended. Clean room/bathroom and complete with fridge, water, coffee, tv.

1  Thank chadi79
Reviewed October 19, 2022 via mobile

La playa orient bay is a beautiful hotel, it is not very big, which makes it much more intimate and pleasant. The staff, especially Katye, Elizabeth, Catherine, Elena Julian and Alex are super friendly and helpful. The breakfast is amazing , the beach is gorgeous. The tide is a bit strong (just a bit) so I recommend you to bring or buy pool noodles and you will be way more comfortable. The food is delicious and the service on the beach is very good. (I would take Tumblers so that the drinks you order stay cold, tips must be given in cash). Keep in mind that the service on the beach ends at 5pm, you can stay, but the chairs, umbrellas and waiters will not be available after 5 pm. However, you can use the pool, which, although it is not very spacious, it is clean, beautiful and pleasant. Remember that the island is “European” so don't forget to bring your power converters. The hotel is located on the French side of the island (which I think is a better option since everyone is way more friendly that on the Dutch side) Rooms are beautiful and clean, with microwave, coffee maker, dishes, fridge, a daily bottle of water, silverware and some of them have a kitchenette. If you can rent a car and get to know other beaches (Maho beach is a great experience) go for it. At the front desk, everyone is very friendly and willing to help you with the car rental and with plenty of suggestions for visiting beaches, places to eat and visit.
There are restaurants and shops very close to have dinner or buy anything you need. (Walking distance, no more than 3 minutes)
It is important that you check the dates of your trip, since the hotel and several others close for a few days during September. Don’t forget to being mosquito repellent and mosquito bites remedies. In general, my experience was very pleasant and I will surely return. My only suggestion for the hotel is to put shower curtains because the style of the bathroom is without curtains and the water sprays all over the bathroom. Overall, we loved the hotel, the beach, the island, everything!! I highly recommend this hotel. Thanks to all the staff for an unforgettable vacation, we had so much fun!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2022

Letting you know right now - this is a long and thorough review! Look no further than this review. I promise I will cover all the basis! ❤️☀️☕️ ❤️

The Resort:
LaPlaya is small and intimate, which is what I love. The resort was renovated after Hurricane Irma, and it’s beachy, clean, modern, and comfortable. It’s not fussy. It’s not boring. It’s just right.

The Bar and Restaurant:
Tables right on the beach, some in the sand - which is one of my favorite things, to enjoy a meal with your toes in the sand! So relaxing and fun!
I want to address other reviews that said the service was not up to par. Not true whatsoever!
The staff - whom I will address later - are all so freaking fantastic! Each one is hardworking, sweet, and when you get to know them, is to love them - even GP! (Ha!)

Come down to breakfast in the morning and have some baguette or croissant- I mean, it’s like you’re in France, so you may as well indulge!
Order some eggs or pancakes or perhaps just a cappuccino ☕️- it’s all great!

My routine was always a cappuccino made by GP at the bar and then sit and stare out to the ocean and take in the beautiful Orient Beach.

Or just sit on the bar side and enjoy a cocktail, a beer, maybe a glass of wine? It’s so quaint and pretty. The path leads right through the bar and right down to the beach.

Let’s get to the beach…

The Beach:
White sand beach that is perfectly groomed and chairs and umbrellas set up every morning. Boney, Julien, and Corto work very hard to make it all come together each day. And take it all down at the end of the day.
Here’s another thing I want to address, people complaining about the “beach closing at 4:00 or 5:00 pm.” Around this time they start to take down umbrellas and stack chairs and to end the day. The beach isn’t closing, but after working the beach all day, the team is ready for the end of their work day. And who really wants to sit on the beach until it’s dark? Not me - I’m going to get ready for happy hour and the evening out! Right? So let’s not complain about insignificant things.

The water on this side is usually pretty wavy and not conducive for swimming way out or wading in. You have to be on your toes and be ready to get in or be knocked down! I was more than once! Hahahhaa But with that being said, some people enjoy that and of course it’s the perfect spot for all kinds of water sports.
Kiting, parasailing, jet skiing, tubing, etc. is all available to rent right next door! ⚓️⛵️

Corto and Julien work really hard to take your drink and food orders all day long! So sweet and kind. Thank you very much for taking such good care of us every day!

GP was our bartender most of the time. From the moment my husband and I arrived, of course looking for a cocktail at the end of a long travel day, GP was welcoming, funny, and just what we needed!
And of course throughout day you can order your drinks brought to the beach or to your lunch table.

Down the beach are several other resorts and beach clubs. You can rent chairs there, just as you can also do at LaPlaya. There are different restaurants and beach bars.

Nude Beach:
Let’s get to it. You want to know and I’m the only one who is going to tell it to you straight!
Before the hurricane, there was a larger resort and it was very popular and people stayed there with their children. The nude part of Orient Beach is for people that like and live that lifestyle.
Although the resort was demolished and the destroyed buildings and rubble are still there, now there are a few beach clubs where you can rent chairs and be nude.
I walked the beach every day. I go topless when I’m on a beach that allows it. I did not go topless at the nude beach, and for me it was nothing.
Were there people all nude - yep! Did I care? Nope.
If you don’t want to see a bunch of old men and their private parts hanging out, I suggest you don’t go around the bend to that area. Lol There are women who are nude as well. But if you are going there thinking it’s all Chippendales men prancing around, well, think again. It’s your grandpa and your uncle who like to be nude and they don’t care! Hahahha
And did they get up out of their chairs and walk towards me as I came walking by? Yes they did! So funny! Yes, I see your little winky, and I don’t care.
Americans are so hung up, see what I did there, on genitals. Europeans don’t care and a pair of boobs is just boobs. So ladies, let your tops off and relax! It’s about damn time!

Rent a Car: If you’re spending any extended amount of time on SXM, rent a car and explore the island. We did and it was so fun! Going to the Dutch side and different bars, restaurants, and shopping! The roads are winding and narrow and traffic is crazy - but hey - it’s part of the fun!

The Rooms:
Like I mentioned previously, they are all remodeled and fresh. A nautical, modern, beachy vibe. Comfortable beds and big bathrooms with double sinks. Toilet is separate from shower and sinks, which is nice.

There is an awesome kitchenette that is cleverly hidden behind a bifold door! Has everything you need to cook - which ya crazy if you do, but we did utilize the fridge. Went grocery shopping and got some snacks and drinks for the room. So nice to be able to do this.

Nearby Restaurants:
Walk down a little path before you get to the bar/restaurant and it will lead you to this awesome village of sorts. Several really good places to dine. French, Italian, Asian - soooo good! We loved them and it was our little evening out after spending the day on the beach. Just walk over there and it was fantastic!

The Staff:

Here is why LaPlaya is where you should stay - because these people make your holiday one to remember! They care. They want to make you comfortable. And we got to know them and are so grateful.

Katy
David
Caro
Emma
Boney

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Thank you for making us food and drinks and bringing them to us. Thank you for making the beach so perfect and adjusting the umbrellas just right. Thank you for making perfect cappuccinos and laughing and talking with us!

Jusqu'à ce que nous nous revoyions.

Michelle and Richard

Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank ChellYourself
Reviewed August 31, 2022

The staff, their kindness. Always with a smile on their faces. Also the rooms were perfect. We had the deluxe room, upper floor. Perfect & big enough to stay with 2 children (7 & 8 years old).

If you stay with only two, then all other rooms are perfect.

Breakfast was really great so it is definitely worth it to book your stay including breakfast.

Date of stay: August 2022