El Sabanero Eco Lodge(Playa Avellanas)
US$100
US$90
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$104/night.

Cabinas Las Olas(Playa Avellanas)
US$106
US$85
Hotel Mauna Loa(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$70
Vida Verde(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$60
Las Avellanas Villas(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$74
Hotel Surf Camp Mediterraneo(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$62
ChanteMar(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
US$68
Cafe Playa Negra(Playa Negra)(Great Value!)
US$56
Priceline
2,800 results
All reviewsasian restauranthacienda pinillacosta ricacaravan tourclosest towninfinity edgebeach clubazul grillkids clubturn down servicepool staffocean viewbreakfast buffetbeautiful propertyremote locationtamarisushi
Reviewed March 10, 2015

We arrived a bit early had too wait more than half hour to be attendant by a reception staff person.
Had lunch down at the restaurant by the beach,we where taken to a table and the girl disappeared had to eventually ask waiter to take our order, you need lots of patients because service very poor.
Room layout done very well, only problem very near elevator service room so every time the elevator functions in that hall area a very load hammering type of noise was made, not conducive for rest as elevator worked to late hours of the night and then early a.mm more elevator motor noise.

Room Tip: Don´t choose room 214 right near elevator motor, every time the elevators works near buy load hammering sounds for at least 30 seconds or more.
Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank waspinall
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Guanacaste Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2015

Dear Waspinall,

Thank you so much for taking time to provide us with your feedback in regards to your last stay with us.

I truly regret your experience was not completely satisfactory. I do want to let you know that we are taking corrective actions with our service and the noise that come from the elevator near to this room. I hope you enjoyed the magnificent view from your room and the easy access to the beach.

Reviewed March 10, 2015

The view of the ocean and the poolside area is stupendous. The rooms were very well appointed, and the food was fabulous. Do wear lots of sunscreen, it is very easy to get burned. This property has lots of activities for the whole family and published a daily newsletter of events. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the pool and ocean
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeannie82649
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Guanacaste Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2015

Dear Jeannie82649,

It is great to read a review like yours and know that you would return in a heartbeat.

During summer our temperatures can be very high and it’s always recommended to use sunblock to protect your skin, especially children. July and August is not too hot and you are able to get a nice tan.

I am glad to know that you had the opportunity to enjoy the activities that we offer to our guest and also a relaxing time by the pool.
We will be waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed March 10, 2015

First off, I'm a big Marriott fan, timeshare owner, and make every attempt to stay at a Marriott property when traveling on business or pleasure. The properties are usually nice and we're treated very well by the staff. Really never had a bad experience.

My wife and I traveled to Costa Rica with friends during the first week of February and stayed at the JW for 6 nights. We loved the place and thought the staff (and all Costa Ricans) were extremely friendly and accommodating. The grounds, hotel, and location were beautiful. The food was only average and somewhat expensive...along with the drinks. BUT....we really liked everything and would have rated the place a 4 or 5 had we not had the experience we had (and I write this in hopes that it will be corrected).

On the second night of our stay, as my wife was getting ready in the bathroom, she saw the shutters in the shower area moving and thought someone from the outside may have been trying to peek in. We were on the third level, the bathroom window was next to a stairwell, and there was about a 10 inch ledge below that someone could stand on, which I had not noticed at this point. She immediately called me and I went to the window to look, but thought that surely no one could access the window , even though the window was left unlocked.

The following night it happened again as my wife was getting dressed in the bathroom. She noticed the shutters move, then saw a hand reach through to spread open the shutters to look in (or they could have been trying to break in). She yelled for me to come into the bathroom and I ran in, looked out, didn't see anyone, then looked down to the ground level and saw a man in a Marriott jacket run off into the night.

I immediately called security no one came, called again, then decided to go to the front office to alert them to what happened. Finally the night manager came, along with security, and looked into it. The window was unable to be locked because, it appeared, this had happened a few times before. The screen was pushed in and dented, as well. The manager tried to tell us that it could have been some sort of local lobster-type insect with a claw, and that's what we saw. Don't think so! We obviously felt violated and concerned for our safety, but the security people did bar the window so that it would not be opened again.

That same night I walked by the same room location we had, but on the first level. They had the same window to the bathroom that was much easier to access than ours...it was ground level. It was opened/unlocked, same as ours. I alerted security and they assured me it would be handled. The next day, and the following as well, we continued to check and it remained unlocked. We stopped by the room to alert the occupants to what happened to us and were never able to talk with them.

My concern is that every room with a similar bathroom window set up on the property was a potential peeping-tom/ theft opportunity. Not sure how it was addressed after we left, but they assured me it was not a problem (even though I feel it was an employee, due to what he was wearing when I saw him run off...and it looked like this window had been "jimmied" several times) and it would be handled.

I must admit, they did try to make it up to us by offering to move us, but we liked the suite we were in that accommodated the 4 of us, and no others were available at the time. They addressed the issue with the window by barring it. But again, long-term, I'm not sure it was addressed after we left because no one seemed to think it was much of a problem....evidenced by no one locking the bottom level window after being alerted to it at least 3 times.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
8  Thank beale25
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Guanacaste Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2015

Dear Mr. Beale25,

I am glad to know that you liked the resort and I hope you enjoyed the pool and drinks during the day and especially at sunset.

As you mentioned our Suites are very nice and comfortable and I am pleased to know that you liked, and also the serviced received by our staff.

In regards to your feedback, we do take this issue very seriously and have already taken corrective actions in order to improve the locks on the windows. We pride ourselves for being a very secure resort and having our guests enjoy a tranquil and safe environment.

I regret that you did not completely enjoyed your stay but I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and make you recover your trust in us.

Reviewed March 9, 2015

First of all, the resort property is gorgeous! It is very well maintained and laid out so that all the facilities (pool, spa, bars) are within close proximity of every room. The staff is extraordinarily friendly and bi-lingual (English & Spanish) and very willing to help those of us (like me) who speak very little Spanish learn key phrases. "Pura Vida", "Quatro plumas"

The wait staff at the pool were fairly prompt with attention and service. The drinks were excellent and the beer was cold.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the wait staff at the Mansita restaurant. The service was slow and the food just wasn't that good from the buffet. (And to be honest, we did not order from the menu so can't comment on anything freshly prepared). On the plus side the buffet did have cards in English in front of every tray that named the dish.

The pool side bar & restaurant (Azul) is located right on the beach and the food and service was much better than at the Mansita. I would highly recommend the Mahi wrap!

I would classify the Marriott as family friendly. Bottom line is...I'm ready to return!

Room Tip: 4th Floor with a pool / beach view
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple

And we are ready to welcome you back Mr. Frank D.

Thank you for such a great comments.

I have addressed your feedback to our Mansita Restaurant Manager and Chef in order to provide a better service to our guests and for your next visit.

I also like Azul since it’s in front of the beach and the ceviche there is delicious. Did you try it? I hope so, if not try it next time.

Regards,

Reviewed March 9, 2015

I have recently switched from a loyal Marriott member to a Platinum member with Starwood but I decided to give the Marriott another try since it was advertised so well for Costa Rica.

And here are the reasons why I am 100% sure I made the best decision to drop Marriott for Starwood.

Hotel Staff:
Barely anyone in the hotel spoke English. I am not trying to be an ignorant American but when I stay at a JW Marriott property, I do expect the staff to speak English. The most helpful individual was a house keeper who spoke zero English but saw us roaming lost in the property, gave us directions and grabbed us two bottles of water.

From check-in to check-out, there was zero friendliness or smiles. At check-in no one told me I had to make reservations for a taxi or for a hotel restaurant. Because this is not an all inclusive resort, food was a problem.

We did a lot of excursions and had to leave very early in the morning so of course you would think that getting a cup of coffee and some pastries wouldn't be a problem. But no, it was a great ordeal. First, the hostess would grab a waiter (makes sense she could only say two things in English, wait a minute, or hold on). Then the waiter would come and take our order. After another 10 minutes, he would return with a coffee and then say hold on for the pastries. Then the pastries would come and then he would realize he didn't bring the check. So a simple to go breakfast was broken apart into 3 very difficult phases. This happened every morning and you may ask, why did we do it over and over again? Because there are no other choices to go get a quick breakfast. Also, each morning, the price was different but we didn't even attempt to ask since it would have confused the staff even more.

On our first night, we visited each of the restaurants to try to eat. Every single one (except the buffet style one) required a reservation (which I wished they told us at check in). When asked why there were so many empty tables, the hostess told us that they only have 4 waiters at the restaurant...Okay...So when did the Marriott start cutting back on staffing?

Location:
Advertised on the beach (somehow they just forgot to disclose that you can't SWIM on the beach.)

All in all, we loved Costa Rica but would not stay at the Marriott again.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank ElleWanders
GM_JWGuanacaste, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Guanacaste Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2015

Dear ElleWanders,

We appreciate your comments and feedback in regards to your recently stay at our resort.

I truly regret we did not meet your expectations but I would like to let you know that since your first contact we have addressed your comments with all our head directors in order to improve our services.

Our resort offers Room Service 24 hours and in all our rooms we have a door hanger breakfast menu to place an order at night for a specific time in the morning, as an option to our guest that have to leave the hotel before 6:30am, which is the time that our Restaurant opens for breakfast. Additionally we offer coffee and pastries at the front desk from 4am to 6:00am.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience with the language barrier that you perceived from some of our staff. All of our staff that have direct contact with guests’ know English and we continuously provide our staff with English classes to improve our service and do our best since it’s not our first language.