“Great Vacation but Don't use bank machine!”

Flamenco Hotel Villas & Beach Club
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Playa el Agua
lancaster
“Great Vacation but Don't use bank machine!”
Reviewed 11 February 2009

Good resor for price, lots of europeans which was fine because they understood english fairly well. Rooms were good except for showers. Food was good also. I stuck to mostly potatoes, rice pasta and beef! Resort employees were friendly. If you said hi how are you in spanish they would reply very kindly. I used the bank machine outside the resort and falsely expect to get 2.5 bolivars per 1 canadian dollar. Big mistake! If i was expecting to have 200 out of my account it ended being more like 350! I got home last night and saw that my balance was off by twice as much as what i thought i was spending but should have known better! Other than that it was the best vacation i had ever taken and would go back to this resort! Buenos Dias Amigos and senoiritas! Leaving the airport they searched everybody so it was a very slow process.......

• Liked — The people
  • Disliked — bank machine!
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank emaucoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Montreal
Reviewed 9 February 2009

BEST: Food and beach. WORST: Attitude of employees of the resort.

SERVICE: diligent but most people have a lot of trouble to smile.
ROOM: nice little cottage style room very quiet. Bathroom very clean and plenty of hot water. Only deception, not much light at night in the room and noisy air conditioning.
FOOD: tasteful food with three choices of meal for lunch and dinner and there were always succulent fruits. No fried food. We have been to Cuba many times and there is no comparison, the food is much better.
BEACH: Don't be fouled by those who say that we have to cross the boulevard. It is only a very small road without any traffic. We are right on a beautiful beach and the sea is very clean. Moderate wave. Too much solicitation on the beach by local people.
SECURITY: we were told not to go out after sunset and witnessed a lady who came back with bleeding knees after being robbed. We are a gay couple and would not recommand this place if you are gay and out because you might get into a lot of trouble just like we were at several times.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YMTL
Sofia
Reviewed 24 January 2009

We picked the hotel through travel agent captured by the colorful photos and the typical one story "houses" we would stay in...and , also - Playa El Agua was a supposedly " number one beach" on the island... I might repeat myself - because I have posted other reviews of other hotels - but this is to those who read this one - I am VERY CONFIDENT in my statement about the hotel. I do NOT overcomplain and I have based my opinion on experience on the island - we have stayed in 4 hotels total and this one was the WORST....And, I can not say it was much cheaper than the best one we stayed at.....so, I know budget is a major in decision taking, but believe me - you are not in Europe or USA... This is a THIRD world country and most of the people who go there do not have even SLIGHT idea what that means...so, do yourself a favor and pay an extra $10 a night and stay in a "normal hotel"... ( my best pick is ISLA CARIBE beach hotel on Playa el Tirano )...

so, what was wrong ? where do I begin ?!?!?!?!?!

ELECTRICITY was out - not just every day - it was out FEW times every day.... For whatever reason, when electricity was out, water was out too !!!!! ( not to mention obviously AC which was very NOISY and right above the beds and - you have to make a choice between silent and sweaty night or noisy and T friendly night....).. Cable was out all hte time as well.... that was OK during the day cause we were at the beach, but at night when you have nothing to do and staying in your room is depressing anyways, having no TV was quite an issue...... Rooms and hotel area in general is DARK..... light is not enough, and that really contributes to feeling uncomfortable there .... BEDDING linens are in AWFUL condition - old, smelly and full of bugs !!!!!!!!!! Me, my mom and bro had some allergy rush , because of that...How do I know for sure ? I know because my skin started to itch every time I'd go to bed..... and , it wasn't because of climate/food /whatever else change because we have been a whole week in another hotel prior to this one.....Bathrooms...... - it is HARD to brush your teeth and wash your face in the morning, let alone take a shower !!!!!!!!! AWFUL , AWFUL , AWFUL !!!!!! Rusty, old, unclean !!!!!!!!
FOOD...... - food was NOT enough for all the guests so many times there were quarrels in the line ( people would actually start lining up half an hour before the buffet area would even open, just to ensure they get any food)..... We were halfway hungry all the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, believe me - we are not some greedy overeating overweight people.... We were looking forward to the small trips we had booked, so that we could actually EAT normally on the lunch included with the trip..... I guess food variaty is out of the question !!!!!!!!!!!! DRINKS.....?!?!?!?! you'll be lucky if you could get water ( and even more lucky if there was ICE ) !!!!!!!!!!!!! On MORE than one occasion FOOD WAS SPOILED.... - sour milk and bad smelling meat was not unusual.... I finally got sick of it all and went to complain at the reception.... The guys working there were friendly, but after all - I know they just work there and nothing depends on them.... Still, I didn't argue with them, I simply asked to talk to a manager ( who of course is not on duty at dinner time)....Or at least - asked them to take away the meat and make sure to PASS on the message to WHOEVER is in charge and to make sure this doesn't happen anymore simply because I guess no manager or hotel owner wants their guests to get food poisoning !!!!!!!!!

.....The only normal thing in the hotel ( as far as food) - were the Italian style pizzas made every other day by some local guy.... He was very nice and I felt sorry for him cause people would line up at his dining area and try to order pizzas and obviously he couldn't work up to the orders, so they would start fighting with him, ......- which again is a BAD or NO management whatsoever, cause if there was enough food at the buffet there would be not so many people trying to get pizzas and also - the guy worked alone....so.......people were taking it all on him !!!!

Also - I felt very unsafe at the hotel and - if you have an idea about crime there and teh fact that streets get empty after 6 p.m you would know that safety and security is quite an issue....

I really have NOTHING good to say about the hotel, it spoiled our stay and I think we overpayed three times for what we got for the money......

My best and most sincere advice to you is - do NOT stay there !!!!!!!

PS: oh, well....One thing I actually liked - was some of the vegetation and flowers that somewhat aim to cover the ugly fence.....

• Liked — The ONLY thing I liked was vegetation ( which is actually great on the whole island anyways)
  • Disliked — ELECTRICITY WAS OUT, UNCLEAN, DARK, BAD FOOD , SMELLY ROOM, ITCHY BEDS , NOISY AC ,
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Playa el Agua hotels

Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2009

It's been over a year since my husband, my two little boys (3 and 1 at the time), my father and I went on a family vacation to Margarita to meet up with my husband's side of the family, but the memory of my horrid experience--Black Christmas--at Flamenco Hotel Villas & Beach Club is still deeply engrained in my mind.

Some of the staff were fine (few of them spoke English... thankfully my husband spoke fluent Spanish!), but one male staff member in particular was extremely rude, insensitive and vindictive. He refused to allow my husband's family (who were from Venezuela) into the hotel, even though we explained that the reason we were in Margarita was for a Christmas family reunion after 6 or 7 years of not seeing one another. Three times my mother called from Canada; he kept her on hold for 20 minutes each time, only to inform her later that the phone line in my room was busy (which was an outright lie...we never used the phone in our room). My mother said she could hear him talking and laughing in the background while she was "on hold". And when my husband politely asked this staff member why my mother's calls weren't getting through to us and why she reported being left on hold for so long, this staff member got visibly angry and raised his voice to such a degree that I felt threatened. This was on Christmas night. Then within an hour after this staff member shouted at us and we had returned to our room, our lights and our air conditioning went out. Interestingly enough, we were the only ones at the hotel with no electricity! This led our two little boys to start crying...they had been in the midst of playing and getting ready for bed when everything went dark--they were frightened and they were hot (it was approx. 30 degrees Celsius and got progressively hotter in our room as the night wore on). When I went to the concierge desk to inform them of this problem, I could see knowing glances back and forth amongst the hotel staff members, but the response I got was that nothing could be done until the morning. In the middle of the night, we heard noises up on the rooftop above our room, and my husband and I both feared that the individual staff member who had raised his voice at my husband would do something such as push the room air conditioner into the room causing it to fall on the bed right below where we were sleeping. Although we could not confirm our suspicions or provide evidence that that staff member was responsible for our power outtage, we felt very unsafe and threatened. So after moving our entire family into the one double bed that was away from the air conditioner, we packed up our things at the crack of dawn and checked out (we didn't pack up sooner because we simply could not see anything in our room).

The place itself was okay...nothing luxurious or elegant...fairly clean and right across the street from the beach. The tour operator who met us at the airport advised us not to leave any valuables or personal belongings in our rooms as those items could be stolen by staff. The food was okay...as long as you're not picky about not having a lot of variety and don't mind the fact that you asked for eggs over easy and end up with something that looks more like scrambled. And when they say you can drink all you want by the poolside, you really have only three options: pina coladas, local Venezuelan beer or pineapple juice....and that's only if the "bartender" hasn't wandered off somewhere. There really isn't much around the hotel (no shops, no entertainment facilities); so unless you rent a car or know some trustworthy locals who can serve as your guides/translators, you're pretty much stuck to laying on the beach all day and doing nothing much at night.

Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank TravellingCanuckMom
Pickering Ont
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We stayed at Flamenco Villas & Beach Resort Mar 5-19, 2008
Margarita Island, Venezuela
In spite of serious problems with the hotel, we managed to make the most of our holiday & there were some good things about the hotel-mainly its location across a narrow road to a beautiful beach (Playa El Agua). Long beach that's good for walking, lots of whitecaps, enough beach lounges & umbrellas & even staff to set them up for you. People did swim in the beach but we chose not to as it is dangerous-strong, high waves & wicked undertow (beach is a surfer's delight). Although there are officially no lifeguards, a staffer watches swimmers & often blows whistle to bring them closer to shore. Saw activities on beach once in 2 weeks.
The pool area was very nice, although small, but never enough chairs..guests get up early & put towels on chairs to reserve them & then don't use them for hours. Pool is heated. Nolitours' brochure states there's a kids' pool but all it is is a small circle attached to main pool. Animacion staff often turn up radio to full blast with Spanish rock and/or rap music (they do this at beach too)..not conducive to relaxation. They are supposed to offer activities at pool and beach but this rarely happened in our 2 weeks there.
The animacion staff did put on shows almost nightly. We liked them a lot, but most are dancing shows and if you don't care for these, you may not enjoy them. There was also 1 comedy show, 1 salsa & merengue dance lesson for guests, and 1 staff and guest karaoke show.
Now for the rooms!! They have about 182 rooms (not all are available due to water problems). They are Spanish-style motel units in blocks of 8, small & dingy, but they are kept clean & beds are comfortable. However, depending on which block you're in, you may or may not get hot water or good water pressure. We had to report this problem 3 times. Over the last weekend, Mar. 15 & 16 there was no water in rooms period; we heard the pump broke, there was no backup pump, & they had to send to Caracas for another pump. The hot water taps in all rooms are permanently shut off. There is hardly any closet space & no drawers, so you live out of your suitcase. There is no English TV (many cable channels but all in Spanish). The ceiling fan has no cord to pull to turn off attached light so we had to remove the bulb for night use. The air conditioner is set in the highest wall near the ceiling & is set on high. Unless you're over 6' you cannot reach it to adjust to a lower setting, so A/C is very cold & is very noisy. There was a heavy rainfall 1 night and our roof leaked, as did other guests' roofs. The hotel is cost-cutting which has a negative impact on guests..there are no amenities in room such as shampoo, conditioner, lotion or adequate amount of soap, so bring your own. We had no drinking glasses in our room..asked for them twice & didn't receive, so we got our own from the bar. You are given 2 small water bottles (tap water is undrinkable) on checkin; after that you fill your own or buy new ones from hotel store. (It's mostly a do-it-yourself hotel.) The bar frig in room tends to freeze. Maid service was good; Front Desk's handling of problems was not good. A large influx of Venezuelans arrives on weekends, so this might be a good time to plan excursions as hotel is pretty full then. The clientele otherwise is comprised mainly of Europeans and South & Central Americans, with a few Canadians (more French Canadians than English). We saw no Americans or British which surprised us.
About the staff: they are mostly good & work hard, but hotel management doesn't put enough staff on for the number of guests they have, so service sometimes seems slow, even though staff is very busy. Some are friendly & outgoing, but most are reserved & don't smile. I think they may feel intimidated as most only speak Spanish.
The Front Desk staff need to smarten up. The lobby doesn't have enough seating & is so basic as to cause arriving first-time guests to sigh in disappointment. The buffet restaurant is also extremely basic with only uncomfortable hard wooden chairs. The a la carte restaurant (once a week) is only the pool snack bar. The food is either good or bad (we had 1 meal of each). They serve pizza at night in the beach bar/theatre building. If you have the patience to wait, you may like it but many we spoke to did not. The beach bar (closed for some time; they are using the theatre bar in separate bldg.) was falling apart and, after letting us use it for the lst week, they decided it was unsafe & closed it off, although no repairs on it were being done. This hotel is not for the "faint of heart" but I was a travel agent for many years & have stayed in 1*'s to 6*'s, so we are used to roughing it & had a good time in spite of the hotel. In my opinion, the hotel is not ready for tourism; neither is Margarita Island, even though they've offered it for many years. There is a big crime problem & you have to exercise extreme caution with cash, documents, valuables, both in the hotel (rent a safe box!!) & out on the island, particularly in the main city of Porlamar. The price was certainly attractive, & if you are price-driven as we were & know what to expect, you can have a good time here...the weather is absolutely fabulous!!. Otherwise, don't go.

2 Thank HappyTraveler7
Montreal
Reviewed 15 February 2008

Once again, I find I can rely on the positive appraisals of a place, and discount the 'outraged negatives'. We relied on the Toronto member's review of 11 Feb 2006, and our experience was probably better than his/hers. We wouldn't have wanted to stay for longer than a week, and if we went back to Margarita, we might try somewhere else, but not because of dissatisfaction with the Flamenco.

Apart from the trip review (and the very attractive price!), what caused us to choose the Flamenco was (a) its beachside location and (b) its single-storey set-up. Both seemed positive when we got there.

• Liked — single storey units
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ruswarp
Laurentides
Reviewed 12 February 2008

I was astonish to read the bad review of this hotel. I stayed at the Flamenco for the second time in 2 years and was very pleased with everything. My boyfried went there 5 times in 2 years and has the same opinion. The staff is always courteous and helpful. The room was clean and always had nice towel arrangements. The food is good eventhough it is the basic. The beach is beautiful and the weather always hot with a nice breeze. It's a wonderful place for simple people who are not expecting all the glamour of a 5 stars hotel.
Muchas gracias por fantastico vacaciones!
Mamasita !

18.8 km away
Unik Hotel Margarita
Unik Hotel Margarita
#2 of 8 in Pampatar

Been to Flamenco Hotel Villas & Beach Club? Share your experiences!