All reviews costa rica arenal volcano hot tub la fortuna we arrived late at night wheel drive tropical birds stunning views steep hill pura vida dirt road gordon spa augustine nancy hosts lake
Reviewed May 29, 2015

My wife and I spent our 7th wedding anniversary at Nepenthe… really nice, we enjoyed every minute. We got royalty treatment from the staff, the views are spectacular, the amenities are warm and comfortable, and dinner at their restaurant Benedicts Steak House was superb. I recommend either the cerviche or chef salad for starters, and then any of the entrees (the steaks are fantastic), and the flaming bananas for desert. Delightful!!!

Date of stay: May 2015
Reviewed May 26, 2015

My fiance and I stayed at this establishment for a few nights at the end of our trip to Costa Rica. As it was July and the low season, we were the only guests. Regardless, we were treated wonderfully and the staff was very attentive, before and during the stay. Breakfast was always ready in the morning, no matter the time (if you give them a heads up on weird timing they are very accommodating). The view was phenomenal. I would definitely stay here again. A couple of notes. You will want something with 4WD or good clearance to get here as the road is a little rough. Also, make sure you go check out the butterfly sanctuary!

Room tip: Anything with a view!
Date of stay: July 2014
Reviewed May 11, 2015

Absolutely incredible! The view was breathtaking, the manager, Augustine, was extremely kind and helpful. The restaurant on site, with Chef Benedict, served some of the best food I've ever had. Highly recommend going to the Arenal National Park; stunning views and gorgeous nature. I cannot rave about this place enough!!

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank LD602152
Reviewed April 29, 2015

We stayed here on our trip to Costa Rica right after getting engaged. It's a bit of a drive to get there, especially the last bit, but totally worth it at the end. An incredible view, lovely porch and pool, hot tub, great food, and interesting hosts. The restaurant was just being set up at the time, but we liked eating with everyone in the kitchen and on the deck, and there happened to be a Sunday BBQ the day of my fiancee's birthday and they even got us a bottle of congratulatory champagne!
Make sure you get a car with 4 wheel drive. We went zip lining and for a jungle hike, and had lunch at the pizza place nearby. We have recommended this spot to many over the past year and hope to return someday!

Date of stay: May 2014
Reviewed April 7, 2015

We stayed at Nepenthe for four to five days. The weather was clearly not on our side, so we got a lot of water on our heads! Nevertheless, even with that weather, we could still enjoy the peaceful scenery around us. It's not easy to find it - that's true, so make sure you load the map on WAZE. That will help you navigate even at night. The breakfast is great, but most importantly is TOO much, which is awesome if you have a full day of hiking in front of you. The owner is an interesting American guy, who one night invited us over to sit and chat with wine! (Thanks for that BTW!)

Note: The road is indeed quite bad almost everywhere in the country, but there's a philosophy around that, which depicts the repulsion towards mass tourism.

Highlight: The full-moon night. Majestic.
Some of the greatest pics I took was during that stay!

Don't miss the opportunity to go hiking around the volcano.

Date of stay: May 2014