See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 6, 2015

My wife and I spent two nights here. We came in after dark and we awed when we woke up to the incredible view of the lake and the volcano. I spent the first day without leaving the swinging basket chair on the porch overlooking the lake. I was unable to tell time of day and forgot what day of the week it was. Next time we will spend a week and explore the area.

Room Tip: Unless I am coming to stay, take the end room of the main house.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MIKE B
Reviewed August 2, 2015 via mobile

We had a wonderful dinner at Nepenthe! It was simply delicious! The owner came to our table and visited. He was very friendly. Good wine. Very friendly service! Lovely views! Cute little dog that sat at the bar.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2015

We ventured up to Castillo and were happy to discover Nepenthe, a place of no sorrows. The setting is lovely, rooms are comfortable. There's a pool, wi fi, breakfast and an amazing view. Agustin, the manager is fascinating and helpful. We saw monkeys in the trees and baby goats nearby,

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2015

My girlfriend and I stayed here in March 2015 for 3 nights and we would both highly recommend this B&B.

It is not the cheapest in the area, but we could not have been happier with our choice.

It sits in the heart of the National Park, in the shadow of Arenal Volcano, and overlooking the dam, so it is ideally situated for all of the attractions in the area.

The National Park is great, with plenty of things to fill our days. The hotel staff are very helpful indeed giving any recommendations/directions etc

The hotel does not have tv, which we enjoyed, but I guess this is not for everyone.

I'm sure it informs you on your booking receipt, but a 4x4 for access is required. I would not have wanted to go up the rocky hills to get there in anything other than a 4x4

Note; we heard some people struggled to find it.....the directions we received from Booking.com were not the clearest. In short, head to the National Park, and enter at the Police Hut. Head into the National Park and its pretty well signed form there

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2015

As advertised the views are just incredible, the service is fantastic, Augustine handles all the details of any excursion, chef Benedict is a master, the best Ceviche ever! The spa is world class, and Señor Gordon is a wonderful host.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view, rooms 1 & 2 are closest to the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends