“Volunteering”
Review of Rancho Margot

Rancho Margot
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 March 2011

I had a great time volunteering at this place, and would recommende it to anyone. Also I would recommend ging here as a tourist if you're into nature, sustainability, yoga or all of the above. Only downside I could find to the place was that its a little pricey, so if I wouldnt have volunteered there and gotten free room and board I would probably not have been able to afford it. But if $ 55/45-120/60 q night (single/double in the bunkhouse-bungalow single/double) won't hurt you then youll definitely have a great stay at this beautifully and ingeniously designed place. And off course the money is well spent to preserve a place like this and/or make it grow

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Rens8612

Reviewed 25 February 2011

By now you've probably read the reviews about Rancho Margot so I'll make this short and sweet. This place is paradise.

Instead of writing about the beautiful landscape, amazing food and comfortable Bungalows, I'd like to write about the truly inspiring, dedicated professionals that work there as volunteers. Most of the volunteers are students and they truly love this planet, Rancho Margot and all of the guests. We spent a week with the staff and enjoyed Yoga, swimming under a waterfall, horseback trips and kayaking along Lake Arenal. Along the way, we made new friends who we will be connecting with in the future.

The owner is incredibly hospitable and he and his staff went out of their way for all of us in the Yoga Retreat Group.

Now for some advice!!!
If you are looking for a romantic getaway, you'll get it here but don't stay in the Bunk House...If you're a well traveled person that just needs a clean bed and a shower, the Bunk House is the way to go...it's like a Hostel. Couples....Stay in the Bungalows!

Do the Waterfall Tour on Horseback and ask to see Tomas' house.

Kayak.

Do some Yoga while your there.

And most importantly, thank the owner and volunteers for doing their part to keep our Planet beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2011

My husband and I just got back from a week at Rancho Margot, and I can definitely say it was more than a vacation, it was an experience! I had been to Costa Rica before, but this trumped it--we were looking for a place to rejuvenate, explore, and spend quality time together away from smartphones and laptops and this took care of that.
If you are high maintenance, this is not the place for you. However, if you enjoy the outdoors, warm and friendly people, stunning natural surroundings, and are fascinated by sustainable living this will be your Shangri-La. Something as simple as a guided tour of the ranch made me giddy with excitement--living roofs, hydroelectric energy and homemade soap, oh my!
If I had to think of a complaint, 1) the showers were not piping hot...warm, yes--but not hot (okay, so I suppose I am high maintenance when it comes to hot showers :O). Considering the way they heat their water though, the temperature is impressive. 2) the food is wayyyyyy too good--their homemade bread, butters and pizza are just ridiculously amazing and I was powerless against them. The myriad of activities available seems to have counteracted any pants-tightening, however, so it's all good :O).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Batesy1980
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I stayed at Rancho for 4 weeks taking the spanish immersion course and it was unforgettable! The staff is wonderful and my class was amazing. I had a private teacher for three hours every day and learned more than I could have imagined possible in such a short time. I would highly recommend visiting the ranch!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank estellajane4
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We stayed at Rancho Margot for three nights and loved it a lot. You have to drive on a bumpy road for about 30 minutes to get there, but the views on the volcano make you completely forget about the road conditions. Well, almost. Rancho Margot is so worth the drive. The location of Rancho Margot is great. It feels a little isolated from the rest of the world and when you are there you feel you don't need to be anywhere else. It's sort of a community we loved to be a part of for a couple of days. We went on the ranch tour and learned a lot about the wonderful self-sustainable way Juan and his employees run the ranch. We also went on a horseback riding tour to the waterfall, with beautiful views and a nice plunge in the waterfall after hiking to it. I took a yoga class that I really enjoyed. The food is absolutely delicious. Don't miss this place when you are in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maschax
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Rancho Margot is a one of a kind experience. We travel extensively and often stay in luxurious properties - our decision to stay at Rancho Margot was going out on a limb since we didn't really know what to expect. Although I would not describe this property as luxurious it provided for our every comfort with charm and aplomb. The concept of self-sustainablitiy that is practiced here is inspiration for those of us who stay at the ranch, as well as a teaching model for countless interested parties. The idea of treading so lightly on the earth was enormously satisfying because it didn't require ANY sacrifice in terms of comfort. The food, much of which is raised using a wide array of organics right on the ranch, was superb and plentiful. The flavors were real and unadulterated, the preperations simple, local and honest. There are volunteers at the Ranch as well as employees all of whom were very interactive with us. Everyone worked together doing whatever needed doing which was so refreshing! The wrangler who took us on a fabulous afternoon trail ride then appeared (with his big smile) to clear our plates after dinner. Inspiration starts at the top and that is clearly the case here. Juan, developer and owner of this extraordinary property was everywhere, and everywhere involved. His enthusiasm and passion for what he has accomplished here is clearly infectious! We need more like him.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Rancho Margot is truly heaven in Arenal, which tends to be quite touristy. This sustainable ranch is exactly what it reports to be and is the perfect vacation for backpackers to romance seekers. My friend and I had such a wonderful experience and the staff is extraordinary! I highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Arenal Manoa Hotel
#12 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
12.2 km away
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
11.2 km away
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
#10 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Rancho Margot? Share your experiences!