See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Heather and Peter very friendly and welcoming with a cup of tea instantly offered (and accepted!). Had comprehensive knowledge of local eating places and phoned ahead to book a table for me. Excellent night's sleep on the water bed with attractive white linen. Lots of choice for breakfast and beautifully presented table. Quiet village on a Friday night. Very convenient for Burton on Trent, M42 and Repton School. Would visit again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank wormbank
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have stayed at Fern Cottage 4 times now and have been very impressed on each occassion. The Owners, Peter and Heather, are most welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. The accomodation is superb, with many nice touches, often only found in large, impersonal hotels! I stayed in the Green Room, which benefits from a "wet-room," en-suite shower and had every amenity that I would want including tea/coffee making facilities, tv/dvd player,and ample wardrobe space. This is a very high quality B & B at a very reasonable price, which cannot be faulted. The breakfast is stunning, with a varied choice of options available from a menu. This alone sets Fern Cottage apart from other venues. Peter and Heather are very hospitable, and I was made to feel like a member of the Family. I will definately be visiting again in the future, and would highly recommend this accomodation if you intend to stay in the Swadlincote/ Burton on Trent area. As a bonus, there is a superb pub (The Black Horse) a short walk away which has an excellent range of very well kept real ales. There is also an excellent Indian Restaurant in the village.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Pete N
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My Husband & I stayed for one night at Fern cottage, on arriving the owners Heather & Peter greeted us with a very warm & friendly welcome. We stayed in the green room which was very clean & tidy with a wet room ensuite, what made the room a touch special was the mud bed which I would highly recommend an experience to try. The breakfast everything is fresh & a lot of choice & the English breakfast had the best sausages I have ever tasted.
Coton in the Elms is a very pretty little village everything you need shops, Indian restaurant & pubs are within walking distance. We went to Roiliston Forestry Centre for half day the birds of prey experience which I would also recommend.
Thank you Heather & Peter for a great stay.

Room Tip: Stay in the green room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2012

my wife and i spent a couple of nights at fern cottage. very clean,very nice breakfast and a very cheerful heather. on are arrival we where made very welcome with a cup of tea and a chat.nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: ask for the water bed
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank retiredgardener
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The Missus and I being habitual hotel clients on our (rare) travels it was something of an eye opener staying at Fern Cottage, and we must thank previous reviewers for their advice. The whole experience was first rate, from Heather's warm welcome in the evening to the delights of an outstanding breakfast. Throw in the buzzing local pub, a very acceptable indian restaurant, and a very theraputic waterbed and you have the perfect overnight stay. Many thanks.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple