The Military Intelligence Museum
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
One of the best military museums I have visited

The museum is not large but it is well laid out.There is a tour guide who takes you around the... read more

Reviewed November 7, 2018
wingate
London, United Kingdom
Well worth a visit

We enjoyed a really informative and interesting visit to the museum yesterday. There were six of us... read more

Reviewed November 1, 2018
B5301DYclaireh
Wrexham, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews on display in advance main gate an active military base interesting exhibits armed forces on arrival cold war couple of hours analysis knowledge passport curator interpretation assistant talks passes
Reviewed October 16, 2016

We had a very interesting tour of this museum. I had a tour through work and enjoyed it so much that I booked to take my family. Takes about 2 hours

Date of experience: May 2016
Reviewed September 17, 2016

This is an interesting but hard to access museum. You need to book in advance by email with passport or other details. On arrival you show your passport and are photographed as if you were going into a foreign country. As you are then accompanied to the museum and back out by a member of staff, you are unlikely to drift off so the whole palaver is over the top. We were received by an officer at the reception desk who was surly and hard to understand. The actual museum is comprehensive and interesting. It is also free. It would benefit from a bigger building as interesting information is crammed too tightly. We were shown round by a volunteer guide but as the display is self explanatory, you would do as well following it on your own and taking time to look at more than he directs you to. He was, however, very knowledgable. This museum deserves more custom buti T would need to make itself more accessible.

Date of experience: September 2016
2  Thank DaoHaddington
Harriet H, Public Relations Manager at The Military Intelligence Museum, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2018

Thank you for your museum review, all feedback is very important to staff here at the museum. Access issues are quite difficult for visitors, and we understand the problems that can be faced with signing in, but unfortunately we are hindered by the security of the MOD site. We are making plans to move off site to a place near Woburn Abbey, which will remove any access issues visitors have at the moment. It will be a bigger space with a more spread out history of intelligence. We hope that you return once the new museum is built, and have a more enjoyable experience. Thank you, Harriet.

Reviewed November 6, 2015

Booking in advance is essential and following the instructions. Once there we were welcomed and enjoyed fascinating talks and tours of the museum. One can only feel humbled by the stories of the men and women involved in all aspect of keeping this country safe. Allow 3 hours at least, but you could easily spend longer.

Date of experience: November 2015
1  Thank Aurorachichester
Reviewed October 1, 2015

The tour was done by Don & Mike. Don was a fellow US AF veteran, who did an amazing job taking me down memory lane. We talked for hours! Mike is a British forces (RAF) Veteran who gave a very detailed presentation. I was humbled that gentlemen of this high stature and so knowledgeable would take 2+ hours to tour just two American visitors around - I can't thank these guys and organization highly enough. I recommend to anyone, but, especially to any former RAF Chicksands (Americans) folks out there - but, really anyone who likes history - some notable items are the handcuffs wore by Rudolf Hoess, the commander of Auschwitz, and an original enigma machine. Amazing!

Date of experience: September 2015
Reviewed September 1, 2015

An window into the intruiging world of 'intelligence activities' and 'spies'! I first went in about the year 2000, before they re-vamped everything, and I must say I think it had more 'atmosphere' back then, although I also appreciated how well it's now laid out. There were a few artefacts last time which were the 'stars of the show' and they are no longer on display, which was a little disappointing.

Date of experience: October 2014