“Fantastic Hotel and Restaurant”

The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wallasey
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel with my elderly mother and my sister. We had changed our booking from another close by hotel to this one because of the trip advisor reviews and we are so glad we did. The staff from reception to bar to restaurant to the night porter were all very friendly and helpful. The decor of the hotel was very nice and had a comfy ambience about it, especially the bar and restaurant.
The food in the restaurant was fantastic and the dessert trolley was something else !!! We have to go back up next week and booked our room straight away unfortunately we will be arriving to late too enjoy a dinner in the restaurant. A lovely little gem !!! and we ARE going back

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 February 2011

We booked 1 double room for 1 night on b&b basis with dinner for 3 to celebrate my sister's 70th birthday. All the staff were friendly and efficient, the food was excellent and the room was spotless and superbly appointed.
Towards the end of the evening, my sister left via taxi, as she lives fairly locally. Shortly after, it transpired she had mistakenly taken another guest's almost identical coat. The manager most kindly insisted on driving me to her home to swop the coats and all concerned were impressed (and relieved!)
This hotelmay be rated as 3-star but the service is definitely 5-star and its levels of comfort surpass many grander establishments.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We held my mother's 90th birthday at the Grove House Hotel in late November, in the Function Room. Everything was perfect. We had a Sunday Roast Carvery and the food was just amazing - all 66 guests said so. Everything lovely and hot, fresh tasty meats, Turkey, Beef and Lamb, freshly cooked vegetables (not at all soggy or reheated like so many carveries are), perfect roasties, sublimb gravy and delicious sweets. Above all, the staff were attentive, smartly dressed and so helpful and friendly to all the guests. We would definately recommend this hotel for holding a function. They are professional and think of every detail - even a coat rack set up in the entrance and staff on hand to take coats from guests as they entered, then offer them Buck's Fizz. We were not rushed off at the end either, which all helped to create a family feel about the party; even though we were not at home, it felt like the nearest thing. Some of our guests stayed the night and told me the rooms were lovely and the breakfast magnificent. I know some of our guests are already thinking of booking their functions there - and I don't blame them! Thank you to all at the Grove.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Adelai
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I couldn't have asked for better accomodation, every little detail has been thought off, there was nothing we had to ask for throughout our stay.
The staff at this b&b really do make you feel special, nothing is too much trouble, we really did recieve 5* treatment.
Breakfast was great, there is so much choice it would cater for every taste and dietary need. We also ate in the restaurant on one evening which was absolutely delicious and very reasonably priced, again staff could not do enough.
The location is not too bad either, we visited liverpool central a couple times, first time on the train which is very cheap and took about half an hour, second time we took the car and we were there in no time at all. I think it was alot nicer to stay just outside liverpool as was alot more relaxing and quiet.
I really cannot recommend this accomodation enough. We will definately return.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This was a return visit, for a family function
We had requested a front room as they are larger and totally refurbished and phoned ahead because of an early arrival and wanting to change before a family function and were delighted that at 12 noon our room,17 was ready.
The little touches make a difference. Tea and coffee facilities and goodies such as biscuits and snacks (see photos)
We had previously stayed in the front rooms in the winter and with the windows closed they are quiet but in the summer they can be noisy with road traffic so the smaller rooms at the back may be a better choice.
The staff are friendly and obliging and the included breakfast was substantial.
As there were few guests the restaurant was closed so we had to eat at the Nelson pub opposite. Not everyone's cup of tea and on a Sunday night it was very busy with locals taking advantage of 2 main meals for £9!
However it was decent pub grub and where else can you "dine" for £24 for 2 two main courses washed down with a house rioja, and bread and butter pudding to finish.
This is our hotel of choice in the area and we will be returning-more weddings and christenings are on the calender.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank val-leasowe
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We visit family in the area and found the Grove hotel on trip advisor. I was blown away principally by the unbelievably good service but also by the level of attention to detail to everything in the hotel and the quality of meals for what is a very modest price. Our room (no. 2) faced the back of the hotel, overlooking the lovely gardens which are used for weddings and functions and it could have been in the middle of the country. I heard nothing at all during the night and slept very well. There are the usual narrow interminable corridors and stairs one finds in these old buildings so be warned about that but the furnishings are excellent - and it is the first hotel I've ever stayed at which provides free mini bar items such as a Mars Bar and large packet of crisps, fruit and packet of shortbread with the tea and coffee! Breakfast was a revelation. The room is lovely and set as if for a formal dinner, with starched linen and heavy cutlery. Everything which could be offered for breakfast is available - what looked like every cereal imaginable, a do-it-yourself muesli with vast range of fruit and nuts, yoghurt, bottled still and sparkling water in an ice bucket, various fruit juices in jugs and a superior fresh fruit salad. That was just on the table - there is also a menu which offers kippers, much to my husband's delight and black pudding on the "big breakfast". To my astonishment there was also a vegetarian "big breakfast" starring cheese on toast, divine sausages and the usual beans, tomates, mushrooms etc. We also had dinner there one night, and brought the family. The food was excellent and I had a small problem with a pasta dish which was too chilli hot for me and I couldn't eat it. I didn't make a fuss but did tell the waiter when he asked why I hadn't eaten it and the manager came to the table and apologised profusely, said he'd tried it, too and agreed with me and said it would be taken off the bill (it was) and later offered free liqueurs all round! It was the service which was so incredibly impressive here. I have never had such attentive and genuinely helpful service in any hotel, including 5 star hotels all over the world, ever. And to think we found such a gem on Merseyside...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We where married at the Grove last August, have been back twice for meals as we were so impressed with everything they did for us and are going back for a complimentary anniversarry meal next month.
They really can't do enough for you, all the staff are very pleasant and attentive.
Evrey meal we have had has been excellent .
Several of our wedding party stayed there and all complimented on the accommodation and the food.
Highy recommended

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wallasey
3.1 km away
5.7 km away
Riverhill Hotel
Riverhill Hotel
#2 of 3 in Birkenhead

Been to The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!