Dalhousie Castle
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$77
US$113
Travelodge Edinburgh Musselburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$80
Travelodge
US$74
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Edinburgh Cameron Toll(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$69
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,492 results
All reviewsdungeon restaurantlibrary barspa facilitiesfour posterafternoon teano liftbefore dinnerthemed roomsfalconry experiencespecial occasionfine diningwedding partyhydro poolwedding breakfastbirds of preywhole experiencenight porter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Dalhouise Castle is a small, but perfectly formed castle around 20 minutes south of Edinburgh. I enjoyed a 2 night stay here in January, a suprise 30th birthday present from my partner.

The castle is set in approximately 20-30 acres of grounds and woodland, on the edge of the river Esk. There are several very pleasant walks to take around the estate, not to mention the opportunity to take part in a falconry experience at the mews in the grounds.

The interior of the castle is best described as 'shabby chic', if its a boutique hotel experience you are looking for then this probably isn't the place, but it is very comfortable with a lot of character. The library where guests assemble for pre-dinner drinks is very 'Downton Abbey' with its book lined walls, large leather sofas and huge roaring fire. We had a late lunch in here a couple of times overlooking the lawns and river.

We stayed in the 'William Wallace' room at the very top of the castle - the only room with access to the roof & battlements. Our room was very spacious, with a selection of antique furniture and an enormous four poster bed. The room had a very cosy/romantic feel at night when the table & wall lights were lit. The bathroom was a bit shabby and ready for a bit of TLC but it wasn't a major issue.

Dining in the dungeon restaurant is a must, the food was excellent and if I'm honest I was quite suprised by just how good it was. I had foie gras to start and lamb for main both of which I would recommend.

The spa was small but very pleasant (and quiet), I had a massage which was very relaxing and we spent several hours dosing in the conservatory in our robe & slippers!

The staff were very friendly and accomodating, and genuinely seemed to take an interest in us and took the time to chat.

In summary I would definitely recommend this hotel but as I said earlier, this is a very old place and if you're after a 'Gleneagles' style break then this isn't the place. But if you want a very comfortable and relaxing break surrounded by history then is for you.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Taittinger21
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This castle is stunning ... The grounds are beautiful the chapel is perfect, the dungeon is amazing, the library is fabulous - our room was nice it had been refurbished at some point a modern old style the bathroom was very modern but the tv in the bath did not work. Disappointing. The spa and the partitions made it feel like a travel lodge and did not do the castle justice ... However the staff we met were all so helpful, the food was lovely and my husband had a 1 hour massage & thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Staff organisation : bad
Room : very good
The castle itself : lovely But looking slightly tired
Spa facility's : excellent
Dungeon resturant : excellent
Falconry : excellent

Hotel would be perfect with a better communication and more motivated staff and the main areas of the hotel need abit of a re-decoration.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I expected a stay at a Scottish castle to be a fabled experience so to speak, but Dalhousie was a little less than extraordinary I'm afraid to say. The interior of the castle is nicely decorated with furniture and objects from various periods. Their library is a quintessential one, complete with a giant fireplace, and it was my favorite part of the castle. Our room was done in the Georgian style, and while it lacked in opulence, it was sweet and had everything we needed. I didn't visit the spa during my stay, but I saw that the partition that they built to separate the spa area from the rest of the castle, as well as other newer additions, was made using very ordinary materials commonly found in suburban homes with no style and which did not even try to match the rest of the decor, I had called to ask about falconry and was told that they would email me back regarding availability but I never heard back. When I arrived, I went over to the falconry and was surprised to find that they were not fully booked at the time for which I had asked, and consequently, I was not too happy about not having gotten a reply, since that is one of their main attractions. And now onto the food: we were disappointed. I expected dinner to be fabulous, and while the presentation was good, the menu did not have enough options, the food was lacking in flavor, the salmon was overcooked, and overall we felt it was a poor attempt at fine dining. Breakfast was even worse-I have gotten better breakfasts at 2 star hotels back home. They put no effort and no creativity into it, and the portions were tiny. Their cereal/yogurt/fruit selection was appalling. And no scones!!! How does a traditional Scottish establishment not have scones!!?? I was very upset. Dalhousie castle is a good spot to stay for one night only and avoid the hustle and bustle of Edinburgh. And then you go off searching for grander castles across the rest of the country.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed for a long weekend in January, this being our second visit we already knew what to expect but our experience surpassed even our high expectations. Both the interior and exterior of the building are stunning and the rooms are of the quality and character that are in keeping with this gorgeous building. The dining experience in the Dungeon restaurant is the best I have had and in the most fantastic setting.

I feel that the reviews on here are disgraceful and unjustified, yes the road has a few potholes yes the building is a bit draughty and yes some fixtures and fittings are a bit dated but remember this is a 17th century castle!!! If you want smooth roads, modern decor, the ease of modern doors and windows to open and ok food then go to a travellodge. However if you want to experience a genuine luxury medieval castle visit Dalhousie. Superb!!!!!
And I speak from experience of being a senior figure at Cameron House Hotel over the last few years so I do know what I'm talking about!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple