Our stay got off to a shakey start with our room (Robert the Bruce) being ready about 90 minutes after the promised time. A bit disappointing considering the price of the room and rating of the establishment.
Things were a bit more disappointing because we chose this place as a special respite during our honeymoon for the spas that were included with the stay. However, they suffered a minor fire prior to our visit which closed the facility that is included with the room tariff. We had spent several days hiking and really looked forward to enjoying the spas. Even the extra-pay spas had already been fully booked. The Castle made no attempt to remedy this situation in any way nor attempted to contact us prior to our visit that the spas would not be available.
When our room was available our bags were not automatically brought up the considerable flights of stairs to our room. We hauled them ourselves.
The room was comfortable, the bath first rate. The sheets were no better than a budget hotel! They were clean, but quite scratchy. The bath towels were very soft and comfy. But, the cheesy sheets were extrememly disappointing for such an expensive place.
We had dinner in the dungeon - it was by far the best meal and service either of us had ever experienced. The food was amazing and the service managed to top it. The setting in the dungeon made for a very romantic and intimate experience. By luck, we even managed to have one room to ourselves. Bravo!
The staff other than at the front desk were great. We really enjoyed them. However, I would hesitate to spend such money on a room there again. If the hotel had offered to pay for our lunch while we waited for our room, or offered complimentary drinks after dinner, we might not have felt ripped off. But, the Dungeon Restaurant is very much worth the visit and I would highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie
- Dalhousie Castle Scotland/Bonnyrigg, UK