“Dungeon Restaurant 1st rate, sheets came from a budget motel”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 26 July 2005

Our stay got off to a shakey start with our room (Robert the Bruce) being ready about 90 minutes after the promised time. A bit disappointing considering the price of the room and rating of the establishment.

Things were a bit more disappointing because we chose this place as a special respite during our honeymoon for the spas that were included with the stay. However, they suffered a minor fire prior to our visit which closed the facility that is included with the room tariff. We had spent several days hiking and really looked forward to enjoying the spas. Even the extra-pay spas had already been fully booked. The Castle made no attempt to remedy this situation in any way nor attempted to contact us prior to our visit that the spas would not be available.

When our room was available our bags were not automatically brought up the considerable flights of stairs to our room. We hauled them ourselves.

The room was comfortable, the bath first rate. The sheets were no better than a budget hotel! They were clean, but quite scratchy. The bath towels were very soft and comfy. But, the cheesy sheets were extrememly disappointing for such an expensive place.

We had dinner in the dungeon - it was by far the best meal and service either of us had ever experienced. The food was amazing and the service managed to top it. The setting in the dungeon made for a very romantic and intimate experience. By luck, we even managed to have one room to ourselves. Bravo!

The staff other than at the front desk were great. We really enjoyed them. However, I would hesitate to spend such money on a room there again. If the hotel had offered to pay for our lunch while we waited for our room, or offered complimentary drinks after dinner, we might not have felt ripped off. But, the Dungeon Restaurant is very much worth the visit and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2004
11  Thank staplehead
There are newer reviews for Dalhousie Castle

A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 31 January 2005

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left , our stay was fantastic. This is no ordinary Hotel, you feel as if your living in a piece of the history of Scotland. Dungeon Restaurant , falconry , Spa , nice walks in the country side, good food and great service. Its busy however and 80 +/- stairs to our bedroom is not for everybody, but you don't visit a castle to expect a lift!
We will be back.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 January 2005

Wonderful stay. Very expensive, but worth it. We had a wonderful room, and kids loved exploring.

3  Thank tonymsrad
Reviewed 12 December 2004

11  Thank MicJam
Reviewed 30 November 2004

I was not attending a wedding here but just wanted to spend a few days relaxing. Whilst I found nothing really bad enough that would want me to leave the hotel I was disappointed after the rave reviews I had read. A looked at the wedding chapel and agree this looks lovely and photographs taken in the grounds will be very nice. However, I feel that it's not worth spending more than one night here if coming for a wedding.

To walk the fields you have to traverse a steep slope and as there were not many paths (hard road type) you will find it muddy and slippy in the winter. The spa itself was very nice but I was disappointed that I had to leave the spa area in a dressing gown to reach the treatment room, other guests going to lunch or dinner have to pass you on the stairs.

I requested a newspaper but this did not arrive. I requested that my bed be separated into a twin before arrival but this was not done and I had to request this again after check-in. I contacted reception to complain that there were around 6 dead flies stuck to the inside of my window and to ask for them to be removed - again nothing was done. Some of the reception staff had a rather poor attitude. The outside of the windows were filthy and looked as if they hadn't been cleaned for quite a while. I also noticed some of the other windows on the top floors were covered with bird droppings and had what looked like wasp nests outside. I have stayed in lots of 4 and 5 star hotels throughout the world and don't expect perfection but you are paying a lot of money for this hotel I expected better.

• Stayed: January 2005
22  Thank normanna
Reviewed 26 September 2004

6  Thank rumpalina
A TripAdvisor Member
Johnston, RI
Reviewed 25 September 2004

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#13 of 150 in Edinburgh
Prestonfield
#4 of 150 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!