2,111 results
All reviews minster mill the river fire pit spa treatments sloe gin the pub beautiful hotel beautiful surroundings cream tea relaxing weekend both nights breakfast and dinner lovely touch little touches two night stay superior room short break
Reviewed December 1, 2016 via mobile

Very good food, staff and accommodation. First Class in the middle of the Oxfordshire countryside. Staff so friendly and helpful. Rooms cosy and well equipped and food choice and quality excellent. Breakfast was so good.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steven a
HostManager, Guest Host at Old Swan & Minster Mill, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2016

Dear steven a

What a lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts on our beautiful property. I will pass on your comments to the whole team who work tirelessly to keep the hotel looking its best and ensuring our valued guests are well looked after. Please do come back soon, our brand new Garden Spa opened yesterday and is a luxurious addition to the Inn. We hope to welcome you back soon. Very best wishes, Dawn

Reviewed December 1, 2016

We spent two nights at the Old Swan & Minster Mill to celebrate my wife's birthday. I was attracted by it's Cotswold location, picturesque setting and that it was part of the Brownsword Hotels who own Gidleigh Park where we went for her birthday last year.

Our arrival wasn't very welcoming. The receptionist offered no help with our bags and just gestured towards the corridor and said that's where our room was. It was a
good 5 minutes along the corridor up a few stairs until finally finding our riverside room at the bottom of about 10 stairs. I paid extra for a 'Feature Room' (beside the river) but it lacked any drawers for storing clothes just having two small shelves at floor level under a large bench plus a cupboard for a wardrobe. There was no dressing table or even a clock in our room which we asked for but were told they didn't have any and that they don't advertise that they have them! No information about hotel services was provided in the room which a receptionist explained that it was being updated because of new ownership. The bathroom also not that large having a standard sized bath with shower attachment though there were L'Occitaine soaps etc. Good tea and coffee making facilities plus sherry and mineral were provided and the view of the river was lovely.

All dining took place across the road in the Old Swan which is a lovely old inn with welcoming log fires and various cosy snugs where you can sit as well as the attractive dining room. Dinner was good with very attentive service by the young staff. Breakfast was a buffet which was very good except for the fried and scrambled eggs that were obviously cooked earlier and were unappealing. (we subsequently learnt you could order freshly cooked eggs as we saw others having them bought to the table). Coffee, tea and toast was ordered at the table but this needed repeated requests before it finally arrived.

Although I appreciated that it was the latest addition to Brownsword Hotels I didn't expect this level of service and the disappointing room.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
HostManager, Guest Host at Old Swan & Minster Mill, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2016

Dear Pinner Traveller

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Old Swan & Minster Mill, I am delighted that you enjoyed so much of your stay, the beautiful setting of our River rooms along with good food, attentive service and the beautiful 15th century Old Swan restaurant. I am obviously concerned, and disappointed, by some of your comments which I have sent to all relevant heads of department for review. I am so very sorry that you were not given a warm welcome on your arrival to the property and offered any help with your bags. As you can see from previous reviews, time and time again we are acknowledged for our friendly and helpful staff so please accept my sincere apologies that this was lacking at the time of your arrival, I am baffled as to why this was the case as we have an excellent Reception team. I do hope that you will return one day and we will do our very best to ensure that your next stay is a great one. Once again, many thanks for your constructive comments. Best wishes, Dawn

Reviewed November 25, 2016 via mobile

We have stayed at The Old Swan and Minster Mill twice before and have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves but this two night stay has been exceptional. Stayed In The Garden Suite which is very private, cosy and has been tastefully decorated in keeping with the Old Swan's history. The staff as always were friendly and always serve with a smile but with highest praise going to the lovely Sandra who was jolly, friendly, warm and very attentive. The food is fabulous and is presented with care and attention to detail. Delicious flavours and unusual but wonderful creations especially the cold coconut rice pudding - genius!
We would highly recommend this hotel and restaurant nestled in the beautiful cotswold countryside.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear JW19801

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we all work very hard to make our guests stay exceptional so when we hear that this has been achieved we are obviously delighted. I will pass on your lovely comments to the whole team but especially to Sandra. We hope to welcome you back soon, our Garden Spa is opening tomorrow and is looking sensational, perhaps book in for a treatment next time you visit and spend a few hours relaxing by the pool. Thank you again, very best wishes, Dawn

Reviewed November 25, 2016

Expectations were raised as we approached our hotel which was set in beautiful grounds. Car parking a little confusing as the hotel is split into 2 buildings. One with just rooms and the other rooms and the restaurant/bar. Classic room which was very small and was accessed by exiting the hotel and climbing stairs. Head height was restricted and the bed was too small. Bathroom a good size but the bath was very high to step in to. Very good Breakfast which was help yourself. The evening meal was very good quality and the service was excellent. The hotel has just been taken over and following discussion we understand improvements are expected.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billythefish1
HostManager, Guest Host at Old Swan & Minster Mill, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2016

Dear Billythefish1

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is great to read that you found the staff, food and location excellent, we work to very high standards and it is good to read that this was visible during your stay.

I am not sure of the actual room that you were allocated however If you were upstairs in the Old Swan then there are two staircases available, one of them goes to/from the bar area so there is no need to go outside and the other is the exit to the carpark which I gather is the one you were using, I apologise that you were not made aware that there are two staircases. The Classic rooms are our standard rooms and all of them offer a standard size double bed, this is clearly stated on our website. We do have a wide range of rooms and beds of various sizes so if you do return please speak to our helpful reservations team who can recommend a room with a larger bed for you.

Thank you once again for your review, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards, Dawn Sharp

Reviewed November 23, 2016 via mobile

I booked the hotel's autumn escape package as a surprise for my husband's birthday. My first email to the hotel was never answered. I then called directly to book the package + spa treatment and was told everything was done ( the receptionist even took my card details) and I should receive a confirmation email. The night before our arrival, I still didn't receive anything so I called again. No booking found! The staff I was talking with quickly sorted it out. I kept mentioning it was for my husband's birthday and wondered if they could do anything special. As soon as I got the confirmation email which mentioned they can arrange champagne and chocolate , I replied straight away, asking them to do that for me. The next day when we arrived, I checked with the receptionist if the champagne and chocolate were put in the room. Guess the answer! No! So I said we would come back to check in after we had some lunch and had our spa treatments just so they had time to do that. Went to the spa, they only booked 1 treatment for 1 person. That was sorted out quickly though. While I was having my treatment, I got an email from the hotel saying that champagne and chocolate had been arranged ( for your reference: 59£ for champagne and £10 for small box of chocolate) and a small birthday cake as a present from the hotel in dinner. Yet, no cake after dinner at all.
The hotel itself is lovely. Food was great. It could of been a lot more enjoyable stay.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hn-oldtown95

Dear hn-oldtown95

Thank you for your candid comments and feedback. Generally it appears that you really enjoyed your stay with us, you have noted that the hotel was lovely, as was the food which is obviously great to hear. It is such a shame that you had some issues with communication and this tainted your view of the property. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you as it appears that we never received your first email and your reservation was initially made on booking.com and then cancelled by yourself via the same website. I am not quite sure what happened after that but I have forwarded your comments to our Reservations Manager who is looking at the sequence of events and how/if we could have avoided the issues you have mentioned. Please contact me to discuss this further, host@oldswanminstermill.co.uk.

Once again thank you for your feedback and apologies for our downfalls on this occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hopefully next time you will experience our regular excellent level of communication.

Very best wishes, Dawn Sharp