2,093 results
All reviewsminster millthe riverfire pitspa treatmentssloe ginthe pubbeautiful hotelbeautiful surroundingscream tearelaxing weekendboth nightsbreakfast and dinnerlovely touchlittle touchestwo night staysuperior roomshort break
Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

Our whole view of the trip was mixed and interestingly I have read similar views since.

The room
We decided to treat ourselves to a patio and log room. Sadly the snow fell the same day so we never got to use the log burner but we did have an amazing view of the river so felt it was worth it.

The rooms are smaller than they look online. Very clean although a found a stray towel under the bed and concerned me about housekeeping. Lovely little quirky things such as the sloe gin and marshmallows but one lamp didn't work and bathroom was old and disappointing. When you have to duck to take a shower it's not great!

Receptionists
Friendly but not the most useful staff. Sent us on the longest journey to our room and did not tell us everything that we would have found useful during our stay.

Restaurant
Breakfast was delicious and everything you could want from a breakfast selection. The dinner hall in the evening lacks atmosphere which really ruins dinner. The food was of a good standard but the drinks are definitely over priced and need reviewing. The waiters were exceptional and couldn't do enough to please their guests, however the waitresses could have done with a little more training.

The pub log fire is lovely but with only two seats nearby, you need to be quick to get the best seat.

Location
There is no denying that this hotel is in an amazing location and the grounds are beautiful to walk round. We were definitely spoiled with the snow scene too but as the pub lacks atmosphere, they have also lost a sense of personable approach. What I can imagine once was a family run business has now gone too corporate and has lost the personal touch.

Overall I felt this hotel was overpriced and could do with some new approaches to the restaurant and rooms to make them nicer.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
HostManager, Guest Host at Old Swan & Minster Mill, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2018

Dear Ladywillds

Thank you for posting your thoughts following your recent stay with us, we're pleased that much of your visit was a good one however it is disappointing to read of the negative aspects of your stay.

First of all, huge apologies that you experienced some issues with your bedroom. I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeper Manager to find out what went wrong. We have many rooms with walk in showers and separate baths however some do have the shower over the bath, apologies that this made the shower too low for you, please do let us know if you have any issues with your room and we will always do all we can to rectify the situation whilst you are in house.

We have a lovely new receptionist so it could be that she wasn't aware of the different possible routes to the Feature rooms by the river, apologies, I will ensure that she is made aware. There are only two routes to these bedrooms one is via the inside corridor and one along the outside path, both are the same distance.

It would be useful to know which dining room you are referring to as we have three rooms plus the bar area.I will pass on your comments to Andrew, our Food & Beverage Manager, to review the layout of these rooms and try to make them more atmospheric and ensure all waiting staff are trained to our normal high standard.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel was overpriced, please do contact me on 01993 774441 if you would like to discuss this further so I can fully understand where we can improve.

I do hope you will visit us again one day for a more enjoyable stay

Thank you once again for your useful comments

Kindest regards

Dawn

Reviewed March 15, 2018

This is a difficult review to write. There were many good things about this hotel. The food was good, the breakfast was very good, the waitress service was good. However, sadly, when we arrived we found the receptionist rather off hand and my much looked forward to treatment had been cancelled due to a staff problem. However, the woman in the spa dealt well with this and offered me free use of the spa before dinner which I accepted and enjoyed.
It was the room that let things down and sadly that is what we remember. It was a dog friendly room and I know the weather had been bad and, to be fair, we were exhausted when we arrived and only noticed how bad the room was after dinner and did not want to have to change rooms then, having unpacked ; we were only staying for one night. The carpet was stained and very damp underfoot. Put it this way, I had to put shoes on to go to the loo! The toilet seat was damaged underneath, the paintwork was tatty, the bathroom was mildewed in places, the windows dripped with condensation, there were no saucers for the cups. I have photos of all these things but will not post them here because there were a lot of good aspects to this hotel which I have already mentioned.
When I mentioned this to the receptionist, she said I should have told her earlier but really, it is not up to the guest to have to check the room out, the management should do it and, if necessary, use an alternative room. We sensed that because we were with Secret Escapes and had a dog with us, we had been put in a sub standard room.
A disappointing start to our holiday.

Room Tip: Do not use The Windrush Room unless it has bee improved.

Dear jus2neluke

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, obviously we are all disappointed by the negative aspects of your stay, what a terrible shame.

I am shocked that you found some of our team unfriendly, we normally have such wonderful feedback regarding our helpful and professional team. As I do not know the dates of your visit I would be most grateful if you could please call me on 01993 774441 to discuss the details of your stay or you can email me if easier at host@oldswanminstermill.co.uk.

We are truly sorry that some of your stay was not up to scratch but I look forward to speaking to you at your earliest convenience to try to make amends.

Kindest regards

Dawn

Reviewed March 15, 2018

What a lovely hotel, the setting is absolutely gorgeous and the staff are really welcoming and provide a superb service. We took our dog and everyone made such a fuss of her she was in her element.

The spa is gorgeous and very peaceful, treatments are good and reasonably priced.

When we went for dinner there was nothing on the menu I could eat, and so the chef made me something totally off plan, which in my opinion shows the difference between a good and a great restaurant. it was delicious and very much appreciated.

I understand there is to be some renovation, which i can't wait to see as this will take this from a great hotel to a superb one.

Thanks for a lovely stay, we will be back.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

We grabbed the opportunity for a two night stay here whilst our daughter was on a school trip - expecting it to be quite quiet in early March outside term time, it was surprisingly full of retired couples, parents like us sneaking a quick break and local ladies making the most of the spa.
This is a big operation, with a fairly sensitive modern expansion of a very nice old building and inn across the road. Room was a bit disappointing - a superior classification, the view was non-existent - ie. the building across the pathway. Lighting was also too dim in the room and the bathroom, and slamming doors from 08.00 did not add to the restful nature
Real Men of course are not generally big spa fans, but this one is quite cool - clean, airy and with a really nice West facing aspect with a great sunset view through the trees. My wife loved it but for me, as usual in these places, the 'massage' proved to be a nice back rub with oils rather than the full sports job to fix my knotty back muscles.
The inn (also used for breakfast and evening meals) has a big log fire and a generally cosy feel. The food however, despite being well cooked and presented, is overpriced (easily London prices) and the menu really quite limited. The only fish option was essentially 'fish and chips" at nearly £20 a throw.
Breakfast options are good but on our second morning the staff seemed really under pressure with a full house and both our poached eggs (Benedict and standard) were undercooked.
SO: Nice spa, pleasant location but should do better with the food if they charge these prices.

Room Tip: Insist on a view across the grounds
1  Thank AeolusChiswick
Reviewed March 14, 2018

My wife and i stayed for a long weekend with 6 friends. The location is excellent. Very quiet area. Food in restaurant was delicious. We had breakfast both mornings and dinner one night. I had 1 issue with our pillows but they were sorted quickly the next morning. I'd come back, without a doubt.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel