1,397 results
All reviews executive room beautiful location ptarmigan restaurant sauna and steam room bar meals leisure facilities rannoch station lovely hotel separate building log fire both nights public areas lounge bar bit dated main restaurant hotel is situated scallops
Reviewed November 6, 2018

Just spent a wonderful week at Lochrannoch village and decided to go for Dinner with friends on Sunday night (28th October) to the McDonald Loch Rannoch Hotel.
We arrived just before 7pm and went to the bar to order drinks before finding a table and ordering food,
As I ordered the drinks the barman informed me they had no ice?
But the girls in our company were happy enough to do without the ice,
So drinks were ordered and paid for,
However one of the glasses we were given was dirty and had lemon seeds in the bottom of glass,
It took the barman a good 5 minutes to change the glass,
And when he did it was roasting hot as it was obviously fresh out of the dishwasher, ( no apology for taking so long)
We then sat down at a table and started to look at the menu,
Right away a waitress arrived and her opening statement was,
“ if you want food you have 1 minute to order”
No explanation or any conversation from her as we hurriedly ordered 2 main coures,
No please or thank you from her as she turned away with the order in hand,
The food arrived quickly, but was average at best,
We did notice other people, ( maybe hotel residents ordering food a good 20 minutes after us)
We paid for food and decided to ask at reception if we could speak to the general manager,
The receptionist was very abrupt,
And said the GM was not available,
I then asked if she would let me have the managers name,
She was determined not to furnish me with his name,
I asked 3 times without being given his name,
And only when I said it would be easy to find out via the hotel website who the manage was,
Did she eventually give me his name,
At no point did she ask or show any interest on why I was asking,
I deliberated over going back to speak with the manager however having read other reviews on tripadvisor,
I believe this would have been a waste of time,
Don’t be fooled by the A Board on the hotel driveway, saying everyone welcome,
I have a very strong feeling if you are not a resident you are a nuisance to the staff,
I can fully understand if the hotel was busy but this was not the case,
I hate writing poor reviews as I always believe in the best in people,
However we were made to feel like 2nd class citizens from start to finish,
If you are thinking of going here for a meal and you are not a resident,
I would not bother.
If it was possible to rate the service as zero out of 5 I would have.

3  Thank DJH60
Reviewed October 27, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for our first wedding anniversary. Despite their online description of the place being “opulent and luxurious “ it really was not what we expected. We had booked online a superior room with Loch view and a bottle of champagne on arrival. I have to say the view of the loch from room 103 was stunning and the only reason this review has 3 stars. The positives end there. No Champagne in the room despite having paid for it. After half an hour of trying to find confirmation emails it was eventually brought to the Room by a young man who handed a warm bottle over and said “sorry I’d have put it in some ice but we’ve got none” . The room itself was dated to say the least, the iron was filthy, the bathroom was filthy, the toilet stank and had never seen A toilet duck in its life. The plug in the bath was broken and that’s before we start on the food. On our first night we decided just to eat in the bar / lounge. They have comfy seating and a log fire (star 2) and a chess board which is a nice touch. I ordered a chicken Caesar salad (£11.95) it was awful. A huge bowl of lettuce saturated in Caesar dressing and four small strips of chicken on the top. Nothing else at all,no tomatoes , no croutons , no anchovies, no Parmesan , nothing! The breakfast is mediocre, the restaurant for the evening serves a nice but very limited menu and everything is so expensive! You have to pay a supplement for lots of things which,is totally unjustified (£5 extra for cheese board, £3 extra for kippers or egg at breakfast). The staff are pleasant enough but on the whole the place is a tired, dated, over priced let down. We won’t be back.

3  Thank Victoriamolloy
Reviewed October 27, 2018 via mobile

My title is aimed at those 1 star givers of the last month. I get the impression that those maybe assumed 4 or 5 star hotel rating, but it is only 3 stars.
My wife and I thought that the room itself was lovely and with a view of Loch Rannoch. Spacious and well furnished and clean. The only thing letting it down was the generally poor state of repair and the gastly rotten bath panel suffering from a leaking shower screen and left for far too long, and tiredness of carpets.
It's clear that the hotel as a whole needs an overhaul and MacDonald hotels seem to have forgotten it and left it behind to fend for itself.
We had a bar meal on the first night which was absolutely fine but we skipped the dining room dinner on the second night as we felt it was too bright and as a result, lacked ambiance which would have been there had they just tweaked the lighting. Breakfast was very good and no more, or less than expected.
Staff were generally friendly and seemed to be there 24 hours, at times, a little chaotic but getting there in the end.
Overall an enjoyable couple of days and still worth the room rate.
(Please sort your leaking showers out, you might be creating more costly remedial work in the floors if you keep ignoring it. Fixed short screen with a curtain is the most reliable solution I would say. Hinged screen's will always fail in the end - sorry, it's the architect in me)

1  Thank AndrewKeir
Reviewed October 23, 2018 via mobile

A family of us stayed nearby and thought we would get takeaway pizzas as we had seen them advertised all week outside of the hotel. We enquired at reception and we’re told that the pizza facilities were unavailable. We asked further about this and the incorrect signage and the receptionist was most unhelpful and claimed she was ‘only on reception’. It was like we were a huge inconvenience.

Out of other options in the small village of Kinloch Rannoch (the village shop closes at 6pm) we decided we would have bar food instead. We were then informed by a waiter that as we were non residents we were unable to be served. The bar area was quiet therefore I didn’t see a reason that we couldn’t be served or even offered a delay in waiting for food perhaps. Both of these options are falsely advertised outside of the hotel! We couldn’t believe it. Therefore we were out of options for the night and made do with the small supplies we did have.

I have since tried to contact the hotel via email and social media in order to rectify the advertising issue as we hope this doesn’t happen to other families in the future.

Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank LornaB27
Reviewed October 22, 2018 via mobile

We came here for a night away. Lovely location however the hotel itself is a major let down. We were in room 10 and it’s in desperate need of a make over. The decor is 30 years out of date. The carpets are needing replacing too. The bathroom has a leak around the toilet. The bath had mould all around it. The bed was comfortable enough.

We went for dinner and although quite expensive it was lovely. The breakfast in the morning was a major let down. Could barley touch it.

The hotel was really busy so there is no need for this hotel to be in the state it’s in. The other major disappointment is the 4pm check in. And the 11am check out. So we never got a chance to use the pool or other facilities.

It lacks atmosphere and it’s not somewhere I would return too.

The reason for my 3 stars is the comfy bed, nice location and good food (not breakfast) and that’s me being generous!

3  Thank kirstymcl77