The Dolphin Inn(Thorpeness)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgolf coursegolf breakpro shopgreat golfround of golfrowing boattwin bedsboating lakesuperior roomroom was largesuffolk coastkippersmain buildingone night staylovely settingcooked breakfastshort break
Reviewed April 2, 2018

Shared my 60th . birthday party with my twin at Thorpeness country club and we had an amazing time.
Great venue as the room is full of character and has a large dance floor.Pretty as a picture when all decorated with party trinkets. We had a sit down meal which was so tasty and well presented everyone commented on the quality of the food. Lorraine was our event co-ordinator and hats off to her for a brilliant job. Thank you to all the staff involved for giving my sister and I a night to remember.

Stayed: March 2018
Brad_McLean, General Manager at Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Thank you for your lovely review and we at Thorpeness Country Club were very proud to have been a small part of your fantastic celebrations. Happy Birthday to you both and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2018 via mobile

Visited the golf club today after walking with the dog from Aldeburgh. We had a lovely meal- great value for 2/3 courses- the roast beef was delicious. Only negative was our table was a little wobbly! We soon solved this.

Having walked 50 ish minutes to then eat 2/3 courses we couldn’t face the walk back to Aldeburgh with full stomachs and being later in the day in February, it was rather fresh outside. My wife spoke to a lovely young lad on reception who said he would ring a taxi for us and get us from the bar when it arrived. However this had no success so Tom offered to take us back himself. He did not expect payment either which was ever so kind.

We would definitely return!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Brad_McLean, General Manager at Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2018

Thank you for your review and I am very pleased you enjoyed your Sunday lunch. I will be sure to pass your kind comments back to Tom, he always goes out of his way to offer excellent guest experiences and I am very happy to hear how he went above and beyond to assist you.
Starting on the 11th March we will have live music every Sunday in the restaurant during lunch service and i hope you may be able to join us again.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Thorpeness soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2018 via mobile

Thorpeness is a lovely village in a beautiful part of Suffolk, highly recommend a visit. During the half term I took our family of four on a short break and stayed at this hotel.

In summary: the setting is beautiful, the restaurant staff very friendly, the food was generally OK although on the second night my burger was dripping raw with blood at its centre. This burger I later throughup in the night. The hotel was generally run down, the view from the bedroom was a car park under construction.

The negative points I mentioned above, I would have probably overlooked but the icing on the cake for me was the checkout! The woman at the checkout had overcharged me, she spoke to me in an abrupt and condescending manner. This woman simply should not be in a customer facing job and certainly not in the hospitality business. It felt like the receptionist was ignorantly trying to haggle with me over the bill at some low end market. The bill was unnecessarily printed over several pages, and when scrutinised was clearly wrong. I.e. they charge me for two full English breakfasts for my 12 mouth old daughter. An extra bed, over charged me £24 for dinner on the first night and the list goes on. I stay in a lot of hotels for business and pleasure, and it is not often I feel this compelled to write a negative review.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank ELRichardson80
Brad_McLean, General Manager at Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I did also speak with yourself at the desk and at that time you commented that the burger was pink in the middle, not dripping raw as you describe here, and when I asked if you sent it back you commented you did not. I do apologize if you felt the burger made you ill, I did explain that it was very unlikely you were sick from the burger itself that quickly and that all of our burgers are temperature probed to ensure they reach a safe temperature. It was good to know though that you were much better the next morning and able to enjoy your full English breakfast. There was some confusion over your bill as the package you were on only included a £12 meal allowance per person, but there was miscommunication from somewhere in which you believed it was £24 per person. As a good will gesture I immediately removed the extra charges as well as the burger from your bill with no questions asked. We have many guests that enjoy their visit with us and return time and time again to enjoy the Suffolk hospitality and beautiful surroundings but I do apologize if your visit caused you any inconvenience.

Reviewed February 5, 2018

Had a great two night stay here meeting up with family. Our rooms were large and beautifully furnished, with everything supplied from bottled water and toiletries selection to hair dryer and ironing board. We ate in the restaurant on our first night and the menu selection was great, and the food exceptional. However, it was the staff that helped make our stay perfect, they were so attentive with nothing too much trouble. The only slight irritation was that the electric plug sockets in the room were not positioned well, meaning we had to boil the kettle on the floor to reach a socket, one table lamp could not reach any plug and there was no mirror accessible when using the hairdryer as the plug was too far away. Having said all that would still recommend this hotel and definitely stay again!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2018 via mobile

Great location as an alternative to Aldeburgh. Friendly staff, good service and very convenient for local amenities of cafes, pub walks etc. Very comfortable bed. Room provided access to garden for dog. So lovely immediately booked to return.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple