“Too much style over substance”
Review of 1919 Restaurant

1919 Restaurant
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2017

The 1912 restaurant promised much with an excellent web site and its fabulous location halfway up the eastern side of the Malvern hills. But there the promise ended.

Loud piped music in the bar, a disinterested barman and dinner orders not taken in the bar but at the table started the disappointment. Bread arrived after the starter and the wine and water not at all until I reminded a waitress that I had ordered wine. Feeling of disinterest in us, as we were not staying the night there, made worse by the table next to, and who had arrived after, us had their order taken first and their bread and wine arrived promptly!

As to the food itself; mediocre I am sorry to say. To start my wife ordered the cured sea bream which even she realised was a mistake. Raw fish served this way has to be the freshest possible, caught that morning at the very latest, and that is just not possible in Malvern. I opted for the lamb sweetbreads which was very tasty but had been thrown on the plate in a very messy way. It needed something to bring it together; bread or toast or something similar.

For the main course my wife chose the Sirloin of beef. When I suggested to the a waitress that she should ask how it should be cooked she was aghast that anyone should ask such a thing. Flustered she said well it will be served pink. That would have been fine but it arrived totally raw in the middle. We should have sent it back but we were there to celebrate a birthday and wanted to eat together rather than one person then the other when it would have been returned.

My choice was the braised shin and oxtail cottage pie. It arrived in its cooking utensil on a paper napkin on the plate! Why oh why do restaurants think it is chic to serve food in the dish in which it has been cooked, utter laziness! The vegetable of purple sprouting broccoli arrived in another metal utensil. I want a meal when I go out presented on a plate, not to have to eat out of two separate metal cooking pots. The cottage pie itself was more mash than filling. I would think the correct proportion should be about 80% filling and 20% topping. In this case it was 15% filling and 85% mashed potato.

This report would have been with a two star rating had it not been for the deserts. I have to admit they were to die for. Glazed bananas for my wife and the chocolate mousse for myself.

If you must come to the Cottage in the Wood then miss the starter and main and just go for coffee and a desert.

TheCottageTeam, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Hello,
Thank you for visiting 1919 Restaurant and Bar and for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear that the experience failed to live up to your expectations. It is our aim to provide excellent service to all our guests including those visiting the restaurant and bar - it seems we fell short of this on this occasion and I am sorry. Please be assured that the food we serve is all completely fresh including the fish which is delivered to us on the same day it is caught from the coast of Cornwall. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your dessert. I do hope you will visit us again so that we can have the opportunity to restore your faith in the quality of service we provide. Thank you again and I do hope to welcome you back again.
Warm wishes,
Julia and all the team here at 1919 Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed 1 October 2017

(We came for dinner. We did not stay at the hotel so we cannot comment on that but if it's anything like their dinner service it will be exceptional ) My husband dropped me by the door so he could park and I was met instantly with a warm welcome and a comment on how lovely I looked. ( That does a girl a power of good as they say !) and she settled me in the bar to make sure I was comfortable and happy. All the staff were really friendly but not over the top. It seemed genuine. The food was lovely. Nothing out of this world but really good tasty food. The desserts were yummy.

TheCottageTeam, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Hi Jude,
Thank you for visiting 1919 Restaurant. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience. It is wonderful to read such positive feedback about the service, food and overall experience. I have passed on your comments to the team who are happy to hear you enjoyed your evening. Thank you again for your kind words. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Warm wishes,
Julia and all the 1919 Restaurant team here

Reviewed 22 September 2017

We went here with friends. The restaurant is well located and we had a window table with great views over Malvern.
Unfortunately the service was a little lacking, having not been here before we came through the main door and just found ourselves in an unmanned lobby. Having looked around I found a member of staff sitting at a desk and said we had a booking. We were shown to our table but were left to just put our coats over the back of our chairs. Having ordered wine we also had to request for the bottle to be brought over since we were left for nearly 30 mins with just our water.
The food was good, I enjoyed all my options but my husband said his fish and chips could have been better. The deserts were the best course so don't skip these.

Hello,
Thank you for visiting 1919 Restaurant. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the food and the views from your table in the restaurant. Thank you for your comments about the dessert - I will pass on your comments to our pastry chef. I am sorry that the service provided failed to live up to your expectations. We all work together to do our best to provide a fast, efficient and friendly service. Obviously, on this occasion we fell short of achieving this goal. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We are continuously working to improve the standards of service we provide and feedback such as this helps us to do this. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Julia and all the team at 1919 Restaurant

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel and booked an evening meal the food is expensive but very nice the restaurant lacked atmosphere and without tablecloths looked very plain for fine dining , the way the tables and chairs were laid out looked wrong and seating you next the person you are with is also wrong and not opposite , I think some pictures on the wall would help to enhance the experience , we would not return to this restaurant,no atmosphere no vibe and dull

Hi Chris,
Thank you for joining us at 1919 Restaurant when you visited The Malverns. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and service. Although I am very disappointed that you didn't like the table arrangements. We are happy for guests to choose their seat in the restaurant whenever possible. If you visit again please let us know your preferences in terms of seating arrangements and we will do our best to accommodate these. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Best wishes,
Julia and all team at 1919 Restaurant.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Lovely meal (not cheap), good service, beautiful setting. Ordered crab but unfortunately it had all gone so had the pork. The pork cheek fritter was delicious. My husband had the roast cod with brown shrimp and clams which he thoroughly enjoyed. The desserts were very good, the blood orange sorbet was intense!

Hi Lois,
Thank you for visiting 1919 Restaurant. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience. We have just launched our new Autumn menu so if you visit again you will find a new range of tasty delights to choose from - you will also find the prices have been adjusted accordingly. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review - we really appreciate hearing your thoughts. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Julia and all the team