“Too pricey for what is offered.”
Review of 1919 Restaurant

1919 Restaurant
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 25 October 2017

Generally speaking food was good albeit a little overpriced. The better quality red wines tend to be served at cellar temperature - too cold!

TheCottageTeam, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Hello,
Thank you for visiting 1919 and for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry that the food failed to live up to your expectations. We have noted your comments and we will discuss these as a team with a view to ensuring all guests are satisfied with the food and wine in the future.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Julia

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

Excellent food and wine. Superb fish dishes. Beautifully presented and full of flavours. Sensitive to dietary requirements. Good atmosphere. Interior design, modern and sophisticated.

Hi Janet,
Thank you for your kind words about the meals you enjoyed at 1919 Restaurant & Bar. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the atmosphere, decor and food. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit The Cottage in the Wood.
Julia and all the team

Reviewed 24 October 2017

We ate lunch admiring the view over the open countryside below. The restaurant and bar have been brilliantly re-decorated and furnished. 1919 offers a comprehensive choice at breakfast: lunch was superbly prepared and presented. The staff are competent and helpful.

Hi Martin,
Thank you for visiting 1919 restaurant and sharing your glowing review with us. I am delighted to hear that you like the newly refurbished restaurant and bar as well as the meals you enjoyed in the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Warm wishes,
Julia

Reviewed 4 October 2017

The 1912 restaurant promised much with an excellent web site and its fabulous location halfway up the eastern side of the Malvern hills. But there the promise ended.

Loud piped music in the bar, a disinterested barman and dinner orders not taken in the bar but at the table started the disappointment. Bread arrived after the starter and the wine and water not at all until I reminded a waitress that I had ordered wine. Feeling of disinterest in us, as we were not staying the night there, made worse by the table next to, and who had arrived after, us had their order taken first and their bread and wine arrived promptly!

As to the food itself; mediocre I am sorry to say. To start my wife ordered the cured sea bream which even she realised was a mistake. Raw fish served this way has to be the freshest possible, caught that morning at the very latest, and that is just not possible in Malvern. I opted for the lamb sweetbreads which was very tasty but had been thrown on the plate in a very messy way. It needed something to bring it together; bread or toast or something similar.

For the main course my wife chose the Sirloin of beef. When I suggested to the a waitress that she should ask how it should be cooked she was aghast that anyone should ask such a thing. Flustered she said well it will be served pink. That would have been fine but it arrived totally raw in the middle. We should have sent it back but we were there to celebrate a birthday and wanted to eat together rather than one person then the other when it would have been returned.

My choice was the braised shin and oxtail cottage pie. It arrived in its cooking utensil on a paper napkin on the plate! Why oh why do restaurants think it is chic to serve food in the dish in which it has been cooked, utter laziness! The vegetable of purple sprouting broccoli arrived in another metal utensil. I want a meal when I go out presented on a plate, not to have to eat out of two separate metal cooking pots. The cottage pie itself was more mash than filling. I would think the correct proportion should be about 80% filling and 20% topping. In this case it was 15% filling and 85% mashed potato.

This report would have been with a two star rating had it not been for the deserts. I have to admit they were to die for. Glazed bananas for my wife and the chocolate mousse for myself.

If you must come to the Cottage in the Wood then miss the starter and main and just go for coffee and a desert.

TheCottageTeam, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Hello,
Thank you for visiting 1919 Restaurant and Bar and for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear that the experience failed to live up to your expectations. It is our aim to provide excellent service to all our guests including those visiting the restaurant and bar - it seems we fell short of this on this occasion and I am sorry. Please be assured that the food we serve is all completely fresh including the fish which is delivered to us on the same day it is caught from the coast of Cornwall. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your dessert. I do hope you will visit us again so that we can have the opportunity to restore your faith in the quality of service we provide. Thank you again and I do hope to welcome you back again.
Julia and all the team here at 1919 Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed 1 October 2017

(We came for dinner. We did not stay at the hotel so we cannot comment on that but if it's anything like their dinner service it will be exceptional ) My husband dropped me by the door so he could park and I was met instantly with a warm welcome and a comment on how lovely I looked. ( That does a girl a power of good as they say !) and she settled me in the bar to make sure I was comfortable and happy. All the staff were really friendly but not over the top. It seemed genuine. The food was lovely. Nothing out of this world but really good tasty food. The desserts were yummy.

TheCottageTeam, Owner at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Hi Jude,
Thank you for visiting 1919 Restaurant. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience. It is wonderful to read such positive feedback about the service, food and overall experience. I have passed on your comments to the team who are happy to hear you enjoyed your evening. Thank you again for your kind words. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Julia and all the 1919 Restaurant team here