“Oozes what a French bistro would be and taste like...”

Bon Ap' Petit Bistro
Ranked #5 of 309 Restaurants in Fitzroy
Neighbourhood: Fitzroy
Neighbourhood: Fitzroy
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Booked by a mate to have dinner with some mates visiting from interstate. I must say that first impressions is that place does ooze french charm. Well te reminded me of the bistros I ate at in Paris anyway. Quaint and squashy. We were initially ushered to the rear because our table wasn't ready. The previous were eating and drinking terribly slowly. Finally we were brought to the front and seated close to the entrance of the restaurant.
The food was quite delicious and obviously french. One thing to note that this is traditional distro french and not gastronomical french. Many of the classics were on the menu. Entrees were enjoyed by all and good that the bread is free flowing because the portions of the bread is too small.
We had mains that required sharing as they were cooked for two. The steak and the cassoulet. It was all great until the dessert. We all decided that we wanted the tarte tartin and it turned out to be a disaster. It was doughy and microwaved. But the good thing is that they didn't charge us for it. Shame as it did spoil the end of the night. Better know your french varietals as much of the wine is from France.
The food is fairly price but the alcohol is pricey as.
I didn't drink and shared in the overall bill which came to $100 per person.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

We had a beautiful meal here....we enjoyed a lovely Bordeaux wine and two of us had the 'tour de france' menu and the other had croquettes and fish of the day....all were just delicious....we were recommended to visit and we will be back..

Reviewed 19 July 2017

There are many restaurants on this stretch of Brunswick Street, with quite a few Italian, Greek, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Mexican, and even vegetarian versions of various cuisine. However, Bon Ap' seems the only French bistro in the neighborhood. It does have the feel of an authentic French bistro that is ubiquitous in Europe. Judging on many French-speaking patrons here (and the owner/manager is also French), it seems also a popular gathering spot for the French expatriates in Melbourne,

I was living in the neighborhood for more than a month in early 2017 and came here at least 5-7 times. Though they do serve both lunch and dinner, unfortunately for me, few of the items are vegetarian (I was in my "vegetarian period" when staying in Melbourne.) I ended up mainly came here for breakfast (or "brunch") For breakfast, they do serve great coffee and croissants (both plain and chocolate croissants). They also have some tasty sweet cakes.

In late afternoon, they have special "Happy Hour" - when ordering a glass of wine, you can get a small plate of French cheese. It is a great pre-dinner snack, after a long day's work.

Their menu overall is not too long and mostly the familiar French bistro staples ("Steak et frites," "croque monsieur" etc.). However, on some special occasions, they do serve special "prix fix" menu. Overall, this is a place I would like to come back again if I happen to have a chance to revisit Melbourne again in the future!

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Had lunch on Bastille Day with friends. The set menu with choices was extraordinary with beautiful delicious food, the wine choices were excellent and the service was impeccable and fun. We had a lovely welcome. We love the fact that the staff are French and the music and decor transport you across the world. It was perfection.

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Lunch at Bon Ap was extraordinary.
Teleported to any truly authentic
Bistro in France.. happy staff, classic menu, perfectly executed meals..a gem on Brunswick street.
Salut !