Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews the owner chef stayed for one night michelin restaurant fabulous hotel relais
Selected filters
Reviewed August 8, 2020 via mobile

We stayed for one night traveling to the south of the country, attracted by the Relais and Châteaux brand. We paid €430 for half board and this turned out to be poor value for money.

The positives:
- very pleasant and helpful staff without exception
- the pool area was nice
- our bedroom was large and we slept well.

The disappointments:
- our dinner in the bistro was mediocre and 3 courses took over two hours due to a lack of staff
- tired bathroom with stained toilet
- the WiFi was patchy and was not working for most of the time
- no milk sachets for the coffee. Staff quickly brought some fresh milk but when they explained that the sachets weren’t available because they had all gone past their use by date this didn’t really suggest an R&C venue
- the breakfast was poor. Uninspiring display, poor quality products such as brown over ripe bananas and limited stock
- the bistro was a dreadful place to have breakfast, no atmosphere at all, just the clanking of an air conditioning unit.

The town is very nondescript, just a busy through road really, and the large concrete post office across the street does nothing to enhance the view from the hotel.

We were really disappointed by our experience overall despite the plus points. The absence of any real luxury and a faded past, surprising for a R&C venue, means that we wouldn’t stay again.

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jany Gleize, Propriétaire at La Bonne Etape, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2020

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to write in three lines what you enjoyed during your experience in Château Arnoux.

A few words would have been appreciated to understand what in your point of view is « true luxury » (Meanings for the same words can be very different from a person to another, I have received lots of live reports considering as top luxury the kind of simplicity we share in our house)

Please allow me to clarify the disappointment you write is the opposite you said (you were happy and everything went well) when asked at departure.
I am awfully sorry you hid your disappointment by not saying face to face what you did not like and I sincerely do not understand the aim of this.

No milk sachets : you are right, complimentary coffee machine and coffee and tea are at your disposal, as you noticed, but we were not able to order these milky items, every contacted supplier run out of stock, and … fresh milk is not a bad substitute.

Tired bathroom : please allow me to disagree, this is opposite to the actual image of La Bonne Etape now.

Breakfast : It would have been a true help to discuss with you directly so that I can understand the difference of satisfaction between all the people who are happy with the buffet and yourself. It could have been a great source of improvement.
For the bananas, this is not a mistake, ripe bananas are better for health than unripe nice looking unripe fruit are very difficult to digest.
We choose the best quality for products according to our standards, the taste is first.

The ambiance of the bistro : it has been renewed in January and your comment not liking this is somewhat odd : I understand you may have a different taste, but I must say the word dreadful is not appropriate and forgive me to say your vision could be said to be biased.

The connection to wifi is a little bit of a surprise : we do apologize about this problem.

The occupancy of the bistro : we do work on asking the time for lunch and dinner upon reservation but still encounter some surprise with everybody arriving at the same time, discipline is not the same as it is in uk, patrons being used in your country to follow these rules for a long time.

The village itself can boast of a castle and nice little streets, the words you use to describe it are very restrictive and not very fair in my humble opinion.

I wish you very nice time in France and hope you will find better places to your taste during your staying in this lovely country you chose to spend time in.

Sorry again not to have been able to meet with your standards and for not guessing what you were looking for in our house.

Reviewed July 11, 2020 via mobile

This is our third visit to this hotel and restaurant. Their chef is amazing and he produces very good food with excellent wine pairings. We stayed in one of their newly refurbished rooms with a lovely view of the pool. We can not recommend the restaurant enough! We plan to come back in September. Thank you La Bonne Etape.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Hôtel La Bonne Etape, Directeur général at La Bonne Etape, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2020

Dear Lady,
What a warm recommendation !
Many thanks from all of us for the words you chose to describe your experience in La BonneEtape and thank you for your loyalty to our house.
We are happy to know you appreciated our newly decorated rooms.
We anticipate the pleasure to welcoming you again in September

Reviewed August 7, 2019 via mobile

En route to Courchevel, we decided to stay near Sisteron overnight to repose. We arrived mid evening and upon pulling into the drive, Cynthia from the reception met us at the car park to greet us and offer help with our luggage. Wow this is what I call on the ball - welcoming us with a warm friendly smile like we were family as if she anxiously waited for her relatives. She escorted us to the beautiful reception foyer and Charles expeditiously checked us in and arranged a table for us at their gorgeous restaurant. The food, wine and service were outstanding!!! Jany the Master Chef snd proprietor of La Bonne Etape stopped by our table as he did with other diners as well. He is personable, hospitable and most of all extremely talented. The food alone is worth a stopover. As we retreated to our room, we immediately realized that it’s a mirror image of the details and thoughtfulness found throughout the hotel. There is only one way that I can put this - It was a beautiful stopover, La Bonne Etape!

Thank you Jany and we will make another trip from Cap D’Antibes especially to stay at your hotel for a few days.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank vasiliosk760
Reviewed August 6, 2019

When I saw George Clooney's name in the visitor's book which I was idly leafing through, plus the charming cartoon he had drawn of himself with the caption "The place was an Oasis", I knew I was in a for a treat. I also saw that Novac Djokovic was here only a few months ago, with his wife. The owner, Jany Gleize, cooked for President Mitterrand on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the Revolution, at the Elysée Palace. The menu gastronomique was a tour de force. I will not insult the level of cuisine by attempting to critique it here. Room 22, which had a commanding balcony on which I drank an aperitif, was a joy. In the morning I lounged by the elegant pool. Soon there will be an outdoor restaurant. M. Gleize is adding to the place bit by but his latest acquisition is a 22 year-old sous-chef fresh from Michel Roux's stable at the Waterside Inn in Bray: it is Jane, his daughter, who will eventually take over the reins at this sturdy yet beautiful provençal mas.

Room tip: They're all lovely. I've stayed a couple of times and have seen some of the rooms.
Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed July 20, 2019

This Michelin started restaurant and its staff (as well as of the hotel) is what makes this place a pearl and defo a mast have on you list to see and try. Thanks to Jany, the chef of the LBE and the owner of the hotel for such a great job he is doing for his guests. We will be back.

Date of stay: July 2019
1  Thank Sergei T
Bonneetape, Propriétaire at La Bonne Etape, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2019

Dear Sir,
Many thanks from all of us for taking time to share your satisfaction here through this delicious comment.
We expect the sooner your next visit to welcome you again.