“Unwind=Langkawi+The Andaman”

The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Datai
Reviewed 2 October 2017

We stayed for 4 nights in The Andaman and this really made our holiday a memorable one. The private beach, the pool access room and the various restaurants just added to the whole experience.
We required a minor medical attention which was attended to swiftly and the entire stay was comfortable.
Spotting some animals added to the excitement - we saw spider monkeys, monitor lizards and a green snake in the hotel premises.
Out of the various restaurants available in the premises our favourite was Tepian Laut, which serves Malay cuisine. Here, I would strongly suggest the Crab/Mango Dessert which is a local Malay dessert - simply lipsmacking.
Jala - the seafood joint is also a must try.
Their Gelato cart adds to the charm of the big pool area. The pool bar has good beverages if the sea and the swimming pool doesnt quench your H2O needs!
A minus that I could find (if it at all qualifies as a minus) - breakfast options were limited and repetitive within 3days itself. There can definitely be an improvement here.

Go for the tours/trips organised by Junglewalla; we opted for the Mangrove safari and the swimming tour; it was a great experience. The swim in the fresh water spring in the middle of a rainforest was a refreshing one literally!

Room Tip: We opted for the Pool access rooms - which was really good. Would suggest this again.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Maya V
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistance Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear Maya V,
You have made my day! I am delighted to read your review on our TripAdvisor and regarding our resort location…and you are correct. We are surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move.
It is kind of you to compliments our resort food quality especially sour “Jala” restaurant - offering the most delicious local fish and seafood. “Jala” does have the most gorgeous location in our resort…and the very best views of the beach.
Kudos for you to experience the tour with Junglewalla and I am happy to know you have a great time with them – wonderful!
Lastly, we hope to see you again at The Andaman Resort and if I may mohd.tasriff@luxurycollection.com, my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Pros: Excellent location. Datai Beach is the best on the island. Very secluded and beautiful. We loved hanging out at the beach bar. Pool area is also great and relaxing. The staff is exceptional. Very kind especially to our 1 year old. This hotel is very family friendly for kids of all ages. F&B is good for a resort.

Cons: Unfortunately our experience with our room didn't meet our expectations. The room felt tired and old. There were numerous scruff marks on the furniture, flooring, and walls. There were also wires showing underneath the night stand and a lot of dust in the corners. We also found quite a few ants and bugs in our bathroom and closet. Our sink also didn't drain properly. We asked to get it cleared up but after maintenance came it still didn't fix the problem. Our baby had an accident on the bedding and we asked to get the bedding changed three times. Two times they just brought an extra light blanket (we were out so didn't get an opportunity to correct them) and the other time it took over 2 hours for someone to come up. By then we had to put the baby to sleep so we just left the bedding outside with the do not disturb sign out front. They then called the room numerous times (after 2 and a half hours from our request) waking the baby to ask why we had a do not disturb sign out front. Overall the room experience was not good. We did get upgraded to a sea view room so maybe the non upgraded rooms are better. Can't say.

Overall a tale of two hotels for us. Location and staff are great. We had a great and very relaxing time outside of our room. In our room was a different story however and will probably be the main reason why we will not return. I'm hoping they can get this fixed as the location and staff really are top notch.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ross S
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistance Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Dear Ross S,
Firstly I must specifically thank you for choosing our resort to spend your holiday with us and I am happy to know that our associate took good care of you and your family during the stay – just as it should be!
Regarding our resort location, you are correct and I am delighted to know you enjoyed the stay with our resort location – wonderful! The Andaman is a hidden gem at Langkawi Island and it was surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest. I am especially happy to know that you enjoyed the stay with our award winning beach and you are absolutely correct! Datai Bay was recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic and I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
I do notice on your remark about the room assigned and I apologise for this unacceptable shortcoming. I have shared this review with the head of department for further investigation with our team. Furthermore, we certainly take note that we will need to update our room condition. We have completed our resort refurbishment 2 years ago and we are committed to driving this plan forward as we are eager to provide a truly indigenous and luxurious experience to our guests.
I note your remark that you will never return to The Andaman again and I am very sad to know this. However, I do hope that you may consider revisiting The Andaman again in the future. My team and I would very much like the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort again. I accept complete responsibility for your disappointment. I will continue to reflect on the failings behind your experience at The Andaman. I remain committed to continuous improvement of our resort and our guests’ experience.
Once again, thank you for your constructive and gracious remarks. Please do not hesitate to contact me via mohd.tasriff@luxurycollection.com, I remain at your service.
Your sincerely,

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Andaman for 3 nights and loved it - we were upgraded on check in to a sea view room which was brilliant!
Unfortunately it rained every day apart from the day we went home so we got very well accustomed to the bars and restaurants in the resort! They were all great but by far our favourite was the Jala Fish Restaurant where you could choose your own freshly caught fish and the chefs would prepare it to your own personal taste - beautiful meal, probably the best fish I have ever had!!
There was loads of wildlife around to keep us entertained...monkeys, monitor lizards, eagles and crabs were just a few that we saw during our short break!
The staff were lovely and couldn't do enough for us - all in all a wonderful stay! I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistance Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Dear Magsy7,
How kind you are... I am happy to know you enjoyed the stay with our resort location - wonderful!
As you may discovered, our resort was further away from the tourist spot and it is definitely a hidden gem at this island.
Kudos to you to stay at our Luxury Seaview Room and I am sorry to know it was raining during your stay.
It is kind of you to compliments our associate where they were friendly and welcoming.
Lastly, thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. Feel free to contact me via mohd.tasriff@luxurycollection.com if I can be of your assistance in person. My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Day five of our stay at The Andaman and the setting is truely breathtaking! The pristine beach is beautiful, the rainforest is literally on your door step when you step outside! The pool area, pathways and garden beds are spotless and constantly maintained. Dinner at sunset at Tepian Luat is to be remembered forever. Buffet breakfast is perhaps the best we have ever had, champagne and duck breasts on the menu. The greatest asset of The Andaman is the staff. They are all genuinely friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Thank you Chef Sankran for sharing your dosa recipe with me. We are looking forward to our massages at the Spa today! We will return to once again experience the magic of this amazing place! Thank you The Andaman.

Room Tip: deluxe rainforest for close interaction with wildlife
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistance Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear NadineRonB,
You have made my day! Thank you for your review on our TripAdvisor and choose our resort for you current stay at the magical island – wonderful! It is kind of you to compliments our associate where they are friendly and took good care of you during the stay – just as it should be.
Thank you for your warm review towards our breakfast at “The Restaurant”…I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the variety choice of foods. We try to please all palates and preferences.
Kudos to you to experience our spa treatments at our “V Botanical Spa”…it is set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay and you definitely will enjoy the treatment with us – just beautiful!
Please do not hesitate to contact me via mohd.tasriff@luxurycollection.com if I can be of your assistance in person during your stay and enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Very dissapointed. Agree with most of Anne H from Perth' review recently. We were there around the same time. Stayed 14 nights as a couple. Arrival process was good but belied most of what followed. The exception being food and beverage services which were good, thanks very especially to the competences of frontline staff and chefs, and these folk kept our disappointments at bay. Most background upper management staff and services were noticeable by their absence. Complained strongly on day 9 and received some improvements, though the expected well-oiled machine of an established 24 year old, luxury resort was missing. Prices for food, drink and spa were bloated compared with the Danna, a more fitting 5* hotel nearby, where we dined one night at a true fine dining room. The Danna also had a more extensive and refined a la carte menu, and much greater selection of wines with some almost half the price of the Andaman's.
There were a lot of suggestions by staff that we may like to buy more of this or that and this constant pitch did become irritating.
They do have a nice and somewhat unique coral nursery and lab, together with jungle walks exploring wildlife and these seemed far less promoted than their spa. Their wonderful beach is the best on Langkawi shared with the Datai hotel normally, but the Datai will be closed for a long time - shame.
The resort is in serious need of a significant make-over. Some recent room redecorating has been done but is superficial as aircon in room 446 struggled to cool adequately, power sockets were sparse with the hotel using multi-adapters to cope with its plugs. No USB sockets. Bathroom dated and dark. The buildings generally reflected the room's qualities.

Room Tip: Highest rooms 441-448 have the best sea views and have most monkey proofness.
1  Thank Andy M

Dear Andy M,
Firstly, please allow me to thank you as well for taking the time to write us such a comprehensive and honest review on Trip Advisor.
I have read through each and every one of your remarks and I have to say while I am glad that there are ‘hits’ that you were pleased with, I am terribly disappointed to hear about all the ‘misses’ that you have experienced. It is never a pleasure to know that we disappointed a guest but I am always grateful for constructive feedback so that we may learn and improve.
We do notice on your remark towards our food quality and our pricing issue. I had always felt that our prices were in line with other similar hotels on the island as we do monitor our prices all the time. However, I am sorry that if it was a cause of disappointment… and I will continue to check because it’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests.
I am grateful for your review towards our Coral Nursery. We opened the Andaman Coral Nursery few years ago, as well as a rich marine home, and it also serves as a venue to grow baby corals to help populate the reef at our bay. Regarding our resort location, you are correct! The Andaman is surrounded by a 10 million year old rainforest… and because so many of our trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills etc) live in perfect peace together (most days!).
Furthermore, I do notice on your comment about the need for updating our room setting. We have completed our resort refurbishment last year and we are committed to driving this plan forward and we will as we are eager to provide a truly indigenous and luxurious experience to our guests.
Your sincerely,

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Returning after 10 years to my wife's favourite hotel, the Andaman clearly had a lot to live up to. It retains its magical sense of place, on a fantastic secluded beach, sympathetically built into the rainforest which stretches down to the sea. Loads of wildlife which was great and good to see the hotel active in promoting this, with guided nature walks and coral reef nurseries.
Staff were great and the food very good.
More families with kids than we previously experienced. Restaurants all were good, but seemed to lack a special something we'd found previously visiting places like the Gulai House. Had a great day golfing at the nearby Els Club. And visited the nearby (25 minutes) Bon Ton restaurant which continued to excel in being different.
Still an unbeatable location.

Room Tip: High rainforest rooms offer views into the canapy. All good

Dear Alatbish2,
Welcome back to The Andaman! I am happy to know you and your wife come back here after 10 years and you do enjoy the vacation with our resort location and you are correct! We are surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest – and further away from the main touristic areas. We think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical and certainly a little corner for this island.
Furthermore, I am thrilled to know you have a great experience at The Els Club that only 5 min drive from our resort and the location is just stunning!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback and I do hope that we may welcome you again in the future. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via mohd.tasriff@luxurycollection.com, my team and I remain at your service.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

We just left The Andaman today and I truly could've stayed for weeks. The rainforest with all of the beautiful animals, the amazing beach, lovely staff and great food - all made this an unforgettable week! We will be back again. No need to leave the resort, they really have thought of everything here!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistance Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Dear Kylie E,
How kind you are…thank you for your review and I am happy to know that you and your partner enjoyed the stay with our natural environment.
As you discovered, we are surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest – and further away from the main touristic areas. If guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …this is definitely a little paradise in Langkawi Island. I do agree with your comment our resort location and it is truly a hidden gem at Langkawi – wonderful!
Lastly, I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. Next time, we hope that you will come for a longer stay! If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via mohd.tasriff@luxurycollection.com, my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.
With warm regards
Executive Assistance Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Datai
6.9 km away
The St. Regis Langkawi
#4 of 104 in Langkawi
0.9 km away
The Datai Langkawi

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!