“Nice hotel, but charges more than it is worth”

The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Datai
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We wanted to visit Langkawi again, but the Datai Hotel where we had previously stayed was closed for a major renovation, so because we liked the location, we were advised by Kuoni to try The Andaman.

When we arrived, we loved the location of the hotel, but were a little dismayed at the condition of the room, which is probably in need of some renovation work.

On the first night, because our hire car was not due until the next morning, we chose to eat in the Restaurant. We were not too hungry, so my wife chose a pizza, and I had a local beef dish, washed down with a glass of red wine and a couple of beers.

The pizza was bland, and the beef and noodles were only average, but the bill of 303RM (around £60) was a bit pricey for the meal. We ate out the remaining nights.

The staff were brilliant, and one has to admire the conservation work being carried out which is a compliment to the hotel

The day before we checked out I enquired if we could stay in the room beyond the midday check out time until around 5.30 pm, and was told that the charge would be 450RM which I queried, and which would be passed on to the supervisor, however I was told that the alternative would be to store the luggage and shower and change in the block near the pool area. I declined the offer and agreed to pay.

The next day around 1.30pm we returned to our room, and found that the keycard had been cancelled and we were unable to get into our room, which meant a trek to reception to have the card re-booted. I complained that I was not happy that I was being charged for the room, but was unable to go into it, at which point to his credi, the supervisor advised me that the fee would be cancelled, for which I was grateful.

Overall, nice hotel, in a brilliant position, but ready for some upgrading work, and a review of it's charges

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Derek B
AndamanLangkawi, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Derek B,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay at Langkawi Island and thank you for your time to share this experience with us – appreciate.
I am delighted to know you enjoyed the stay with our resort location and if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …this is definitely a little paradise in Langkawi Island.
Regarding the room you were assigned, I do acknowledge your comment regarding the need for updating of our rooms and your experience about the late check-out. I am sorry that if it was a cause of disappointment. We have completed our resort refurbishment few years ago and we are committed to driving this plan forward and we will as we are eager to provide a truly indigenous and luxurious experience to our guests.
Furthermore, I do acknowledge your remarks about our food quality and pricing issue. I had always felt that our prices were in line with other similar hotels on the island as we do monitor our prices all the time. However, I am sorry that if it was a cause of disappointment… and I will continue to check because it’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests.
We have shared your review with our team at our daily briefing meeting. I confess that none of us took any pleasure or pride in reading and reviewing the issues that you describe. Please accept my sincere apologies for not delivering expected services.
Once again, thank you again for the candor of your comment, I do hope that this does deter you from returning and we definitely will show our improvement for your return stay. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via Carlos.Tarrero@luxurycollection.com, my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We wanted a quick weekend getaway with my kids. While I have been to Langkawi a number of times it was my first at Andaman. Our only regret is not having more time here and have promised the kids to come back for longer stay. From the pool, lovely beach and activities to keep everyone entertained- the lovely staff go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Do note October can be rainy In Langkawi so you may have some inside time but it doesn’t usually stay all day if it rains

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear Kerri L,
How kind you are… I am delighted to know you and your family has a great time at The Andaman Resort and thank you for your review on our TripAdvisor.
I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed the stay with our award winning beach and you are absolutely correct! Datai Bay was recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic and I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia! Furthermore, I am especially happy to know that you have explored our resort activities and you enjoyed – wonderful!
Last but not least, thank you for your review to compliments our associate and glad to know they were friendly and helpful. Next time, we hope that you will come for a longer stay! If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via Carlos.Tarrero@luxurycollection.com, my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed in this hotel in September 2017 with the family.Nishan from the restaurant rendered us a excellent service. Also Ajay sent us my husbands sunglasses we left at the restaurant. Hats off to his trustworthiness . My daughter loved snorkelling tour. View from the room was amazing. Highly recommended. Since hotel was fully booked so we couldn't stay more than one night. Definitely we will visit this beautiful piece of architecture again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Dear IsharaM15,
I am thrilled to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay at The Andaman with our room that you were comfortable – wonderful!
It is kind of you to compliments our associate especially Ajay and Nishan… I have passed to message to him and you definitely made his day. Furthermore, I am especially happy to know that your daughter enjoyed the Coral Snorkeling and happy to know your daughter has a great time with our Coral Nursery Team. Our team runs a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system. We do encourage guest to participate in these activities and it is also a nice area for coral snorkeling as you are able to see all the beautiful creatures.
Lastly, I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. Next time, we hope that you will come for a longer stay! If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via Carlos.Tarrero@luxurycollection.com, my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.
With warm regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2017

My family and I have stayed at the Andaman Resort numerous times. It is our favourite go-to resort! Whenever we plan a trip it inevitably ends up being at the Andaman. We are from Canada, and the though the journey is long, as soon as we land at the Langkawi Airport we are instantly excited and rejuvenated! The Spa treatments are just amazing!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank sjm357

Dear Sjm357,
Welcome back home! I am happy to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with our resort location and thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
Kudos for you to experience our spa and I am happy you have a great spa treatment with us.. wonderful!
It is kind of you to compliments our associate and I am happy to know they were friendly and took good care of you – just as it should be!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback…and my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via Carlos.Tarrero@luxurycollection.com.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

What a fabulous hotel. We stayed at the Andaman with our two daughters. Interconnecting rooms were no problem and our rooms shared a 'swim up pool'. The hotel is set in the most amazing location, surrounded by rain-forest, overlooking the Datai Bay.
Friendly staff, private beach, great food, choice of bars and restaurants - whats not to like. The fish restaurant 'Jala', where you choose your fish from the counter, was our favourite.
The environmental conservation element plays a large part in the hotel philosophy and is one of the reasons we chose the Andaman.
What a shame that it is so far from the UK, otherwise we be going again very soon!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank James K
AndamanLangkawi, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear James K,
I am happy to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with our resort location and thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed the stay with our Luxury Pool Access room. These rooms are getting super guest comments with their exclusive and private use access to the Rainforest swimming pools.
Regarding our resort location, I would certainly agree with you… surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest – and further away from the main touristic areas. Notwithstanding that, Datai Bay recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback…and next time, we hope that you will come for a longer stay! My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via Carlos.Tarrero@luxurycollection.com.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

I was treated like royalty from the minute I stepped into this lovely resort. I was on a weekend from KL between two weeks of work so on my own for some R&R. As a Platinum member I was welcomed by the GM who made it his mission to make sure I was comfortable and looked after. I appreciated this a great deal. I was upgraded to a sea view room and had four wonderful days relaxing on the beautiful unspoilt beach. The food in the restaurants is authentic and delicious and the service throughout was impeccable.
On the downside: the hotel needs a refurb and the gardens need some more attention but if the service is good and the rate is reasonable this doesn’t seem to matter so much. I have a feeling the new GM is going to have quite an impact on this hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Dear Smatty68,
It was our pleasure to welcome SPG Platinum Member to our resort…and kudos for you to experience the stay with our Luxury Seaview Rooms, with a full length window and offers stunning views of Datai Bay and quite transforms the room – just wonderful!
Thank you for your compliments toward our food quality and I am happy to know you enjoyed the dining experience with us – wonderful!
Furthermore, I do notice on your comment about the need for updating our resort setting. We have completed our resort refurbishment last year and we are committed to driving this plan forward and we will as we are eager to provide a truly indigenous and luxurious experience to our guests.
Once again, it was my pleasure to meet you personally and thank you for your comprehensive review on our TripAdvisor. I do hope that we may welcome you again in the future. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via Carlos.Tarrero@luxurycollection.com, my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Fantastic stay in the hotel, despite its a little rustic.

I must say that the service that I have received in this hotel has been excellent !

We had an incident on Day 1 of our stay but I must say very special thx to Mr. Ravi (from the Restaurant) who was quick in his service recovery. Well done !

Would certainly be back again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear Serendipity3885,
How kind you are… I am thrilled to know you and your family enjoyed the stay with us, and glad to know our associate took good care of you during the stay – just as it should be!
I am sorry to hear your recent experience…however I am delighted to know our associate solve it for you, and it is kind of you to compliments our associate especially Ravi for his great service to you. I have passed your message to him and you definitely made his day, thank you!
Carlos Tarrero

Also consider these accommodations in or near Datai
6.9 km away
The St. Regis Langkawi
#4 of 104 in Langkawi
0.9 km away
The Datai Langkawi

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!