All reviewsthe pubattic roomwarm atmospherelog fireexcellent value for moneyfloor boardsold englishvisit bathmy partnerold buildingvaried menusunday eveningeggs benedictplenty of hot waterfish and chipsstayed for nightsbeautiful village
Reviewed October 21, 2015

Traditional pub/hotel right in the heart of the village. Booking in was ok. Our room was clean and tidy, with furniture in keeping with age of hotel. Large bathroom with stand-in-shower. Had a meal in hotel restaurant in evening but the service was extremely slow and limited choices (as they had run out of a number of dishes). Buffet breakfast (both hot and cold) extremely good

Room Tip: If Sunday's are anything to go by, if you want to eat - eat early before the rush
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Public Relations Manager at The Woolpack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2015

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review we appreciate your feedback.

Kind Regards, Becky Ward.

Reviewed October 12, 2015

Stayed at a nearby B&B and had our evening meal at The Woolpack. After some time deliberating what to have to eat we decided on a mixed grill only to be told it was "off the menu". My husband settled for a steak and ale pie but they didn't have any. We settled on burgers which was fine then ordered dessert - panna cotta - you guessed, "we don't have any"! Another diner frustratingly passed the menu to the waitress and asked, after three choices were turned down, to point out what they did have! The food in itself was nice but it was annoying that few dishes were actually available.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here 2nd-4th oct and had a plesent stay. We was in the attic, which was fairly spacious, comfty bed and good tea/coffee facilities. Was clean but couldve done with that tiny bit extra however not complaining. Shower was abit odd because of how low the ceiling stooped over the bath however still usable. As i said overall a very enjoyable stay. Didnt eat dinners here however the breakfast may need a little bit more organisation, first day no toast offered and second day my sausage was missing of my english breakfast. Food however tasted nice and there was a variety of pastries, cereals, fruit and juices on offer. As well as tea and coffee. On my paperwork when we booked, also said there was dvd/cd player facilities however didnt see these in the room?? We would definitely stay again.. and reccommend to others as the building itself is full of character.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Public Relations Manager at The Woolpack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us, I am pleased to see that you had a pleasant stay.

We hope you can consider us again in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2015 via mobile

We had a twin room on the top floor. The room was large, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom has a serious mould problem which was very unpleasant. Also one of the few places I've stayed where the service has been lacking... Normally I wouldn't comment on service however both at check in and breakfast we were left disappointed. Good for one night, but I would not return.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Old_English_Inns99, Public Relations Manager at The Woolpack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2015

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for review, I am very sorry that our service wasn't up to standards during your stay. I will inform the team so we can work on this.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed September 30, 2015

My wife and I visited on a bargain-break deal with Old English Inns for a Friday and Saturday night package. First impressions on arrival were very positive, although the initial checking-in process was a little fraught because we arrived in the middle of the evening service. Our room was large and comfortable with all the usual facilities one would expect of a country hotel.

As time was getting on we opted to eat in the restaurant and that’s where things went downhill. The décor of the dining room, a conservatory tacked onto the back of the original building was like stepping back into a 1960’s style working men’s club. This room is definitely not in sympathy with its 15th century parent and to be quite honest it was an eyesore.

The menu selection was unimaginative and offered a basic selection of fried, roasted or grilled meat or fish. To be fair there was an attempt to offer a range of steaks with a choice of toppings, but I opted for a gammon which arrived unceremoniously pale accompanied by peas and rather overcooked chips.
After an average breakfast with adequate service, we decided to dine in our room on the second night and snacked out on supermarket food we bought in Frome. This was washed down by some very good Wiltshire ale from the bar which was obviously popular and well attended.

I would absolutely recommend the accommodation, but the food leaves a lot to be desired, unless you’re looking for bar snack or basic pub grub. Worth a visit for a drink and a taster, but do look into the restaurant, it’s awful. You’ll feel much more at home in the bar.

Room Tip: Had a front facing room with views of the HIgh Street
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you review regarding your stay with us back in March.

I am very pleased to see you were happy with your accomodation, however I am very sorry that our food may not have been up to standards, I will inform the rest of the team so we can work on solving the issues arised.