See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 1, 2015

I felt at home from the moment I arrived. I thought the pictures on the website had prepared me for what I could expect from the location, the view and the atmosphere. However I must admit I gasped in pleasant surprise at the sight of La Montagnola. Something I experienced every single day of my stay, for the view of the sky and lake would bring on something new every morning. From incredibly colourful sunrises greeted by the bluest of skies to a fog blanketed lake that slowly gets uncovered by the warm rays of the Sun. The scent of the morning dew, the warmth of the midday Sun and a the brisk and refreshing breeze of the late September and early October nights. That was the beautifully scrumptious cake I got served daily. What made it all complete for me was the warm, attentive, sincere, charming, yet unobtrusive welcome, attention and care I received from the owners. I felt so at home; because that is what La Montagnola is to them and that's how it felt to me. That is what I liked the most. The house is beautiful, tastefully decorated and the rooms are spacious, comfortable and very clean. The food, prepared with local produce, was beautiful. The daily yoga sessions where fantastic! The yoga teachers were very good and inspiring and so were the fellow participants. I have gained a new group of friends. The daily hikes to the nearby villages and the lake where very enjoyable and invigorating. As where the trips to the picturesque towns a little further away (having a car at your disposition is recommendable). What did I like the least? Having to leave! Though I left feeling happy to have met them and to have spent time at their lovely home and retreat, I also felt a little sad. Because it was like leaving behind good old friends. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank M B
Reviewed December 1, 2015

The first thing that hits you when you arrive here is the silence. The second is the expanse of the view over Europe's largest volcanic crater lake. And then once you settle in, there is so much to hear. Crickets. A light wind. Your footsteps approaching on a gravel path. There is so much to see. The ever changing light. Cloud formations. Stars. Flowers. Vines. An herb garden. Endless tendrils of rosemary. A procession of busy ants running up and down a tree. And the spectacular rise of the moon every clear night, emerging as a bright pink-orange visual bang over the far side of the lake. Every night we look for it. We can't miss out on it.

There is so much to do. A walk around the property. A short drive for a long lunch at a near by scenic village. Go for a swim. Sample and take in this beautiful, serene, 5-star+ experience that you've lucked into simply because Sabine and Stefan have such exquisite taste. You'll find your favorite spots on this property. The swing or the hammock or the wrought iron picnic tables with footrests. You'll log hours by the pool, under an umbrella, or as we did, camped out under the cabana.

The heat here is restorative but not punishing. The shade is temperate, the breezes are velvety and all are available to you all the time. Who needs a sauna with 10 different rooms when every sensory experience can be felt in nature at a place like this? All you have to do is hear it, feel it, see it, wait for it to find you.

And at the end of the day (or the beginning, or middle) you can retreat to your generous room, enjoy the huge showers (with great water pressure), the soft lighting, welcoming bathtub, and at the end of the day (or middle or beginning) collapse into a comfortable bed.

There is so much to think about. It's amazing what your mind will choose to think about when you aren't required to think about anything. Beyond the view, beyond the silence, this is the best thing La Montagnola has to offer--a 360 degree perspective you can only see behind closed eyes.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple