“Wonderful relaxing holiday”

The Zuri White Sands Goa Resort & Casino
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Varca
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We have just returned from a 28 night stay at the Zuri White Sands. We visited last year and we decided to try again this year, and we were not disappointed. There are two pools to relax around, both really lovely pools with plenty of vacant sunbeds to choose from.

The rooms are quite large and provide everything you could need, including a really large shower area with plenty of storage space for toiletries.

We only had bed and breakfast so cannot comment on lunch or evening meals, but we can say the breakfast caters for all tastes. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the 'egg maker' always provides a 'special' egg for you. The coffee boys quickly recognise how you like your tea and coffee, even remembering I like my tea with my cooked breakfast, not with my cereal, so would provide 3 coffees "and a tea later".

There is a Gym, Spa and Beautician providing a whole range of treatments which are provided by extremely friendly staff.

The Staff who do not have direct contact with you, still greet you with a Good Morning Mam as they pass through the grounds.

The client service personnel are very concerned that your holiday is providing you with all that you need, and telephone regularly so ensure your every need is catered for.

The beaches in Goa are wonderful and the Zuri is positioned by Varca Beach so you can enjoy long walks splashing in the sea.

We enjoyed ourholiday so much that we have already booked for next year.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Zuri White Sands Goa Resort & Casino

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed for 7 nights to rest after the Golden Triangle tour, along with one other of our tour party.
Plus Points
Stunningly laid out, massive grounds, fantastic pools and comfy pool beds, very pretty to the eye, right on the wonderful beach.
Rooms were spacious, nice balconies, quiet, all the amenties you need for a peaceful stay.
The staff were very friendly (without exception) and just wanted to help and make our stay important.
Defintely a 4/5 star hotel with the wow factor.

Negative points
We fell ill, and so did our travelling comanion. We were all fine when we arrived, ate exclusively in the hotel (buffet style) but on the 3rd day (4th day for our friend) contracted D & V and bad stomach cramps. We are still ill 4 days after returning and the experience ruined what would otherwise have been a great stay. The food was often tepid (not good in a tropical climate) and were they turned over frequently enough? We can draw no other conclusion other than the hotel gave us food poisoning. We all three are very seasoned travellers to the tropics, love spicy food, have eaten in beach shacks and roadside stalls - nothing, not even diarrhea, zip. We frequently gel our hands - all the right things. It has to be poor food hygiene and it makes us very cross that they don't seem to see it or just dismiss us a "europeans" with delicate stomachs - rubbish!!
Next minus point is that the hotel, as with all those in the South are remote, and although there are a few restaurants outside, in the main you will need a taxi to get anywhere. They have a monopoly and you will pay through the nose. Tip - if you are staying for more than a week, take one of the rip off taxis one way to Colva Beach, grab the services of a fair priced local for the return and get his phone number for other trips.

Room Tip: They all looked pretty goo to us.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
ZuriHotels, Manager at The Zuri White Sands Goa Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and thank you for appreciating the services of our resort. We are very sorry that you were ill during your vacation and understand how unpleasant it must have been for you. We wish to state that we completely understand that food is a very sensitive issue and most of our guests are international travelers. Our process in handling food, right from the selection, receiving, storing, handling, cooking and serving are all 100% compliant to international standards (HACCP). In the month of March 2012 till date, we have served 16347 meals in our restaurants and there were no cases of food poisoning. We sincerely wish it had not happened to you as we understand how much it must have affected your vacation.
This is just to reassure you that at Zuri we spare no process or effort to ensure safety and health of our guests. Thank you once again for patronizing us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards
Management

Reviewed 25 March 2012

This hotel, which was once owned by Radisson is now known as Zuri White Sands. The resort is huge and provides all luxuries.
Service: Their service was prompt. We had gone there with our company group. They tried their best to provide early check in to as much people as they could.
Rooms: We stayed in a suite, and this was one of the best room I have ever stayed in! 2 big rooms. LCD TV in both rooms. Clean and comfortable beds with nice pillows. Lots of other things. The room was overlooking their swimming pool on once side and garden on the other side.Really exceptional view.
Food: The food was good. (although it could have been better by their standards). Breakfast spread was good with lots of variety.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We (a couple in our early 30's) stayed here for a week in March 2012. Overall the resort is fantastic - exceptional meandering pool; spacious well kept gardens; close proximity to the beach; decent rooms; good facilities; friendly staff and great food.

We did have a couple of annoying issues which prevented this being a 5 star review. Our sheets weren't changed and I had to insist on this a number of times before they eventually gave us clean sheets. There are some snagging issues which would really improve the resort - the main thing being the 'moat' around the hotel being out of commission (although this is just a aesthetic point it does let the appearance of the hotel down considerably).

The staff are on the whole very friendly and we found them both helpful and attentive. The food and drink is over-priced compared to the surrounding venues but I guess this is to be expected.

The taxi issue is a genuine problem. Although the hotel is pleasantly tucked away in a secluded area in South Goa the taxi cartel clearly exploit this and they must be in cahoots with the resort - which is a shame. It does make this resort not a place to stay if you want to go exploring the region as it is not cheap to travel round. If you are happy to stay relatively local then this shouldn't be a problem.

The only real let down with the whole resort is the Casino - which is a complete shambles. If this was in the UK I'm sure they would be forced to close it down under trades description. It's a horrible area of an otherwise great resort and offers only roulette. They should either completely revamp this area and set it up properly or just close it down.

On the whole I wouldn't hesitate recommending this as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Pool side terrace rooms have direct access to the pool from french windows.
3  Thank Reza G
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I went to Goa this last January for a family vacation....Stayed in 3 hotels over a period of 1 week (North Goa as well as South Goa). Before this trip I have always stayed in North Goa due to the obvious reasons....I was a bit cynical to move down south of Goa and was worried I might get bored since there isn't much to do there. I was pleasantly surprised when I reached Zuri White Sands though and hence the review...

Caution: If you are planning a trip to Goa for partying or sight seeing than this is not the place for you. Stick to North side which is much more accessible and you can rent bike/car to commute.

Now to begin the review: Its a world in itself and honestly I didn't feel the need to venture out of the hotel even once. Its a huge property and they have golf carts kinda thingy to take you around..... and wait till you see the pool!!!!

Its has a lovely white sand private beach, where you can play beach sports or have a nice dinner arranged. Or in my case, I saw a beautiful wedding happening there. Just to be clear I am not recommending this hotel to honeymooners. You can get married here but then go for your honeymoon somewhere fancier :)

The place has 4-5 restaurants - sea food, Indian, Chinese, continental and Italian- and a pub which will cater to most of the guest needs.

The casino is a bit sad...not many slot machine and tables...although its usually crowded at nights. I saw a older American couple win big on a slot machine and I myself a neat pile on a roulette table :)

Rooms are not as luxurious as I expected them to be but they open into a huge garden or pool side, depending on what you request for. Room Service is excellent and their staff is really professional.

I wont comment on the food so much, since I am a vegetarian (food is a tad overpriced given the fact that what I ordered wasn't that nice and I had to send it back). The breakfast buffet has a good spread for both vegans and non-vegetarians.

Other than the above, the hotel also has a beauty salon, gym, children day care for parents, Spa etc. They also do some daily activities and sports such as archery, pool side games, painting competition etc to keep their guests occupied...

The cons: Not many places for sight seeing, too far for most of the touristy areas, far from airport (good if you are a napper)

All in all, its a really nice hotel to unwind and relax as oppose to the hotels in North Goa.

Room Tip: You can go for a room which either opens into a garden or pool.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank traveller t
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Firstly let me state that i was very pleased with the White Sands. We actually got married there and were very pleased with the property, rooms, service and the food.

However i feel it necessary to warn people how the taxi's work. Taxi's from outside the area are not allowed to do pick ups in the area. Which means if you want to go anywhere you have to pay what they ask. And they can say they have a fixed rate but a taxi driver dropped his rate from 1800INR to 500INR when we said no.

I understand they are trying to make a living but we had such a bad experience the day after the wedding. We wanted to do a day tour to a spice plantation with some of our guests (a group of 25) so our wedding planner organized us a bus. As they were aware of problems the taxi drivers can cause they hired a local bus and driver, and got permission from the taxi organization. On the day itself, a bunch of ruthless taxi union hooligans blocked the bus from getting to the hotel, threatened the bus driver and the tour guide and made the bus turn around. We were all witness to this. When my brother asked them what was going on he was also threatened. The event manager of the White Sands was also present but stood by helplessly. I myself went to them to try and reason with hoping that they would show some humanity but got nothing! Our day was ruined !!!
The reason i felt the need to post this is hopefully the hotels in this area realize something has to be done about this type of unacceptable bullying!!!
I don't think it is fair to be forced to use a service just because it it the only one available. A taxi from the north of goa to the south for 10 people cost us 1500INR; the same distance in the other direction cost us 1900INR for 4 people! How is this acceptable!
Hence i am going to rate what would have been a 5 star rating a 1 in the hope that someone will do something!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Vrtw
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The staff at the resort was outstanding..Me and wife were vegeterians and Chef Emidio was superb in creating a Veg platter outside the menu and honestly that was outstanding !!

These guys were exceptional in providing extraordinary customer service..Elaine Fernandes , Bhavna and Sulekha were all extremely coutrteous in making this short trip a memorable one. I have been to various resorts in Goa and have been coming to Goa for the past 7 years and this is the best service I found..

The property is nice and the restaurants specially Blue Lagoon near the pool is nice for all those die hard Italian foodies..

3  Thank Sandeep S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varca
1.8 km away
7.7 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Goa
Holiday Inn Resort Goa
#5 of 10 in Cavelossim

Been to The Zuri White Sands Goa Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!