The hotel desperately needs to hire someone with local knowledge.
Owned by someone in Florida and managed by a Canadian who just arrived in Costa Rica in October, the hotel offers little beyond a small clean room on the small landscaped lot.
While she is certainly enthusiastic and talkative, (read… “clingy”), the Canadian manager admitted that her knowledge of the area was limited to the few weeks she had been there and she was learning slowly since she did not speak Spanish. We could have used some local guidance (recommended restaurants, tours, directions, etc…) but she was unable to help or ended up providing incorrect information.
Small room? Two people will not be able to pass by the end of the bed at the same time.
They made the most of the small lot that the hotel is on. Nice tile walkways and a small, well-designed pool front a covered eating area. Unfortunately the covered eating area is just a few feet away from the road. We were joined for breakfast on one morning by a small car that sat and idled exhaust and noise into the area for quite some time. At a minimum there is a pretty constant stream of traffic buzzing by only a few feet away from the dining area.
There is no view from the hotel but it is conveniently located a short walk (down a steep hill) to the beach.
Breakfast is a choice of eggs or French toast along with fruit and bacon.
Of the three hotels we stayed at while in Costa Rica, Hotel Esperanza was the least value for the money. With similar price ranges at other hotels, we had large rooms with excellent views, and helpful bilingual staff with great local knowledge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a family oriented hotel, welcoming singles, couples, wedding parties, families, children, and handicap guests. Being a small hotel of 7 rooms we offer a warm family atmosphere with the added bonus of having the amenities of the larger hotels. In 2007 we accomplished a total remodel including all guestrooms with European tiles and exotic Mahogany and Cedar woods throughout. The hotel also features the addition of a new custom pool and spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Travelocity.ca so you can book your Hotel Esperanza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esperanza Hotel Playa Samara
- Hotel Esperanza Costa Rica/Guanacaste