All reviews park restaurant equestrian centre michelin star hydrotherapy pool afternoon tea main restaurant the main house drawing room spa building cookery school horse riding amazing spa japanese salt park room amazing grounds outdoor jacuzzi spa treatments
Reviewed October 28, 2018 via mobile

Although only a one night stay, it was a most enjoyable experience.

Welcome was efficient but receptionist became more engaging as we were shown to our room which was comfortable and spotlessly clean.

Nice touches such as anniversary card and chocolates were in the room on arrival.

Quick change for dinner and what an experience it was. Taster menu and wines to match ordered (prefer to trust the sommelier with this and the pairings did not disappoint).

Every course was a treat (kalamansi lime pre dessert was amazing) and the service was friendly and professional. Our wine waiter was excellent and if all the waiting staff were as engaging as him, it would have been perfect.

No time for spa so unfortunately can’t comment on this aspect but we did look around in the morning and were so impressed with this area and brasserie that we are hoping to return for a 2 night stay in the future.

Thank you to all at Lucknam Park for a memorable anniversary celebration.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Claire R, Managing Director at Lucknam Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear marky75
Thank you for fantastic review and I am delighted that your stay at Lucknam Park helped make your wedding anniversary a memorable one. It really is a special place for celebrating landmark moments.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay when you will be able to enjoy all the facilities. You mentioned that you are hoping to return for 2 nights - please take a look at our website as there is a very special offer of 3 nights for the price of 2 until the end of March 2019...!

Reviewed October 27, 2018

We stayed at Lucknam Park a month ago for our honeymoon (we stayed Monday 24th Sep 2018 to Wednesday 26th Sep 2018). The greeting at the reception was not the warmest, as the staff bustled around us and finally found the time to check us in. We mentioned we were on our honeymoon however the receptionist appeared disinterested. Fine. We were led to our room which was also fine but what I would describe as dreary and slightly dated.

We walked down to the reception to enquire as to what activities we could do (i.e. clay pigeon shooting, horse back riding) and the person at reception looked surprised we had asked and then had to go away and ask another member of staff what was on offer. The second member of staff mentioned the clay pigeon shooting was circa £300 which felt unreasonable, and then when I enquired as to the horse riding started reciting technical terms at me which, having not really tried it before (who knows if there was a beginners lesson?), we decided to decline also.

Deciding that it was probably going to be all too hard to do an activity we wandered to the Brasserie. The Brasserie described itself as modern, but I would say it is also dated. It was a few hours before dinner so the only light bites on offer were some sandwiches which were average and more or less stale. We wandered back to our room and got ready for dinner. The dinner at the Brasserie was nice enough and they provided a glass of bubbly on the house to congratulate us on our marriage.

The next day, despite being underwhelmed, we thought a morning at the spa would lift our spirits. The photos on the website looked amazing so we had high hopes. When we got there a lot of the areas were closed off. There was scaffolding, the outside area was closed, the hot tub didn't work, there was rubble everywhere and to top everything off there was noisy construction taking place - needless to say I was very annoyed that we hadn't been told this. We obviously would have gone somewhere else if we knew this would happen. I said something to the spa reception and they acknowledged that the place was under construction and that they would see what they could do, but then did nothing.

We went for afternoon tea which was pleasant enough however there were flies buzzing everywhere in the room (one was hanging from the roof - I should have taken a picture), the staff who served us the afternoon tea however were very sweet.

The next day when we checked out, the reception staff asked if we had a nice stay and we said no, because the spa was in a state (the main reason we came to Lucknam Park) and they again acknowledged that there was construction but again offered nothing in terms of a discount or even an apology! As stated, It was our honeymoon, we would have gone somewhere else. I would also mention there was a service charge attached to everything (including drinks/snacks ordered at the bar and not part of the restaurant) so I guess the hotel made there money back on any gratuities provided to us (i.e. the bubbly).

In summary, the experience wasn't pleasant and I was unhappy by the lack of interest (borderline rudeness) from a lot (not all) the staff. Customer service is such an easy thing to get right, yet they got it wrong. The Spa was not nice (see pictures - not like the photos on the website). Obviously I would not recommend this hotel, and I am surprised by some of the good reviews I have seen.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MiBLPr

Dear MiBLPr

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive and detailed review. I am sincerely disappointed that we did not meet your expectations - particularly for a stay as special as a honeymoon. For this I am truly sorry and I only wish that your issues had been flagged up during your stay so that either myself or the team could have tried to rescue the situation and ensure that your stay was a memorable one for all the right reasons.

It was very disappointing to read that you had some issues with aspects of the service as we pride ourselves on being a warm and friendly team. It was clear there was a lack of attention to detail during your stay. Some of the points that you mention highlight a need for better staff training, notably with regard to the activities. I was embarrassed to read that that some of the interaction with staff came across as 'borderline rudeness' which is unacceptable and your comments have been reviewed with the team.

At very short notice we had to carry out a very significant repair to the Hydrotherapy Pool which had developed a huge leak. It would not be in our interest to hide this from guests - I am just extremely sorry that this was not communicated to you before you arrived, as we had a clear plan in place to inform all arriving guests.

In line with most other hotels, we decided to introduce a service charge a few months ago which is applied to all food and beverage service. It is a discretionary charge which we would have removed immediately if requested.

Given your experience, I can understand why you expressed surprise at some of the good reviews posted. In an effort to restore your confidence, I would like to offer you something special for a return visit - I will contact you separately regarding this.

Thank you again for your feedback which we very much appreciate.

Reviewed October 26, 2018

it doesn't get much better than Lucknam Park which is set in such beautiful grounds.
such a lovely country life & what super staff.
lunch at the restaurant was unbelievable.
can't complain about this beautiful establishment.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Claire R, Managing Director at Lucknam Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear WiltshireEats

How rewarding for both myself and the team here at Lucknam Park to read such a glowing review. Thank you for taking the time to write such warm words - it really is appreciated.
We shall certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 25, 2018 via mobile

First up the good - I love the spa and have had several spa days in the last couple of years. I'd give it 5* without question and frequently recommend it to others. I have had facials and massages (around £100 each) and they are worth every penny. The grounds are beautiful, most staff are amazing, and food (lunch and dinner in brasserie; breakfast in main restaurant) is delicious, although a little overpriced. I also like the new addition of chocolates in the room!

However - they just don't quite deliver on the hotel side, especially considering the cost. I have stayed twice but neither time was great. Previous stay we had a very dark, gloomy room. This time the first room I was given had a constant weird noise in it (saw another review that mentioned this, so poss same room). It took time to investigate and then find, check and move to a (cosy but much smaller) room, by which point I'd missed my chance to have a nap (v rare break from toddler, so I desperately wanted this!). Got offered a drink while they moved me and they brought over a half bottle of champagne after to apologise, which was a nice touch and much appreciated. However I then went to run a bath and the plug was broken! Cue two more visits from staff and another hour before I could relax - I finally settled in around 6.30 I think. Probably wouldn't be a big deal if it hadn't been such a much needed rest.

In the morning the tea I ordered had to be chased (no tea or coffee in rooms) and then on check out I found I'd been charged £7.60 for a tea!!! When paying £300 a night this is just outrageous. When asked if you'd like tea or coffee there is no suggestion it is extra, and I've never had this elsewhere (and I like luxury hotels!)

Finally, on check out, I was charged for wine I didn't order and when I got to my car (a few hours later), my bags were not in there as promised. Such a good job I checked.

All added up to a bit of a let down unfortunately. I did raise all issues when there and filled in a form but no one has been in touch. Left feeling like my £500 total bill, for one night, was small fry. Maybe management are letting down the hard working (possibly overwhelmed) staff.

If you do nothing else - please stop charging guests for a cup of tea or coffee in the morning. Provide the facilities or include it in the room price if people want one.

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank BrizShiz
Reviewed September 30, 2018

We stayed in Keeper's Cottage at Lucknam Park for the weekend to celebrate a family birthday. It was fantastic to have a cottage for ourselves, but to be able to make use of the hotel's wonderful facilities.

I arrived later than other family members and went straight to dinner, with a member of staff driving my car down to the cottage, before bringing my keys back to me at the dinner table (a small example of the superb service you can expect).

The cottage has a double room, a double / twin room and a twin room, which all have ensuites. There's a kitchen, small dining room and a large living room upstairs. The only downside of the cottage is that you have to check out by 10am, which is the earliest check out time I've ever encountered. For the rest of the hotel, it's 12pm check out.

We dined in the Brassiere twice, which has a nice menu and good, fresh food. The service here was very good. We also ate in the Michelin star restaurant, sampling one of the two tasting menus. The food here was good (but not excellent considering the price), but it was an extremely long dining experience (well over three hours!). The time between courses was a bit too long. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, as we just cooked breakfast for ourselves in the cottage.

My favourite part of the hotel was the spa, which was very nice, and surprisingly not too busy at the weekend. There's a nice pool if you would like to swim, a hydrotherapy pool which is part indoor and part outdoor, a Japanese salt room, a sauna and a few other things too. This was a great experience and access is included in your room rate. You need to register at the spa reception, where they give you a wristband that will allow access to the changing rooms and spa. There are plenty of towels all around the spa, while the changing rooms also have bathrobes and slippers.

The setting of the hotel is amazing, whilst also being relatively close to the M4. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a weekend away in the countryside, with access to some great local places, such as Bath and Castle Coombe.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Alex C

I was delighted to read of your experience at Lucknam Park and Keepers Cottage - thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

Keepers Cottage was converted for guest use in July 2017 and we have received some wonderful feedback. I note however that your only disappointment was the check-out time being earlier than the hotel. This is in line with similar properties and is purely down to the time required to service all the rooms in the cottage as well as the fully equipped kitchen which I am sure you will appreciate, can all take much longer than a single hotel bedroom. I do hope that the check out time was communicated properly to you when you booked.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the food in both restaurants, but I am sorry that the service was a little slow in Restaurant Hywel Jones.

Your experience at the Spa was clearly a success which is fantastic to read about - thank you again.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Lucknam Park in the near future - as you said, there is so much to see and do, both at the hotel and in the area.
With very best wishes