“Great value for money”

Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This is the second Ramada Encore that we've stayed in and like Premier Inn etc., the rooms are the same so you know what to expect before you arrive. They are of a good size with an en suite shower room, TV and tea and coffee making facilities.

This stay was a Groupon voucher which included accommodation, breakfast and a bottle of wine, so a good deal. Unfortunately, it appeared that not all the staff had been briefed on what was included in the voucher and how to process it. Our room was allocated, but no other information was forthcoming and we had to ask about the routine for breakfast. As the wine wasn't already in our room, we had to ask at reception about it and were eventually given a voucher to take to the bar. It's easy to be critical, but on this occasion the staff at reception did leave a lot to be desired - perhaps more communication and training from management would have helped.

The location is by the M1, but we didn't notice any noise during the night, although this might be a different story in the Summer if you have a window open. However, you get what you pay for and this is still very good value for money and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stenolass
There are newer reviews for Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed here as a quick overnight, room very basic, no frills stay. Staff very friendly

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Stayed this Christmas (nights of 25th and 26th and last year also) at this fairly new hotel. Small but very clean modern rooms with good bed and adequately sized bathroom - very good price. The staff are very friendly/helpful and the breakfast was excellent.
The hotel was pleasantly warm - if anything the room was overly warm - and whilst I can thoroughly recommend the hotel for winter breaks I'm not sure how it would work out in the summer. We were in a room at the back which overlooks the railway (although we didn't see any trains at all this year or last) and is not far from the motorway - whilst it was very quiet with the window shut, when it was open there was a lot of traffic noise. The front of the hotel may not have quite so much road noise.

Room Tip: Try a 2nd floor front room in summer - rear rooms are fine in winter
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Booked this hotel through late rooms and then got there to find they had no knowledge of my booking!! However, after several barely audible conversations in reception, which was right next to where a huge disco was taking place with music so loud it almost cracked your ribs, they did manage to find me a room...one that had no towels in it (found out in time...) and no milk for the tea making facilities...(found out too late for the morning)...There was also no information in the room about the hotels facilities. Several areas in the room (particularly around the TV desk area were very dusty and looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in days. On my second day they de-activated my key-card and I had to wait while it was re-activated to access my paid-for room. When I went to ask for a little ice in the bar I was told, very shortly, that 'they didn't have any until their delivery tomorrow' - well of course not...what kind of a hotel keeps ice in their bar anyway? Answer: a well run one. And this, of course, is the Ramada's main failing...it could be a very good, reasonably priced hotel. The rooms are adaquate and the beds comfy. Unfortunately, the staff let it down in almost every department...Not impressed...Won't come here again...My advice: Steer clear.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2011

My Mother and I have just stayed at the Ramada Encore Barnsley for one night as part of an organised trip, on the whole we found The Hotel excellent - we arrived at the same time as another coach but check in took just 5 minutes with plenty of staff on hand to show you the way to lifts and your room etc. The rooms are basic, as expected for this type of accommodation, and very clean and nicely appointed and the level access bathroom an excellent idea as being disabled you do not feel you are being singled out as different! All areas are easily accessible with nice friendly staff to assist you as necessary - however all this said the night we stayed there was a Christmas Party Night in the Restaurant and although for my Mother an I there was no issue with having to join in the fun and sit at long tables with the rest of our party the service, was at best, amateurish! We sat down to dinner at 6.30 which having been out and about all day was a tad early - to then be 'treated' to 2 3/4 hours of loud music and no one appearing to quite know what was ment to be happening! However we all got some food eventually and went off to bed for a very comfortable nights sleep!! (the music was a bit loud from the party night and could be heard from your room but I personally wasn't bothered by it although several in our party did mention it) We found the beds comfortable (I found the double bed a little low for my own personal taste but I used the side of the sofa bed as a grab rail to pull myself up so I managed) and mum said that the single sofa bed was very comfy and was a good hight to get in and out of! Breakfast was very good all you want buffet style although as the hotel had a Christmas Fair in on the Sunday morning we left only half the room was set for breakfast which caused a few raised eyebrows as people were having to wait for tables (more tables were fetched out by staff and set up) but not a great start to the day for some! But all in all I would recommend this as good - disabled friendly - accommodation!!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Stayed at the Ramada Barnsley room clean and warm but much too close to the M1 and railway line could not have the window open and talk to each other. Although the bed was comfortable the pillows were terrible, hanging space limited. Had a breakfast at the Toby carvery which was very nice and morning staff lovely but evening staff were not attentive at all could have just walked out without paying!! Food was good.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the quieter side of the building would not stay in summer as no air conditioning
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Although clean, rooms were very basic with only hooks for clothes no drawers and a small bed. Not good for more than 1 night. Attended a dinner which was very badly catered with poor food and service. Would definitely not use this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
EncoreBarnsley, Manager at Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

I was sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Ramada Encore Barnsley, We had spoken with the organiser of the dinner and he was happy with the service and the food we provided, and I am sorry you did not enjoy as we strive to ensure all our guests go away happy.

The style of the bedrooms is the same for our brand throught the group and is designed to be simple and un cluttered and I am sorry you felt you needed more wardrobe space and draws in the room.

The beds we provide are a standard for the group and I am sorry they where a little small for you.

Thank you again for your feedback as all feedback helps us to improve service

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
0.5 km away
8.4 km away
Bagden Hall Hotel
Bagden Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Scissett

Been to Ibis Styles Barnsley hotel? Share your experiences!