“nice stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Worksop, United Kingdom
“nice stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

good hotel, nice rooms food in the restaurant was really nice, breakfast was good, the use of the leisure centre next door was fantastic, but above all that the staff were great so polite and nothing to much trouble as always when we stay at the holiday inns, can't wait for our next stay, would recommend to all my friends.

Room Tip: make use of the leisure facilities and just chill out.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michaelmcc1961
GMHIBarnsley, General Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for finding the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the time to make full use of the leisure facilities!

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff members I will pass on your comments to the team.

Jason Hiley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We arrived mid-evening and clearly they had functions going on. At the door we had to walk through a dense cloud of cigarette smoke to get through a crowd of people collected at the main door.
At the desk they had lost our booking and we had to start again. But the worst was the noise. There was a reception and a publicity event on in the large main room. The music was very loud. We needed sleep so asked for a room as far away as possible from the noise but it was still like having the radio turned up in our room. That went on until 12.30, and the shouting and singing in the corridor went on until 4.00am.
The room was big BUT..the bathroom was a bit tatty, there was no fridge/minibar, and no hair drier. It felt more like the cheap basic weekend party hotel. They really should warn people not booked in for the event.
Breakfast was fine. Just a bit too tired to appreciate it.

Room Tip: Check if there is a function on if you want a restful nights sleep.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest,

As per our recent communications I am extremely disappointed to see we were not able to restore your faith in our hotel and as a consequence you have posted this review.

Please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and we appreciate your feedback.

Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

got a deal on groupon for this, and im so glad i did!! rooms were lovely and spacious, bed was masssssiiivve!! and to top it off, full access to the spa and leisure facilities!! Staff were extremely friendly, toby carvery right up the road, and a couple local shops nearby too! Deffo recommend for a relaxing break.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PGAD92
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely report on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Barnsley.

I am pleased you had such a relaxing stay and managed to find the time to use the leisure facilities and spa!

Add us on Facebook and Twitter to be the first to hear about our latest special offers!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed here for the first time last week. Much better than most of the Holiday Inns in area. Wakefield take note!
Rooms big and comfortable.
Free wifi or cable connection (carry your own ethernet cable in case of shortage)
Good bar with big telly for football matches.
Restaurant good with friendly staff.
My Holiday Inn of choice now.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHIBarnsley, General Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Barnsley and for providing such positive feedback. I am extremely pleased to hear that we are now your Holiday Inn choice; we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

i stayed in the hotel several times and it is good value for a business hotel. Just for the bill i would recommend to pay in sterling, not euro.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHIBarnsley, General Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Barnsley. I am pleased to hear that you find the hotel to be good value for money and have chosen to stay here several times.

I have spoken to our Accounts team who has explained to me that with some international bank cards you are given the choice to either pay in sterling or pay in the Cardholders preferred currency. Please advise next time you are staying in the hotel and we can ensure the payment is done in Sterling.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

The first time I stayed here everything was fine, ordered room service which at the time didn't seem expensive, had no problems. I return today and have only been here 20 minutes and I'm very disappointed. Firstly I noticed the room service prices had gone up. £4.50 for tray charge and £7.50 for a dessert, a small pot of ben and Jerrys!!! That's ridiculous. There also was less choice. After deciding to go down to the restaraunt for food, thinking there would be a better choice of menu, it was completely empty that I thought it was closed and asked if they were still serving food. After being seated I was given a paper menu (not very good for a hotel) and discovered I wasn't much better off and felt stupid sitting on my own in such an empty space. I asked the waitress if I could order food and take it back up to my room, she informed me that I would have to wait 20 minutes for my food. When they came out with the tray, had a main course and dessert, No one offered to help me take it back up to my room. So bag on shoulder, large tray in arms I proceeded to my room. Walked past reception, again no offer of help and as I discovered earlier the lift was very slow decided to take the stairs. Eventually got to my room but it was a struggle as I was at the bottom of the corridor and had a few doors to try and get through.
I'm so disappointed that this is the first review I have ever written and admittedly I have stayed in worse but it's the level of service and charges for room service that has led me to write this.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your stay here at the Holiday Inn Barnsley. It is with great regret and embarrassment that the service you received here was so negative, and I sincerely apologise for this.

Please be assured it is our intention at all times to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us, and I sincerely apologise this was not the case.

I have investigated your comments in detail with my Senior Management Team and expressed my sincere concerns with the comments you have raised regarding the customer service you received.

Please be assured your comments have been taken very seriously and addressed as part of the performance management process, discussed at length and re-training implemented throughout the hotel.

Once again thank you for your time in feeding your experiences to me. I truly hope to have the pleasure of inviting you back to the Holiday Inn Barnsley again in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Warwick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed here on 25th December 2011. Very good welcome on arriving mid-evening; tasteful Christmas decorations. The duty manager, who was sleeping in overnight, helped us in the bedroom when we had problems with the our laptop. Although the receptionist had given us a cable, the instructions on the welcome letter said there was a code we would be given to get connected! This was wrong apparently! We had already failed to find the right slots for the cable, so he did it for us, and, when there was a worrying delay, he waited for the connection to be made. He also helped us with the heating. As the room was getting chilly, and we had found the controls unclear, he showed us how they worked and explained there was apparently a delay in heating coming through in some rooms. He also offered to check the boiler was working OK. The housekeeping is not great as we found the same curtain hooks slipping out off their holders when the curtains were drawn, as when we had stayed in the same room a few weeks previously. After previous problems with the sound on the TV being set too low, partly because the speakers are behind wood, it seemed better this time, at least in our room. Breakfast was not great, as the standing buffet offers food neither fresh nor hot, but the range offered was good. As there were parties during the day, we were in a windowless room, off the main dining room which was set for lunch; we thought it smelt a bit musty, largely because the carpet, where we were sitting, looked as though it might have needed a good clean after some sort of spillage.

Room Tip: In the winter, ask for a room where the central heating operates without delay
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHIBarnsley, General Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to hear that there were areas of your stay which fell below our usual high standards these include; the housekeeping within the room and also the breakfast quality. I have investigated your comments in detail with my Senior Management Team and expressed my sincere concerns with the comments you have raised.

On a more positive note I am pleased to hear that the staff were attentive to your needs and made you feel welcome.

Thank you for choosing to spend your Christmas at the Holiday Inn Barnsley, we hope to see you again throughout the year.

Jason Hiley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodworth
0.4 km away
10.1 km away
Premier Inn Barnsley (Dearne Valley) Hotel
33.3 km away
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Barnsley? Share your experiences!