All reviews bus stop right overlooking the sea a bit tired kippers sea front eggs benedict lick of paint short break four poster bed fantastic location full english superior room lovely room family room yogurt brighton refurbishment
Reviewed September 10, 2018

Pulled in to make a quick phone call and 11 mins after entering left with a £100 fine - appealed my case as it's clearly over the top and got rejected - read through the reviews and I'm definitely not the only one that had this. In addition to these on similar complaints and reviews, the manager of the White Horse has replied with sarcastic and not helpful replies.. genuinely upsetting that businesses resort to this - I'm 18 and can't afford such a fine considering I only used their space to use my phone!

Due to the above issues - I'd recommend not supporting this Hotel/pub.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Maggie E, Manager at White Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2018

I am sorry you experienced this issue, we do try and provide as many signs around our business to say that our Car Park is Pay & Display, to avoid our customers receiving such fines. I am sorry this was not clear to you on this occasion.

Reviewed August 30, 2018

We stayed for one night on Saturday 11th August for my husband's birthday and chose this hotel for its proximity to Brighton. The building is a bit tired from the outside, but in a great location with amazing sea views. Firstly, on parking in their car park, we paid for 24hrs parking as we had not seen any notification on the website or on the parking signs regarding free parking, but on check-in were asked for our registration number to park for free. We stated that we had already paid on our mobile and the lady checking us in laughed as she thought this was funny, but did not offer to refund the parking fee. We were then asked for a card to be swiped, but were told that no pre-payment would be taken, but on checking out we decided to pay on a different card and after payment had been taken were informed that the card used on check-in had been pre-authorised and the funds were being 'held' by our bank and taken off our account balance, but as we paid on a different account it would take a few days to be refunded. In essence, we paid for the room twice for 5 days (as that is how long our bank took to refund the money). This was not made clear on check-in.

Our room was a very large, corner room in a reasonable state of décor and the views from the window were great, although the size of the bathroom, in contrast, was very small.

We ate a light lunch on the terrace and the calamari was excellent, but quite pricey for only 3 pieces. Breakfast the next morning was good, although it did seem that other guests received their food quicker than we did, but as we were having a relaxing weekend, did not mention this.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay but clearer notification of parking and pre-payment conditions would benefit future guests.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the White Horse Hotel, I have taken note of your comments in regards to our parking, and our Pre-Authorisation Process, I am sorry that we hadn't made this clearer to you at the time of booking and on check in.

I am however pleased you enjoyed your stay with us for your birthday, and you enjoyed the food whilst you were here.

Myself and The Team look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

Lovely pub in a lovely setting with great views. Food was excellent.
However the Christmas decorations plus a large Christmas tree were extremely offensive on August 29. Christmas now seems to last in some places over half a year. I feel this is abusing families as well as creating a money -grabbing exercise which leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
I understand this process is one comes from central office and is not one that is appreciated by the staff

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The White Horse, I am pleased you enjoyed your food whilst dining with us. I am sorry that our Christmas Tree took your offence, it is not intended that way, and we hope this doesn't put you off stopping with us for another meal soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2018

My wife and I stayed over bank holiday ,on our arrival we where greeted by a lovely lady at reception who said our room was empty so we could book in that was a plus .room was great clean tidy tea coffee biscuits .Breakfast was very nice good variety and the staff at breakfast where very polite and professional.we ate a couple of meals there again staff friendly and always look busy .Decking area clean and always tidy with a lovely view .would have booked for next year but fully booked but we will return .

Date of stay: August 2018

Thank you for your review of the White Horse Hotel, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that your room, food and our waitresses and waiters provided you with their best service to ensure your comfortable stay.

Myself and The Team look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 26, 2018

I live nearby, so regularly visit for a drink or a meal. The White Horse overlooks the sea at Rottingdean and is easy to get to by car, bus, walking or cycling.
There is always a good selection of ales which are well kept and at a reasonable price.
Two menus are available every day, but I never stray from the Saver which offers a good selection at excellent prices and really is a saver in cost without compromising on quality.
Plenty of comfortable places to sit inside and lovely terraces outside overlooking the pebbly beach and the sea.

Date of stay: August 2018
Maggie E, General Manager at White Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2018

Thank you for your feedback on trip advisor, we really do appreciate you taking the time to do this and we look forward to seeing you soon.