“Great Location and very nice hotel”

Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Auldgirth
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed for one night only and booked based on the description of riverside location. This was a good decision as it was lovely to go walking in the grounds. The hotel itself was more than worthy of its 3 stars, which I assume was partly due to lack of a swimming pool or gym. The room was a little underwhelming compared to the great overall look of the hotel exterior and the bar/lounge/restaurant areas, but this did not detract from our stay as the room was warm, the bathroom was fine and the bed was very comfy. The only negative for us was the price of the evening meal - 3 courses for £25.50 seemed a bit steep so we drove a few miles to pub in Thornhill instead, which was excellent and much cheaper. We had a drink in the hotel bar when we got back and price didn't seem too bad by "hotel standards". Staff were welcoming and friendly and the snooker room was a nice little bonus. Will definitely stay again if returning to the Dumfries area and would consider the holiday cottages as an option if taking our dog with us.

Room Tip: Front of hotel, facing the river, would have been nicer than overlooking the farmland at the back.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights from 29/04/12. The grounds and building are great, inside it is a little dated but comfortable. Our room was large (Maple) with a nice view, big, clean, comfortable bed with a flat screen tv which had good reception and a large clean en suite bath/shower room. Unfortunately you could hear the guests in the next room, up at 6am and rattling around till 8.15am!! Second day we could hear them at night, I do believe both our beds were against the same wall!!!!!

The evening meal is set with various choices including beef, chicken, pork and fish. It is four course inclusuve of coffee for £27.95 and was very well cooked, my wife and I had the pork and it was perfect! House wine from £17.50 a bottle, pint of guiness £3.90 and a large glass of wine £5.50.

The breakfast was plentifull, it is self service from three hot plates with just enough food, in fact it was forever running out but the staff did keep coming back with more. The sausage and haggis was of very poor quality but the tea and coffee to wash it down with was nice.

Very attentive and approachable staff.

Would I go back? Yes if the price was right but I would not want to spend more than two nights there unless I was in one of the self catering cottages.

Room Tip: I do believe all rooms will have a good view.
1  Thank Mal W
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Having been given a two day break as a Christmas present , we combined a family catchup with this break. As you approach the hotel down a windy road the view gives you a sense of what to expect, peaceful understated ,great views and wild life wandering the grounds.
The rooms are good and the choice of food on the menu is also excellent , the menu changes daily and the food is sourced locally.
The staff are very helpful and polite, even down to supplying a phone charger after I had forgotten mine , that little touch goe's a long way in making the stay good.
Anyone going to the hotel and wanting to do a little exploring can' t go wrong here, out of the front door is a great walk along the river Nith which you can also fish courtesy of the hotel . All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Robfran21
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed here for the weekend looking for a relaxing beak and this is what we got.

Friars carse is in a stunning location with a river that runs next to it where you can fish. There is plenty wildlife around the place too.

The rooms are a little dated but comfortable, we could hear the people in the next room but it didn't bother us.

The food was great, couldn't fault it at all. The service was also very good.

I would say that I think this place is little bit.overpriced in terms of the rooms.

1  Thank scotslass007
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My sister and I spent a 2 night break at this beautiful 19th century country house hotel and had a lovely break in beautiful surrounding woodlands leading down to the river. The hotel itself is beautiful with a log fire in the lounge,nice bedroom,and the food was superb.The staff from the reception,bar staff and dining room were all very friendly and very helpful. We had a special offer which included a bottle of wine and a box of thornton chocolates in the bedroom which was a nice treat.We will be going back again and one of the options is one of the cottages situated in the grounds where you can spend a week and have the use of the hotels facilities. Ideal for families.The hotel is ideal for touring with Moffat and Gretna within 20 miles of the hotel.I also noticed,although not my thing, that there is private fishing for keen anglers on the river.I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All the bedrooms are named after trees and we had the Aspen which had beautiful views from two sides...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank catherine f
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Charming Scottish country house. Good food. Great staff. Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donfromuk
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights, dinner bed & breakfast.
The location is perfect, the room was looking a little tired and in need of updating but the rest of the hotel was fantastic, we had afternoon tea (and a wee dram) in the lounge sat by a roaring fire, the dinner and breakfast was excellent quality and complimented by the service.
The staff were very helpful and guided us to places of interest nearby.
Would recommend anyone to stay at Friars Carse, especially for a romantic/quiet get away from it all break.

2  Thank Andrew T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auldgirth
12.2 km away
Travelodge Dumfries
#6 of 7 in Dumfries
20.3 km away
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel

Been to Friars Carse Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!