“Excellent, but doesn't quite live up to price”
Review of The Oxford Blue

The Oxford Blue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oxford Blue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Old Windsor
Price range: US$17 - US$98
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Award winning Gastropub in Old Windsor bringing you fine dining worthy of any restaurant but in a country pub. With an emphasis on excellent service and fine British dining, the menus are thoughtfully designed by Chef Proprietor Steven Ellis, to present traditional fayre with a sophisticated and modern twist. Catering for both casual and bespoke dining - the Set Lunch Menu offers amazing value with a stunning two course meal for £25 or three courses for £30, whilst the A la Carte offers a delightful choice of dishes that will be perfect for any discerning foodie. Private business meetings. special family events and celebrations can be catered for in The Wine Attic : surrounded by fine wines, your own bar and views across the countryside, this really is exclusive dining on another level. Licensed for weddings, our location is perfect for anyone looking for a boutique and characterful venue in which to get married. Venue exclusivity is also available.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I don't really like the concept of meals being 'good value'. You're paying for the experience, not a specific quantity of food.

So the problem with the Oxford Blue isn't that it's overpriced per se. It's that the prices create a level of expectation that it doesn't quite match.

This was a very fine meal - but when the pork ribeye is nudging £30 (plus a £5 side of truffle mash), you imagine the quality must be nothing short of galactic. It's not - and therefore a slight disappointment.

That said, the food was great taken in isolation. We had a terrific venison 'bon bon' amuse bouche, then excellent starters of shellfish rarebit (essentially cheesy fruits de mer served in a big shell) and beetroot cured salmon.

Then followed a £27 chicken and ham pie (delicious, despite my blanching at the price) and the aforementioned good-but-not-great pork ribeye. The rhubarb bavarois was superb; the hammer-your-own chocolate a fun touch.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening, enhanced by attentive service and a convivial atmosphere. There's really very little to fault, but the prices set an extremely high bar and it wasn't quite the all-time great meal we were hoping for.

3  Thank chickinho10

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I dined at the Oxford Blue on Mother’s Day with our 1 year old. Whilst they do not cater for children, they allowed us to bring him with us as it was a lunch time booking, we also bought our own high chair. My husband was a little nervous but everything ran so smoothly and the staff could not have made us feel more welcome. They were so kind and great with both us and our baby . The food was absolutely incredible and very generous in quantity also. There were so many lovely added touches and we left the restaurant feeling so happy. I wish I could remember the name of the lady serving us as she was absolutely wonderful, it’s clear all staff have been selected very carefully and the service is 5 Star! We cannot wait to return.

1  Thank Hayley R
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We had a birthday lunch here mid week. Its was all delicious and I couldn't fault anything. Unusual food and old favorites.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

From the moment we went in the service was first class with attention to every will detail
The staff we excellent but the food was to die for just such wonder tastes

As we are from Devon the staff gave us a glass of a new wine they had been tasting that day as it was from Lyme bay in Devon
Just so many little touches to make your experience perfect

Thank beverley Stone-... s
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

I came to The Oxford Blue for a lunch with friends. From the moment I stepped foot in the door we were treated like royalty, I've never felt so well looked after. The food was the best I've ever had and was all made fresh to suit me as I'm gluten free. Hands down the bestest meal, service and pub I've ever been to. I look forward to going back for some more