“Hidden Gem with Great Seafood”

Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant
Price range: US$2 - US$15
Description: Special Yala Peace Cottage Barbecue, Whole fish, Chicken, Secret barbecue sauce, Salad, Soup, Fruit Dessert. Traditional Sri Lankan Food. Rice and variety of Sri Lankan Curries. Locally Sourced Fish. Italian. Salads. Sandwiches and French Fries.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We read amazing reviews of their bbq seafood during dinner service, but unfortunately we could only make it for lunch. The owner is really friendly and shared with us how he built the restaurant and hotel. He made recommendations for drinks and food which turned out to be great. Also, as it was located off the main road, he helped to arrange for a tuk tuk to send us back to our hotel.

We ordered a special coconut lime cocktail not on the menu and also 2 main dishes - mullet and mixed seafood (mullet, calamari, prawns) which were all very fresh. Fish could have been descaled more though. There were some herbs & spices within the fish which added to the flavor. Always ask for his special dipping sauce as it complemented the dishes well! If you are not a fan of seafood, his menu offers western and chinese cuisine selections too.

The atmosphere was laidback and peaceful, as it was located in the middle of fields with bird calls. Truly dining within nature indeed! Wish we could have been there for dinner to see the peacocks living nearby and bbq bonfire.

Manju S, Owner at Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Dear Sir & Madam.
thank you very much for your nice comment for the Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant & you have a nice time with us hope to see you again Sri Lanka visit my Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant again.

best regards

owner Manju Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant .

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere and great food. The owner told us about himself, his background and how he had started his resort. He gave us the choice of fresh chicken or fish and showed us both options to see how fresh they were. The kitchen is open behind the restaurant so you can see them preparing the marinade and spices for the special sauce.

Very tasty food, simply presented with steamed vegetables.

Local arrack cocktail and chilled beer made a welcome accompaniment.

Sunset was accompanied by the peacocks coming back to roost.

A little pricier than some other places we have been but excellent food and great atmosphere.

Manju S, Owner at Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Dear Sir & Madam.
thank you very much for your nice comment for Yala Peace Cottages Restaurant I am happy too your have a nice time with us & also I hope you have a nice time in Sir Lanka too & I hope to come again Sir Lanka & visit my Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant again

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Food is excellent, the owner is friendly and ready to fullfil your every wish. We had a cooking class and learned to make sri lankan curry. Definitely recommend for lunch or dinner!

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

After an unmemorable experience at "The flavors restaurant" which is somehow rated #1 in Tissa, we decided to put our faith in TA again and take a chance on Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant. We were not disappointed this time. It is a little spin in a tuk tuk down a bumpy road but well worth going the extra mile!!! Manju the owner is welcoming and friendly but not pushy. He simply wants you to enjoy your evening at his restaurant which you can tell he is extremely proud of. I had a seafood grill mix and it was the best meal I've had in Sri Lanka so far. Clean, healthy, cooked to perfection and accompanied by some veg and two sauces. My friend had the BBQ chicken which was also 10/10. We also enjoyed some delicious cocktails prepared by Manju.

The setting is beautiful. You are surrounded by nature and Luna the playful pup will keep you fully entertained while you are there! Manju offered to show us the rooms and gave us a well versed run down of how he built the complex and also about the surrounding views and animals you would expect to see during the day. He is a charming host and very proud of what he has created, as he should be. We felt so welcome while dining here, thank you Manju!

My only regret is that we weren't staying at the Yala Peace Cottages...perhaps next time :)

It is not surprising that this restaurant has 59 excellent reviews and counting. I would challenge anyone who gives it anything less than excellent!!! It is only open 2 or so months I think, and I have full faith that it will eclipse the misleading TA #1 rating soon and take it's rightful place at the top of the Tissa leaderboard and stay there.

10/10
5 Stars
100%

Manju S, Owner at Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2018

Dear Sir & Madam.
thank you very much for your nice comment for Yala Peace Cottages Restaurant I am happy too your have a nice time with us & also I hope you have a nice time in Sir Lanka too & I hope to come again Sir Lanka & visit my Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant.

Reviewed March 30, 2018

On the way to Yala peace cottage we bumped into the owner who greeted us and advised he will meet with us shortly which surprised us. Upon arrival we were met with smiling faces and Luna the Yala peace cottage pup. We met the chef and once the owner Manju had arrived he showed us around the huts and explained how he designed and built the complex. The food was slow cooked barbecued fish and chicken with a delicious soup starter. The flavour in the food was immaculate, cooked and presented very well.
The excellent reviews which initially caught our attention was very well deserved from the host to the food. We had a great night with Manju and loved that he really took care of his dogs, especially Luna a 4 month puppy, we found this quite rare in Sri Lanka.

Manju was attentive to all his guests, mingled among us all with great stories. He also makes a lovely cocktail (his specialty) and has wild peacocks living among the trees in the surrounding area. Situated between the temples you can see in the distance.
I definitely recommend people to stay or at least visit Yala peace cottage!
We found there are rumors that it is dangerous to get to with snakes lurking on the path, don't believe what you hear and give the place a try. :)

Manju S, Owner at Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2018

Dear Sir & Madam.
thank you very much for your nice comment for the Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant & you have a nice time with us hope to see you aging Sri Lanka & visit my Yala Peace Cottage Restaurant aging.

best regards

owner Manju Yala Peace Cottages .