All reviews private beach seaweed bath self catering houses upgraded to a suite family suite crab claws mushroom soup kids club eggs benedict wild atlantic way beautiful location holiday home bar food top class the main hotel fabulous food chowder
Reviewed September 25, 2018

Went here for a night with my other half purely to relax and chill out and that we did!

We had a lovely view from our room which was fab but the thing that made this stay so memorable was the dinner and breakfast! We had the tasting menu for dinner and it was absolutely stunning, one of the nicest meals I have ever had! Scallops, halibut, beef, chocolate tart - all absolutely divine! Delicious accompaniments with each course.

The next day, we debated going down for breakfast as neither fancied the usual buffet and bamboree set up you would typically get in even the most glamorous hotel but luckily we went down and what a treat! We had a choice of breakfast and each was cooked from scratch for us. While you waited you could help yourself to fruit / pastries / yogurt / cereal. I got Eggs Benedict and my other half got the full Irish. Both were absolutely fabulous! By far the nicest hotel breakfast I have had.

The staff throughout our stay were fantastic - from the man who checked us in, the guy and girl working in the bar, the wait staff in the restaurant, the chefs (both dinner and breakfast), the lady who checked us out, each one was lovely and friendly as well as very helpful.

Cannot wait to go back and I'm already looking up what I can book!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Galway1984
Reviewed September 24, 2018 via mobile

Booked the self catering last minute due to getting time off work. Decided on staying there as the scenery and local area is beautiful. Checked in at the hotel and git our keys etc. Staff as usual are so friendly and during our stay we phoned over to the main hotel for a hairdryer and iron. They also did us a reduced rate for the third night due to the storm which was very nice. The only downside was that we felt the furnishings and decor in the apartments was not what we expected particularly due to the hotel being so expertly decorated so we were a little disapointed on that element of our stay. Certainly the sitting room area could have benefitted from another couch.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2018

My husband myself and our cocker spaniel stayed for 2 nights in one of the cottages. The surrounding beaches and countryside are stunning. The cottage was beautifully maintained and had everything you could possibly need including plentiful supplies of complimentary coffee pods! My daughter had arranged with Martin to have a birthday cake and bottle of prosecco awaiting us in the fridge, we were just amazed at how friendly and helpful Martin and the rest of the staff were. The decor of the main hotel is beautiful, very modern with a New England twist in the reception area. We dined in the main restaurant and I cant praise the chef highly enough the food was excellent and not over priced. I would definitely recommend a visit and we will definitely be back again next year!

Room Tip: Can’t really comment on the main hotel as we had one of the beach cottages as we had our dog with us
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pauline m
Reviewed September 16, 2018

We booked the deluxe suite with sea and mountain view. First of all, the surrounding area is stunning. On entering the grounds of the hotel you first notice the main entrance has not been painted. The lobby, bar and restaurant and up to the treatment rooms are very contemporary and very nicely decorated. Thats as far as the 4* grade went in the decor however. The bath in the bathroom had unfinished discoloured silicone by the shower door and the bath panel was quite shoddy also. When you wash you hands in the sink a pump starts which is quite noisy. We heard it from other rooms aswell. The tv in the room was a on a bracket up high. You could hardly hear it with interference noise and no Irish channels on the tv. There was an iron and ironing board provided, also a bottle of water and kettle with tea and coffee. Great view from the suite but it was not 4*.
The gentleman at repcetion was helpful and obliging. We had a few drinks in the bar in the afternoon. I ordered a pint of Guinness from the barman. He pulled the pint and let it settle and went off about his business. A man who seemed to know the barman came to the other side of the bar which was out of sight of where we sat. The barman started chatting to him and forgot about my pint. Another barman came along and I requested a new pint to be pulled. That barman apologised and pulled another pint and he went off about his business and did not come back so I had to wait until the other barman was finished chatting until I received a pint.
We ate dinner at 8pm. The background music was funky trance music and that was louder than the tv in the room! We both ate chicken which was nice. My partner had cheesecake which seemed dry. I had "seaweed" ice cream which seemed might have put someone else off but it was really nice. Breakfast again was not 4*. The 2 sausages were not nice, there was very little in the rashers and the tomato was overcooked. There was however a nice spread on the buffet if you wanted yogurt, cereal or juice etc. Again the funky trance music for breakfast lol My partner then had a treatment in the spa. She said it made up for the disappointment of the hotel. She received a wonderful treatment and could not get over how refreshed she felt afterwards. Another highlight was the 2 minute walk to the private beach. The sand was white and the water was crystal clear. You felt like you had landed on a tropical island.
On reflection, Connemara Sands Hotel does fall short and in my opinion has some catching up to do to meet a complete 4* hotel.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnGS76
Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

What an amazing gem of a hotel. First time to stay here. Without doubt this is one of the best breaks I've enjoyed in an Irish hotel. The food is amazing and so reasonable.Bar food is top stand alone restaurant quality but with amazing value. I don't know where they picked their staff...but they are exceptional, so friendly and helpful. Definitely will make this hotel a regular stop. Well done to all involved here.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family