“Comfortable adventure”
Review of Bushwise Safaris

Bushwise Safaris
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I could not be happier with my stay at Bushwise. Prior to departure, Annette was in constant contact - she was flexible with payment and even gave us packing suggestions. My travel companion did most of the communicating, but the emails I saw were friendly, helpful and timely. We were greeted at the airport on time by Werner - a very fun, knowledgable guide. He stayed with us all week - taking us to Blyde River Canyon (and agreeing to a detour on the way home to find soy milk for me), and expertly leading us through Kruger Park on our all day safari drive. He ate dinner with us each night and entertained us afterwards. I felt like a house guest, not a paying client. Tim and Annette eagerly asked about our days over happy hour drinks and shared their own stories. When we asked for a good running route, Tim even drove us along his favorite path so we would know where to go. The food at breakfast and dinner was abundant and freshly prepared, and there were plenty of opportunities to stop for snacks, lunch, and water on each of our days out. Our rooms were simply adorned and comfortable, and I had no trouble with bugs at night. At the end of our stay, Tim and Annette even arranged for our transfer to meet a friend in Maputo. They could not have made the trip more logistically easy for us. I highly recommend this lodge.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I have never been to South Africa and didn't know where to begin in planning a safari vacation. After reading the great reviews about Bushwise, I sent an email to learn more. Annette responded almost immediately and was so incredibly helpful. She helped us book our safari package and additional trips to the Blyde River Canyon and Swaziland so we could make the most of our trip from the US.
The lodge itself was amazing, and provided great views into the park. I went for a run along the Kruger fence one afternoon after Tim showed me a great running route and saw so many animals it was like a safari in itself! The food was delicious and it was so nice and relaxing having dinner under the stars after our action-packed days.
The safaris were incredible and we saw all the Big 5 and so much more. Werner and Tim were so knowledgable about all the plants and animals, and I feel like I learned so much in my 5 day stay. I always felt so safe and taken care of, even in the midst of a terrible storm that almost flooded the roads.
I have told all my friends and family what a great time I had at Bushwise and how I can't wait until I have the opportunity to go back. I really felt like I was part of the Bushwise family during my visit, which is incredible when you are thousands of miles away from home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We have stayed at Bushwise three times and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves everytime. My husband and I are very keen on birdwatching. We have spent many happy hours watching the incrdeible birdlife that can be seen not only in Kruger Park but from the fabulous thatched veranda as well. Sixty nine differnt varities of birds in just over an hour.
The accommodation and catering were first class. It is like being a special guest in a private home. Tim is very welcoming and guests are encouraged to relax and experience the pleasure of staying in an authentic safari household.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are really worthwhile as the views across the Crocodile River are excellent. Enjoying...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We have been at least 10 times with European visitors over the past 6 years. Everyone has thought the trip fantastic, particularly the enthusiasm of Tim and the guides.I have visited 6 game parks in South Africa and the experience at Bushwise is by far the best and will be repeated many times.

Room Tip: The view is better from an upstairs room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed at Bushwise in Feb, 2012 for two nights, and I would recommend this property to anyone looking for a safari property that is nice, well run, if not luxurious.

One of the reasons my friends and I chose this property is that it is very well priced compared to comparable properties, and they offer transportation from Maputo. We were staying in Maputo for a few days, and we arranged for Bushwise to pick us up. Tim (the owner) came right on time and in a little over two hours, we were in the Krueger vicinity.

So here are the things I enjoyed about this property. The room I stayed at was clean and very comfortable. The AC worked very well, and the shower water was definitely hot enough. The viewing deck on the second floor offered a nice panoramic view (from the deck, I saw zebras, warthogs and a kudu wandering through the garden below), and the pool (though on the small side) was awesome - I will call it an infinity dip pool, with great views into Krueger. Tim, the owner was very hospitable, and everyone working there was very pleasant. Dinner was served in an enclosed outdoor area with campfires and torches providing ambient lighting. A very nice experience overall.

The only downside I can think of about Bushwise is that it is located quite a distance away from the nearest gate to Krueger National Park. I think it was at least a 30 min drive on a dirt road to the Crocodile Gate, but with all the construction going on in the roads there, hopefully there will be paved roads soon connecting Bushwise to Krueger, which will substantially cut down on travel times.

Room Tip: My room on the ground floor was totally fine, but a room on the second floor may offer better views
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We spent 9 magnificients days at Bushwise Safari Lodge!! Tim and Anette support for all the activitis we want to do was superb. The conviviality with Werner and Nick in all trips that we made to Krugger, to Moçambique and to Swaziland was fantastic. Dinning on the garden under the stars, with wonderful food was a experience that we recommend. The swimming pool on the sunset with a view over Krugger is fantastic. 9 days really amazing! Thanks a lot for making our holidays a memorable experience. Probably we will be back again.... Alexandre and Elisabete

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I recently stopped over at Bushwise safaris for a night on my way back form Mozambique. It was really great to enjoy the excellent hospitality and the african bush. The setting was superb and the food was even better! We made use of the awesome splash pool overlooking the crocodile river, and even spotted an elephant nearby. Sundowners on the deck was followed by a great dinner in the boma. Tim and Annette are great hosts and i will definately be back!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
6.4 km away
Needles Lodge
Needles Lodge
#1 of 34 in Marloth Park

Been to Bushwise Safaris? Share your experiences!