“Excellent food, friendly atmosphere”
Review of The Volunteer Inn

The Volunteer Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Yealmpton
Price range: US$3 - US$17
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional Pub Food
Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

I would highly recommend this pub! Everything exceeded our expectations, Karl the barman was very friendly and served us quickly. The food was superb, I had fish and chips and my wife had arranchini with steak to follow. Both were very tasty and looked good. Only critisicm would be portion size, very large amount of food! We met both the chefs after our meal and both were friendly and grateful that we enjoyed our food! Excellent place to eat, very cosy and cheap

Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

We have been here several times and have seen different landlords run the place, however, this was the first time we were disappointed.

On arrival, we were shown our prebooked table. Went to bar to order drinks and enquire about the menu. Spoke to the people behind the bar but a woman sat on a bar stool customer side replied with “have you booked?” This was a little confusing as she was drinking a glass of wine and wrapping bottles of wine so didn’t look like staff. I pointed at our table and started to order drinks. Two people behind the bar started doing them. One of them was confused by the white wine lemonade spritzer request as well as orange juice and lemonade (nearly got squash). I don’t think she is an experienced bar person and that is clearly forgivable.

One of the party enquired about vegetarian options as well as what menu items came with (vegetables) and again the woman on the bar stool chipped in with “I will go and speak to the chef once I’ve finished doing this” (still wrapping). This she did (on finishing said wrapping).

It took some time for the first food item to arrive - a ginormous position of fish and chips - and then another wait for other food to appear. The rest of the food was a little disappointing. Quality was okayish but the sides were poor. The prices have increased significantly but this increase is not justified with the food presented.

We also asked for more drinks from the waitress who brought out the food and she said she would send over a waitress but no one arrived. We tried again when the plates were being collected but she said we needed to go to the bar.

It all seems very haphazard and confused. There seems to be an awful lot of staff who aren’t trained properly or have the same role? I’m not convinced we will return sadly.

3  Thank Experience252205
Reviewed December 29, 2017 via mobile

New management are fantastic, pub has had a good makeover, and although food is cheap, it’s now the best in Yealmpton, and even better than Newton and Noss. Very friendly welcome with warm wood burner, we have spent far too much time here !

Reviewed December 10, 2017

Great publicans, always made to feel welcome and the food is excellent. My wife and I have eaten there at least 5 times in the last month. Couldn't fault the food.

Reviewed November 25, 2017

Hospitable, friend!y proprietors and staff who quickly found us a table despite the location being incredibly busy. Good choice of drinks and food from the menu and the specials board. Elected to have the fish and chips that were exceptional as well as being huge!

Under new management (only 6 weeks), but much work and renovation already been undertaken.

Definitely recommend a visit.