“Mothers Day”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional Pub Food
Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely Mother’s Day lunch, it was a set menu and we honestly can not fault it at all. The prawn cocktail was delicious with lovely size prawns. I had the roast lamb which was beautifully cooked and tender, the Yorkshire puddings were amazing probably best I have ever had, all the veg was cooked to perfection and the roast potatoes were lovely and crispy. All the staff were friendly and must commend our lovely young waitress, she was very attentive. Thank you for making Mother’s Day a special one and we will be coming back.

Reviewed February 1, 2018

Lovely menu. Choice of light bites or full meals. All freshly cooked, served swiftly and arrive looking delicious.
Dog friendly and excellent value. Husband says the beer is good too.

Reviewed January 5, 2018 via mobile

Visiting the area to attend my Grandmothers funeral - staying down the road from the pub with family. Arrived about 7.30 and starving so no brainer to visit the local for beer and some food.
The volunteer management are relatively new I believe.
I asked for a pint and a half of Moretti ( the landlord corrected me and said Birra Moretti you mean ) then they served it in a random glass ... not a ‘Birra Moretti’ glass. So that wound me up to begin with ... if you are going to be so pedantic about the beer you sell, at least put it in the right glass.
Now I do have a bee in my bonnet about so called premium beers and lagers ... if you pay premium prices for premium beers and lagers then it should be in the appropriate glass ... San Miguel in a San Miguel glass / Timothy Taylor in a Timothy Taylor glass ...
So I got my Birra Moretti in the wrong glass and the food was ordered ... they brought the drinks to the table.
Food was nice hot and tasty. I had belly pork and my aunt had red Thai curry all good.
They have dogs big dogs well I assumed they were with the pub owners ... there was also a smelly spaniel ( might belong to the pub and might not ) sat on a bar stool at the bar. So I couldn’t get to the bar cos if this dog sat on the stool !
Now for me if I was new and wanted to make a good impression the big dogs and the spaniel need to go.
( I love dogs but not running round a pub )
Shouting at the dogs as the entered the kitchen entrance ... that didn’t go into the kitchen I admit but the whole thing for me just doesn’t make for a good atmosphere which is a shame when the current tenants are obviously trying.
I enjoyed my food and so did my aunt and it was reasonably busy for a Thursday in January.
Shame about the other things !

1  Thank Nigel B
Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

I would highly recommend this pub! Everything exceeded our expectations, Karl the barman was very friendly and served us quickly. The food was superb, I had fish and chips and my wife had arranchini with steak to follow. Both were very tasty and looked good. Only critisicm would be portion size, very large amount of food! We met both the chefs after our meal and both were friendly and grateful that we enjoyed our food! Excellent place to eat, very cosy and cheap

Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

We have been here several times and have seen different landlords run the place, however, this was the first time we were disappointed.

On arrival, we were shown our prebooked table. Went to bar to order drinks and enquire about the menu. Spoke to the people behind the bar but a woman sat on a bar stool customer side replied with “have you booked?” This was a little confusing as she was drinking a glass of wine and wrapping bottles of wine so didn’t look like staff. I pointed at our table and started to order drinks. Two people behind the bar started doing them. One of them was confused by the white wine lemonade spritzer request as well as orange juice and lemonade (nearly got squash). I don’t think she is an experienced bar person and that is clearly forgivable.

One of the party enquired about vegetarian options as well as what menu items came with (vegetables) and again the woman on the bar stool chipped in with “I will go and speak to the chef once I’ve finished doing this” (still wrapping). This she did (on finishing said wrapping).

It took some time for the first food item to arrive - a ginormous position of fish and chips - and then another wait for other food to appear. The rest of the food was a little disappointing. Quality was okayish but the sides were poor. The prices have increased significantly but this increase is not justified with the food presented.

We also asked for more drinks from the waitress who brought out the food and she said she would send over a waitress but no one arrived. We tried again when the plates were being collected but she said we needed to go to the bar.

It all seems very haphazard and confused. There seems to be an awful lot of staff who aren’t trained properly or have the same role? I’m not convinced we will return sadly.

3  Thank Experience252205