All reviews outdoor pool would highly recommend staying here traditional japanese breakfast hot water train station the owner snow monkey park bedroom property hosts luggage yukata futon bath onsen ryokan monkeys
Reviewed March 8, 2018

we had a wonderful stay at this fantastic Ryokan! The room was very (!) spacious. We chose the room with Tatami area and separate "regular" beds. The beds were very comfortable and we slept so well. The Tatami area was very relaxing and it was a nice experience sitting there, drinking tea and not having much distraction for your eyes.
Breakfast was very delicious with huge portions. We took one Japanese-style and one Western-style breakfast and they both were excellent.
One evening we ordered the optional dinner and it was worth every penny. It was many courses and so delicious!
The staff was always super friendly and helpful and they drove us to the start of the monkey park and to the train station for free.
The Onsen area was very nice and relaxing. It is gender separated.
We had a wonderful time at this Ryokan and would stay there again any time!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2018

As a group of four people, we stayed in a traditional Japanese room on tatami mats. The room was gorgeous and had a view of the garden, the mats were comfortable with the fluffiest duvets, and with heaters the room was very dry and warm. There are two private onsens, one is OK but the other is really nice, with an outside pool which was perfect in winter. Our hosts were very friendly and accommodating, we ordered a traditional Japanese breakfast which was delicious (egg, salmon, rice, miso, fruit) and prepared with a lot of care. Our hosts went the extra mile and provided us with snow boots and drove us to the snow monkey park. The location is good, about a 5-10min walk from the Yudanaka train station, and a 15-20min walk to Shibu Onsen town. I would highly recommend staying here for an authentic ryokan experience.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2018

We had a delightful stay here. Our previous hotel called and let the owners know when we were arriving. The owner met us at the train station. The train station in Yudanaka is small and easy to meet up at. The town is small but we greatly appreciated the ride since we had luggage and the ryokan is up a small hill about 10 minutes away walking. Our room was very nice and the property is lovely. The onsen is wonderful, especially the part outside. The onsen switches from male to female so be sure to watch the schedule and follow the rules. The rooms have toilets and are quite large but the only showers are in the onsen. We had a room with two small beds but they also have more traditional tatami rooms. We arranged for dinner one night and two breakfasts. The food was incredible, but pace yourself because there's a lot of it and it keeps getting better. We don't speak any Japanese but had no trouble communicating with our hosts. They were very helpful and had lots of maps, train tables, directions, and lists of restaurants. We came to see the snow monkeys, but sadly there were none the days we were there so we went to Obuse instead. Our hosts were able to call to the park to find out about the monkeys. My husband walked up to the park anyways. It took him about an hour at a leisurely pace and he said it was quite nice. The owners will drive you if you'd like. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2017

As we were travelling from Tokyo, I emailed the property the morning of the day we were to arrive, to let them know our time of arrival and that we would then quickly go to the Snow Monkey Park. I wasn't expecting our host to meet us at the train station, get us checked in and then drive us to the Snow Monkeys! So friendly and unexpected and awesome - it really gave us so much more time. The entire property is quite large and certainly does not look big from the front. However, a great deal of it was seemingly unused during our visit (which was not a problem, just an observation). The rooms themselves were spacious and clean but the carpet in hallways is a bit stained and showing signs of use. That would be my only minor negative comment. Our hosts were genuinely helpful and friendly. We chose to stay in a traditional room with futons. I have arthritis and needed an extra doona or two under my futon to provide a bit more comfort but I knew what I had signed up for. My aching body was soon recovered after a session in the onsen (hot springs bath). Oh my goodness, it was fabulous. There are quite a few rules regarding the use of hot springs so I suggest you familiarise yourself with them before you go. I used both the indoor and outdoor pool. There are two baths indoors, one "low temperature" and the other I would describe as "very bloody hot". I couldn't stay in it, it was just too hot. The outdoor one was perfect and I enjoyed the beauty of the night sky all on my own. The Japanese style breakfast (you could choose Western style also) was just amazing. Beautifully prepared and whilst not at all what we are used to, was delicious. Scrambled eggs (cold), fillet of fish, pickled mushrooms and beans and loads of other tasty tidbits/titbits (whichever you prefer) but have no idea what they were. They also provided a tub of yoghurt and chocolate croissants, tea and coffee (although I fear the Japanese in general, have a lot to learn about coffee). Our host wanted to know what time our train departed and once again, drove us back to the station (it's not far, maybe even less than 1km but it just made it so much easier). I would highly recommend staying here and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
yudanaka-yumoto, お客様担当マネージャー at Yudanaka Yumoto, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2017

Thank you very much for your kind review.We aooreciate you sharing so many details of your stay.We are thankful for you opening your mind and heart to us and experiencing the unique traitional style a Japanese ryokan offers.
Arigaou gozaimashita!

Yudanaka Yumoto.

Reviewed April 3, 2017 via mobile

I stayed here on my own in march and it was wonderful, I stayed to visit the snow monkeys and I'm glad I did!
Yudanaka is a beautiful onsen village and in easy reach of the snow monkeys and the train station. On arrival the owner drove me to the entrance of the snow monkey park and h told me where to go and how to return ect. The owners are very friendly and lovely people, the property is peaceful and calming with Fantastic traditional Japanese rooms and a beautiful Japanese garden to look out on to.

I used the onsen here and it was the best I experienced during my stay they have an outdoor onsen too and you can sit outdoors with the snow falling.

Breakfast here was unbelievable! Traditional Japanese breakfast served in you room. The village its self doesn't have a lot going on shop wise but there's lots of restaurants and bars and is really laid back it give you a great feel for the real japan!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
yasuyoyumoto, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Yudanaka Yumoto, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2017

Thank you very much for your kind review.We aooreciate you sharing so many details of your stay.We hope that you enjoyed relaxing in the bath! We hope to see you here again in the future!
Arigaou gozaimashita!