All reviewswestern foodjapanese stylecarpettatamibathsexperience
Reviewed March 26, 2017 via mobile

Spent a day/night here with my son and his wife during my visit to Japan.
Baths, both public and private, were good.
Room was excellent as was the evening meal.
I recommend this hotel for a relaxing experience of the Japanese style.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2016

这是我们第一次入住日式酒店,说实话感觉很震撼。刚入住时感觉酒店有点老,但后来越住越喜欢。酒店房间非常大,榻榻米睡得非常舒服。酒店位于一条小溪上方,风景美极了。最令人难忘的是酒店准备的丰盛晚餐,刚看到摆好的餐桌,简直舍不得下筷子,每个食物的造型都太美了。味道当然也非常好,食材非常新鲜。忍不住感慨一下日本人的匠人精神,做这么一餐饭得花多少心思啊。强烈推荐没来过日本的朋友都来体验一下。
Very nice hotel, great food, huge room, highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2016

You must stay at this onsen! There is no need to keep looking for a great place.

I have stayed at this hotel twice now, because my first experience was so brilliant. On my first visit, I booked with a Japanese website. There were no tatami mat rooms available online, however when I arrived, staff were happy to change my room from western style, to tatami, which I prefer. Perhaps a tatami room suddenly became available.

A helpful desk staff, who spoke strong enough English to make me feel welcome showed me to my room and answered all of my questions. I was upgraded to an enormous tatami room and it felt like a castle, compared to the tiny 6 tatami mat size rooms at business hotels. This is not a business hotel. Futon were very soft and comfortable and the sheets and towels were clean. Although the hallways leading to the baths may feel like a bit of a labyrinth, staff were happy to help me find my way.

The friendly and helpful staff provided me with a map and helped me find things I needed within the little village.

The breakfast buffet was fantastic. Lots of choices between Japanese and western, with cold and warm selections in both categories. This is a perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of a big city in any party of Japan.

My only disappointment was that the first time I stayed at Minakamikan, the cedar baths were closed due to a winter snow cave-in. By the time I returned the following year, the renovations had been completed.

I will be back!

Hints:
- Contact the hotel to confirm their shuttle pick up times.
- Get to breakfast early to save yourself a seat by the window at the back of the dining area so you have a view of the mountains; they go quickly!
- I saved a lot of money and skipped the dinner at the hotel, but I'm sure it's fabulous, judging by the quality of the breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank matthew g
Reviewed January 14, 2016

We had an enormous tatami room (Room 106, I think) with river views, though it was a little bit on the cool side at times. It had a huge living space (doubling as a second bedroom at night), a bedroom with 2 large singles (small doubles?) that we pushed together and even an extra seating area in the bedroom. It had a separate entry space, 2 toilets, vanity area and shower/bath room. Seriously the biggest room we've had in our 8 trips to Japan.

Fabulous choice of 16 lovely onsens. Yes 16!!! They rotate each area between males and females at different times so you can try them all. Some are better than others but all are great.

The service was great but the staff are quite officious - they don't offer the warm hospitality that traditional ryokans do but, hey, they do a good job. And it is a hotel after all, not a ryokan. The carpark guys were especially helpful.

We didn't try the dinner in the hotel restaurant but we went to the separate ramen place. It opened at 8pm and we were the only ones there. It was ok. There's a little bridge running next to the hotel that crosses the river into the village. We'd recommend heading over there for lunch or dinner - seemed to be plenty of great options.

All in all, really great value for such a huge room and extensive facilities.

Oh, you should be warned... the hotel is a shabby looking old beast from the outside but nice inside.

Room Tip: I think Level 1 were all the huge rooms and they have the best access to the onsens :)
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank solosolo2014
Reviewed January 2, 2016 via mobile

Hotel has a lot of onsens (tattoo friendly) but is laid out strangely. You have to take 3 different elevators to get to an Onsen. The onsens are nice and basically opened 24 hours with the exception of cleaning times. You must eat before you get there unless you have the dinner plans, there is only a good pizza shop down the street. Also if you follow the directions from booking.com in google maps you will be across the river and have to figure your way over there. Good views from the room.

Stayed: January 2016