All reviews across the road train station food was amazing tatami mats sink forest host lobby ropeway yukata onsen japan countryside english cabin logs majority
Reviewed May 4, 2017 via mobile

I highly recommend this ryokan. We stayed at a much more expensive place earlier on our trip but the service at kato ryokan was warmer and friendlier. 2 things that sets a ryokan apart from a hotel.

Lots of character and personal style has gone into the construction of this place. It really tries very hard to highlight the heritage and specialties of the local area.

By the way food was amazing considering the price.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2016

+ Attractive lower mountain area with lots of easy to follow walking around an attractive traditional village with a few temples, & plenty of shops & restos
+ Very good location for walking around the much larger than expected village
+ Lovely views over the hills from breakfast room
+ Very big bedroom with own toilet
+ Kindly doubled up the futons to make more comfortable (without being asked)
+ Very quiet. Slept v well
+ As usual in Japan, very clean
+ Nice indoor / outdoor onsen, separate M/F.
+ Nice evening meal and breakfast
+ Only 100m turn right from the top of the Yoshino cable car (At Nov 16: 4 / hr, last up 5-40pm). Also next to top of footpath.
- not enough clothes storage space, but thats normal. the same as most other hotels / ryokan
- friendly staff. Some seemed a little inexperienced, but they all tried hard to please
- Only aircon based heating
- Old fashioned design / furniture

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gmbklm
Reviewed November 27, 2016

We have just spent 2 nights at the Ryokan Kato and I can honestly say, hand on heart, it is one of the best places I have ever stayed.
We arrived late afternoon, having caught the cable car up the mountain after getting off the train at Yoshino. We were delighted to see our names written up outside the ryokan, so we knew we were in the right place! We were then welcomed with tea and local sweets before being shown to our room. This was really spacious and extremely comfortable, with lovely mountain views. As is usually the case with ryokans, we didn't have our own bathroom, but we did have a sink in the room. The futons were extremely comfortable and I really liked the pillows (which were filled with buckwheat husks, I believe). The baths (onsen) were gorgeous, spotlessly clean and the outdoor area was articularly lovely at night, looking up at the stars while soaking in the tub.
The food was amazing, I can't really come up with enough superlatives to describe it! I have never had food like it and I'm not going to lie, to Western eyes some of it was bit unusual (but beautiful!) but we were game for trying everything and we were well rewarded for doing so - it was all delicious. The multi course japanese traditional dinner in particular was stunning, the dishes just kept on coming...! The breakfasts were excellent, too, and we loved the breakfast area with the view over the mountains. We had the Japanese breakfast one morning and the Western one the other morning - both really set us up for the day.
I loved the whole ryokan experience, from slipping into my yukata to the wonderful Japanese food to the relaxing outdoor bath (Honestly, I thought I'd be a bit freaked out by communal bathing, but really it's no big deal!)
On the final morning, it was chucking down with rain and the hostess of the ryokan actually insisted on driving us back down the hill to the station herself, rather than letting us walk back to the ropeway in the rain. She was so kind, and was absolutely lovely with our little boy.
We would love to come back to this ryokan one day and will certainly be recommending it to our friends. Yoshino is a beautiful place to visit and we are so glad we added it to our itinerary.
If you want to know what real hospitality is like, stay here! Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Fierydormouse
Reviewed November 4, 2016

Although we stayed during the middle of the week and the town and Ryokan itself was pretty empty, we really enjoyed our time there. The views were amazing and Junko was a great host. Definitely recommend to anyone visiting Japan.

Room Tip: It seems like all rooms had a great view.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Teang P
Reviewed October 26, 2016

It took a few minutes to walk from the rope way station to the ryokan. The ryokan is a traditional japanese style. The bedroom is large, and clean. There is no toilet in the bedroom. But the shared bathroom is sufficient. It has both indoor and outdoor onsen. The outdoor onsen is lovely.

The best part of this ryokan, I think, is the restaurant which is located on the edge of the mountain. So the view is beautiful. We went there in Autumn. I presumed that during the cherry blossom week, the view should be spectacular.

Room Tip: Rooms on the road side has a mountain view.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family