“Excellent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Koya-cho
Shojoshin-in Temple
Reviewed 2 April 2012

In my opinion this is the best temple to sleep in Koyasan. Quite big and there is very cold inside, but it's part of this place. You can join to monks to their prayer soon morning. It's nearest 'hotel' to Okunoin cemetery and their dinner is fabulous.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Best part of our trip to Japan. The monastery is beautiful and peaceful. Went with my husband and sons ages 10 and 13. Had a beautiful series of rooms, food was good (though the children were not quite ready for an only vegetarian diet). The morning ceremony was moving an beautiful, not to be missed. Also an easy walk through the cemetery at night, which was exquisite.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We recently spent one night at this temple lodging in Mt Koya. The building has lovely road appeal with very well maintained gardens. Our room was very spacious, with a lovely garden view and very comfortable futon. As it was still very chilly, there was a heater in the room which kept it nice and cosy and the monks even put fantastic hot water bottles in our beds while we were out having dinner. There was a wash basin in the room but the toilets and communal bathing areas were at the end of the corridor, which was no problem. Dinner was provided in the cost and was served while we were seated on the floor on traditional tatami mats. While the meal itself was not to my taste, I can appreciate the craft involved in preparing such an intricate meal. We were awoken at 6.15am to attend morning prayers and that was a wonderful experience too, followed by breakfast. The temples of Mt Koya are absolutely stunning and well worth the visit. My only complaint about the room would be that there were no chairs and after a few hours of sitting on the floor, our backs did suffer a little!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

One of the most beautiful steps of our 3 weeks trip around Japan. The rooms are really beautiful. The atmosphere is incredible and so calm. The food was served in a really pretty private dining room and was one of the most amazing meal we had in Japan.
The morning prayer must be seen!
If we have to find negative points, we noticed a lack of interaction with monks and the price is quite high.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2012

When I wrote my friend about this experience, right after coming back home, I described it as “Worth every penny”. When I come to think of it now, well, go there if you have some extra money because it is interesting but overpriced for what they offer. I stayed at a temple in Korea and I found the experience in Japan not as interactive. In Korea we had martial arts activity, tea ceremony, morning prayer, and they were all followed by explanation. In this Shinto temple, our experience was limited to the morning prayer. Like some people said, when having meal, you are segregated from others so it is not easy to mingle.
We booked the private room which later we found out was a private house (Harare). Imagine our consternation (on the good way) when we found ourselves with a Japanese house only for ourselves. What a perfect getaway it must be if you are traveling with your boyfriend/girlfriend!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jacktwist00
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Stayed at Shojoshin-in during December 2010.

Honestly one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited and a highlight of my trip to Japan.

After travelling by train and cablecar to Mount Koya (the journey to get there was a fantastic experience) we arrived at Shojoshin-in. We were immediately struck by how beautiful this place was - immaculate gardens and a typical Japanese temple - everything I imagined it would be.

We were greeted by the monks who live in the temple and they could speak English very well. I can speak some Japanese and it really added to the experience being able to speak with them in Japanese, however if you can't don't worry as their English is fantastic.

We were shown to our room which looked out toward the garden, absolutely beautiful. That night we were also provided with dinner - it was a real feast and one of the best meals I had in Japan.

In the morning you are invited to pray with the monks in the temple - words cannot describe how amazing this was but I will try:
6 am - head to the temple, everything is silent and there was a crisp mist
Inside the temple the monks are sitting down with their backs to you, chanting and singing in unison. As it was so cold their breath created a mist. You're really drawn into the chanting and it is something I;ve never experience before. I know it all sounds a bit corny but you just have to go there.

All in all a truly unique experience and if you are considering going there, it is a must. You will not regret it!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Louisecm
Reviewed 23 January 2012

If you visit Mount Koya, there is something spiritual leading you there. It's quite off route and to get there takes a long time and costs some good money.(that its totally worth it!). If you made it here, then you are not the usual tourist, making a place like Shojoshin-in even more special and a gateway to a relaxed stay. You can find a peaceful atomosphere since the moment you are received: the monks are extremely nice and amke everything at a small and quiet pace, no rushes like in the usual touristic accomodation The temple is beautifully preserved, the "rooms" are comfortable for a temple and the food is outstanding,e even if they only serve you vegetarian food- I was delighted with the taste you can achieve in such simple cuisine. In general Mount Koya is fairly small, but this temple is among the best locations as it is 5 minutes away from the famous cemetery and 10-15 minutes from the city centre and temple on the opposite direction. Sleeping time is quite early (dinner is at 6pm and doors close at 8pm) so you should be able to make it for the prayer the next morning at 5am in the morning- it's an extraordinary experience and even if you are not religious you will feel touched by the moment. Then you will have breakfast and can start visiting the local places starting at 8am (cemetery is open very early). If yiu go in Winter time like I did, it will be very cold but they have lots of blanketts, heaters all over the place and heated water so no worries. Sincerely don't expect luxuries but just the simple pleasure of being there. Shojoshi-in is the best temple to be in and I would return there without any doubt!

Room Tip: If you can, do splurge a little and go for the private room that is separated from the main building...