“A Sacred Mountain”
Review of Mt. Mocchomudake

Mt. Mocchomudake
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We stayed at the base of Mocchomudake, at the "Shinkinoyado" ryokan and each morning at breakfast the summit was shrouded in mist. When the mist cleared it revealed the glorious summit which towered 930m above us. The day we climbed Mocchomu, it was bathed in sunlight, giving us the opportunity to see uninterrupted vistas from every viewpoint. You also pass 2 ancient Yaku-sugis along the way and the only other people on the mountain were 2 Japanese hikers. What a wonderful day...thanks again to our guide Jenny (from Yakushima Life).

Reviewed October 4, 2016

This is a 9km (900m hight) hike to the top of the mountain. Very nice. Took us around 5h roundtrip from the waterfall. There is plenty of fresh water along the way, so just bring a bottle. Includes some minor climbing parts, so not really suited fro flip flops ;)

Reviewed April 16, 2015

Fantastic views from the summit which is a very worthwhile exercise in attaining. I wouldn't be keen to do this in wet weather or on a hot day.

Reviewed March 10, 2015

This is an excellent, if difficult, 7 hour round trip to the peak of one of the steep, coastal mountains on the south-east coast of Yakushima. We used the guiding skills of Steve Bell who runs 'Yes Yakushima' to provide an excellent service with plenty of history, background information and holiday snaps. Make sure he wears his hat because he is expert at bumping his head on all manner of low-lying branches too! The track is well marked, pretty much steep all the way (700m vertical in 2.8 km). There is reasonable exposure on the final ridge to the peak from the false summit, but it is mos definitely a walking track and not a climbing route, despite what some of the Japanese-language guidebooks say.
Highly recommended, especially on a clear day, but remember Yakushima gets a LOT of RAIN!!.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I chose this hike for my arrival day on yakushima cos it looked short and so I thought it'd be easy. Mistake. It was however, totally awesome.

I caught the 11:15am-ish bus from miyanoura that arrived at Hara at 12:15pm. I wandered up from the bus stop to the trailhead (which is next to the Senpironotaki falls). This got me onto the trailhead at 1pm (after checking out the falls). I would recommend making an earlier start as this start time left me racing against the clock to meet the last bus back to miyanoura (6:27pm) from Hara. I had mistakenly assumed that I would complete this walk in half the suggested time (like I had done for all the other walks I'd done in Japan so far). Advice: this walk WILL take you 4:30-5hrs (return) like the map at the trailhead tells you. If you are not that fit it will take you a lot longer as you'll want to stop for breaks.

Ok, so the walk. 25-30% gradient on average for the full walk I would guess. Yep, it's quite steep. Mostly tree roots...say 80% total track, because its strongly uphill (on the way up), walking on the tree roots is like walking up steps created by nature. Some stone sections 10-15%. Occasional short flat sandy path section 5-10%. About 6-10 rope sections...none particularly hard or long although the last one (taking you onto the actual peak is a bit scrambly). The difficulty of the rope sections (and the track generally) increases over the course of the track. Track just a touch difficult to follow if you arent really watching at parts so keep looking out for those pink duct tape strips tied to trees marking the trail.

Things to see on the way up...umm tree roots! You'll be looking down most of the time concentrating on foot placement. You are closed in by the forest til right near the top so the two sights are pretty much those two sugi marked out on the trail map.

Then after about two hours of straight uphill plodding you'll summit and come out onto a small open view area and look out to sea and down to the town. Nice view. But Ooops, you're not actually on moccho yet. I thought I had made it at this point and then realised the track kept going! Turned out to be a full 30-40 minutes more til I reached the top of moccho.

This final section on the track was the raddest and wettest. The foliage closes in on you from this point on so if the trees are damp you'll get soaked. Most of the rope sections are here and the track goes up and down along this section with a few short steep ascents and descents. So this is the most physical and most rewarding and most adventurous part of the track. You'll eventually have to take a rope section to scramble up the boulders on top of moccho. Be brave. You'll be rewarded with 360 degree views and a good spot to sit for lunch.

Because of the tree rootiness of the track it will take you almost as long to descend back to senpironotaki as it did to walk up.

Okay this track is for:
People with strong legs, strong minds and a quality set of ankles.
People who like to hike for hikings sake. I say this partly because for the first two hours you are basically locked into the trees and there are no wide sweeping vistas to be had. You gotta enjoy the gruelling uphill instead!
People who want an added level of adventure thrown in to their hike - this is not just an 'uphill walk', it's a proper sloggy, scrambly hike and you might acquire a few cuts and bruises (well I did anyway).
Days with reasonable weather. It was overcast when I did this walk but I still got the full view from the top and there was no wind.

This track is not for:
Bad weather days. I wouldn't want to walk all that way for no view... So not for low cloud days. Also if there were high winds that day, then you might find the final rope section too scary to attempt and you would be completely exposed once on the top. You really work for this summit so you wanna be able to enjoy just sitting there.
Moccho is not for people with ongoing ankle problems. The ground is far too uneven.
It's also not for completely inexperienced hikers and it's not for soft people prone to giving up.

What you realise when you come down is how much awesome you've just packed into a 5 hour hike. Nice waterfall at trailhead. Rough, tough, uphill hike. Sugi. Rope sections. And a summit with an awesome view.

Mocchomudake is tough but it totes worth it.

3  Thank Suzbuster