Review Highlights
Beautiful Paddling Destination

Beautiful park, especially shoulder season. Paddled George, Killarney and OSA last November and am... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
SaraMcRoy
via mobile
One of the best parks!

Such a fantastic provincial park! Gorgeous views, fantastic hiking trails, great camp sites. Ours... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Rasmuss89
London, Canada

All reviews george lake provincial park hiking trails long weekend bug spray peace and quiet day hike rent a canoe comfort station beautiful scenery camping experience main beach crack lakes campsite silver peak
Selected filters
Reviewed September 20, 2020 via mobile

Exploring this Provincial Park will take more than a one day visit and we can’t wait to return. For Group of Seven fans this is the ultimate destination. Jaw dropping views, multicolored rocky landscapes and beautiful water everywhere - a photographers paradise! Make sure you wear sturdy boots, carry drinking water and snacks and be prepared to scramble over rocks. For someone used to the well marked Bruce Trail as we were, this was a bit of a challenge with faded markets painted on rocks and broken plastic markers on occasional trees. The welcome centre was excellent and clean washrooms welcome.

Reviewed September 12, 2020

Great Provincial Park with awesome hiking trails with gorgeous panoramic views!! Fall colours are spectacular!!

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed September 11, 2020

Spectacular park. We spent the day canoeing on George Lake, the beautiful scenery the peace and quiet(no motor boats) was amazing. The mountains are like no other in Ontario. I would highly recommend a trip to this park we will definitely be returning.

Reviewed September 7, 2020

We purchased a day pass to the park as we were renting a nearby cottage. We rode our bikes throughout the park and to the Chikansking (sp?) trail. Beautiful views.

1  Thank J5876BPjudyb
Reviewed August 19, 2020

We hiked the Crack as a day hike. It took us 3 1/2 hours to get to the top and just under 3 hours to get down again. We carried heavy packs. We were meant to start early, but we didn't manage to, so by the time we were at the trail head it was already 10.20 am. This is too late at this time of year because there is not much shade on the trail and it gets very hot.

It was a very difficult hike and I struggled a lot because I'm quite short so I sometimes found that my legs were too short for the next step and people had to help me. I didn't think the view was worth it at all. I'm Swedish and I've seen many similar views with zero effort. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice view, but I struggle to see what is so incredibly special about it. I'm glad we did this hike because I really wanted to do it, but I'd never do it again. Lots of people turned back around 1 km from the top. We persevered and made it. Because of how dangerous some parts are, I could not in all conscience recommend this hike to anyone. Make up your own mind if you want to do it. There are three parts. Forest, rock dunes and rocks/boulders. The only wildlife we saw was a chipmunk. The forest was very quiet.

If you go, bring more water than you think you need. We brought enough, but some people at the top, including families with small children, had already run out of water and still had to walk down again. Bring lunch too and maybe something to sit on as well.

If you are staying at an Ontario campground, you do not need to pay for parking. Just leave the camping slip on the dash. There were dogs of all shapes and sizes on this trail, as well as young children. It was a very busy trail and we were rarely out of ear-shot of people.

The trail markers are orange and then orange and blue then blue. You will most likely lose sight of the markers now and then. We did a few times, but didn't diverge very far and easily found the trail again.

Bear in mind people sometimes have to be rescued on this trail. Make sure you leave enough energy to get down again. The trail is 7 km long round-trip, but I can confirm that my husband's FitBit recorded a distance of 14 km. We had no aches or pains after the hike, but it was challenging and quite exhausting with the heavy packs. Try to pack light. I have attached pictures of the different types of surface on the trail. Hopefully you will find these pictures helpful. Enjoy the hike.

Date of experience: August 2020