All reviews sea view food was amazing swimming pool superior room steam room wedding venue exclusive use restaurant manager wedding breakfast a la carte menu daughters wedding roof terrace bar menu amazing views lounge area staff were really friendly stunning location
Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

On arriving earlier than check in we were made to feel like an inconvenience as rooms were not ready until 3! We didn't ask to go to our room just to check in after along journey. No offer of a drink or somewhere to wait. Booked online and reservation was in my partners name even though he was just the plus one. I had a booking reference but was made to feel as if I was in the wrong. Customer service needs work doing on it! Anyway we waited until 3.00 and checked in the room had a lovely view from the balcony of the bay. The room and bathroom were an OK size. TV hairdryer rear coffee no biscuit or hot chocolate! In the bathroom it wasn't the cleanest and the shower screen didn't prevent the floor getting soaked. We also had to ask for towels one day as they were taken and not replaced. As a dog friendly hotel we took ours with us. We were on the third floor and right next to the door that everyone used to access the floor. Not a happy dog as she could hear every noise. She could only go in our room and outside this to me does not make it dog friendly. We opted for breakfast omly as all the local pubs allow dogs. The breakfasts were definitely not consistent. The first two days the breakfasts were lovely. Muesli, pastries. Juice etc. Full English or fish options. After that there was always something missing and the full English left a lot to be desired. There was a lack of cutlery too. If you requested sauce it came In a dish but other than pouring it out no spoon. The pool was lovely and clean. The other facilities were squashed into the changing rooms! Going in August it is obviously wedding season and I think this is all the hotel is interested in. There was a wedding when we were there and they obviously find it stressful. Such a shame. We wouldn't recommend for the price or return.

4  Thank Samanthia
Reviewed August 22, 2018 via mobile

We turned up at this hotel and were very happy . The views are amazing the terrace looked very nice (its on top of the pool ).We were checked in by a very nice lady and given our room key (7) we were greeted by a very stiff room door but once in though dated the room was very large with its fabulous sea view . The bathroom again whilst very large with a big corner bath was also rather dated and fitted with a mixer tap type shower I was slightly disappointed.
The next morning we had no water in the room which to us is a major issue , after ringing reception for over ten minutes and getting no reply I decided to walk to reception no staff there . The number to call in the absence of staff rang for ten more minutes and finally picked up by “Richard” who frankly didn’t give a toss and said he didn’t start till 8am and his maintenance man didn’t start till 8-30 !
Un showered and unhappy we went for breakfast which was very nice no musili on offer with the other badic cereal selection .
After breakfast I went back to reception to find a very helpful chap called ‘phillip’ and his maintenance man who followed us to the room . He diagnosed a faulty tap and would try and fix it . Phillip then arrives and is very appolagetic and offers us a new room , a balcony room at the top of the building . This one was much more modern and did have a delegate shower ( which worked well ).
So the shower saga sorted on to the restaurant , staff ,food and facilities.
Restaurant and lounge area are very swish and well decorated with the fabulous sea views , food is very good and the staff were very good !
Pool and sauna looked good although we didn’t use it .
All in all a mixed stay at sandy cove hotel .
For the room rate I was less than impressed but the view from the room was great the food was what I would expect and very very nice , most of the staff were very good too ( Richard needs to up his game ) .

I would not rule out another visit but to be honest I prefer Cornwall to north Devon so probably won’t be back .

Reviewed August 18, 2018

Been camping, the first week in Cornwall & the second week in Devon. Although Cornwall is beautiful, every day when we were visiting places we spent hours stuck in traffic which was very frustrating, whereas in North Devon traffic flows a lot easier with no queues & some of the most stunning beaches we’ve seen anywhere in the world. We camped very close to this hotel and actually had lunch in there one day, while having lunch we enquired to see if they had any vacancies for the last day of our holiday. The receptionist was very accommodating & let us have a special offer & we only had to pay for breakfast for our children, they stayed for free. We had to leave the campsite quite early in the morning but they let us have our room early as it was ready. The kids loved using the swimming pool and we enjoyed the sauna, the food was excellent & we found all the staff very helpful. There is a beach right next to the hotel called Broadsands, it is stunning but has a lot of steps down to it.....So I think it is definitely Devon that gets our vote & we’ll definitely go back to this hotel again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank samburnett8891
Reviewed August 13, 2018

We stayed in a room on the top floor with a balcony and brilliant sea view. Firstly we were told by the receptionist that was not a lift, and our room was up 2 flights of stairs. The room was quite small as was the bathroom. Very small hand basin and narrow bath with shower over. The first flight of stairs was very old and steep with very small treads. The room and bathroom were very clean, but the bed was like trying to sleep on board. New beds are a priority in my view.
Meals were very long in the waiting but, were delicious when they arrived at the table. I would say although most of the staff were pleasant enough but, certainly lacked training. They greeted us with the phrase Hi Guys, well, as we are both in our 70s I think that might go down ok with younger guests. Most didn't have much personality, but I think that was down to lack of training. All our evening meals took at least 45-55 minutes to come out of the kitchen.

Stayed: August 2018
3  Thank N8440PDBarbaraS
Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in high season and was very impressed with the level of friendliness from the staff they are a credit to the hotel. Fantastic views and great walks from hotel. Comfortable beds and spacious room. Lovely swimming pool and sauna steam room. Terrace is a great place for an evening meal or drink. Looks like a great wedding venue. All the food ingredients are top notch and you may wait a little for the food as it’s all cooked to order.

1  Thank CommanderBiro