“Wonderful location”
Review of Pension Gimmelwald

Pension Gimmelwald
Ranked #2 of 3 Gimmelwald B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I had a great experience at this hotel and thought it was a great value considering the beautiful location. Great service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Pension Gimmelwald

Reviewed 8 October 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the pension two weeks ago at the end of September. As a single traveler who had been to Gimmelwald twice before and stayed at the Mountain hostel, which I have a soft spot in my heart for, I wanted to have a little more space at the end of my 3 weeks of travels to unwind in Gimmelwald. The Pension was the perfect place for this. They actually had the "hermit room" or "artist's room" available, and I chose this very comfortable, no frills and inexpensive option. It was its own just the right size space in the attic, and very cozy; for about the same price I would have paid at the hostel. I saw the other rooms, and they looked comfortable as well. The showers were very good, and I never had to wait for one despite the fact that they were shared among several rooms - not an issue at all. I had the breakfast one day, and it was excellent. The staff was great. I immediately felt comfortable in my surroundings, and Sabina and Phil both took an interest in helping me with anything I requested, from the room, to good hiking advice. The restaurant and patio is such a great atmosphere, especially in the late afternoon/evening, when you can sit for hours with a stunning view of the alps and make friends among other travelers (which I did each night). The Pension is situated just above the hostel, which I see as a plus, because there is just the right space and interaction if you want privacy or would like to go hang out at the hostel bar with other travelers later after the Pension restaurant has closed. The pension itself is rustic, and lovely, and they even have an "honesty store" as you enter, where you can buy gifts using the honor code. I really loved this place and hope to be back again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ShepinLA
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We loved our 4 night stay at the pension Gimmelwald. The staff was fantastic, friendly and helpful with traveling and with hikes. LOVED that they had a guitar hanging on the wall for anyone to play. LOVED the patio with the view of the alps and the alpenglow sunsets. Only downside was that the wifi was not very good wherever you were, and our beds were not the most comfortable we've slept on. But hey, you're in the mountains, what can you expect. The food there was spectacular! Great job Chef Phil!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 13 August 2011

What a breathtaking view! Pension Gimmelwald is strategically located fronting the snowcap mountain. And its just few minutes from the cablecar.

The place is neat. The comfort room and our room is so tidy. And they have this most comfortable part of the pension house, its the couch outside facing the mountain. Love to have coffee there and some great talks. Everyday the mountain looks different.

Service is good too. And the price is just right. My insomnia was totally gone because Gimmelwald never knew insomnia as well as the room we stayed.

I definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Pension Gimmelwald is right beside the Honesty shop and I think its the only shop in Gimmelwald...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dysanregidor
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We went into this trip not really having high expectations but were blown away by the experience we had here at Pension Gimmelwald. It was by no means a high end hotel but it was everything anyone would need. We had a clean comfortable room and this was the first time we had to "share" a bathroom and it was a good experience. The staff was very nice and very very helpful and had time to talk to us and tell us more about the hotel and themselves. The food was wonderful too!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We felt like we were staying in a creaky old summer-camp cabin, and we enjoyed every minute of it. The carpet is threadbare, the furniture is tired, and the shared bathrooms are simply functional, but that's all part of the charm. You're in Gimmelwald to live simply, and that's what you get at the Pension. The views are mind-blowing, and surprisingly, the food at the Pension's restaurant was excellent too. Just make sure you confirm your reservation a few days before you arrive - they had lost ours, but still had a room available.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We traveled to Switzerland with aspirations to find Swiss culture. We found Gimmelwald and thought it would be a wonderful place to stay in the Swiss Alps. Pension Gimmelwald is a clean and cozy place, wonderful staff, but our expectations were to experience traditional Swiss culture. The hotel is owned by a great English couple, but were we’re looking for more of a Swiss culture. I was surprised to find that everyone we met was from the U.S. ... Really! It's a great place to hike in the Swiss Alps, I just wish they had kept the culture. The only reason I give a recommendation is the staff. They were fun! PS. Don't go to the hostle!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katz67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gimmelwald
1.9 km away
1.7 km away
Hotel Alpina
Hotel Alpina
#6 of 11 in Murren

Been to Pension Gimmelwald? Share your experiences!